RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

so what's up with this ?

has a street price been set as of yet ?
and has any Explorer owner here ordered one yet ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hint Hint... Call your local RCD dealer end of this week for pricing and availability... If they don't know, tell them to find out!!! Please don't call RCD direct though. I've heard a (cough cough) rumor. ;)

What a coincidence!

I just went down to my 4-wheel shop this morning to ask them about the kit. They quoted me a price of $2500. Don't know if that's low or high, so others should post the prices they get.

EDIT: Oh, and they said it was about a week backordered. RCD told the shop they have 3 or 4 kits ready to ship.

I was just at 4WP

they told about $1800 for the kit. And they can get them now.:eek: Don't know how correct this is though :rolleyes:

how bout driveshafts? does rcd sell a new front like superlift?

holy cow! $2500!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, but you've got to remember the local shop markup and tax. 4 Wheel Parts can offer it cheap because they are a national chain and do mainly mail order.

$2500 seems high... I would shop around for sure. I didn't know 4 wheel parts sold our kits, that's interesting. We've got a handy dandy little fix that seems to work great and eliminate the need of upgrading the driveshaft.

Would you be able to shed some light on the driveshaft trick? Is it something that can be used with other suspension brand lifts?

Are the price of these kits for front end components and all 4 shocks or just for front shocks only? I'm pretty sure I read that there is no rear lift included with the kit.

little fix? the only thing i could think of is that you bring the axle in closer and shorten the wheelbase slightly.

Hey Mascman,
thats a sweet ride. i have a red '99 sport as well. whats the lift? bl and TT/shackles? so whats up with that steering joint, where did you get it and hows it work?

The kit is front and rear for a ranger. No one has measured their rear leafs for me so I still don't know if our rear kit will work on the Explorers. This is a COMPLETE kit with shocks, alignment cams, brakelines, litterally EVERYTHING you'll need with NO hidden costs!!! The driveshaft thingy is simple and might work with other kits. It'll bolt onto a stock truck if you wanted. I can't tell you if it'll fix other kits problems cause I don't know how bad their driveshaft angles are. We kept ours as minimal as possible because of the knowledge from other kits having problems with the shaft.

BTW, MascMan, cool pic of the daughter jumping the quad!!!

sounds good. will you be able to order the front kit seperately? what colors will it come in?

$2500 WOW!!!! cost me a quarter of that for the SAS, why is it so much? and for the rear, is it a SOA? or new lift springs and shocks? I believe the rear springs are 58.5".... but from what I hear, ranger springs will not work on an explorer, being that they are narrower.

The width is what I was needing. The rear is a LONG AAL that actually flexes *****IN!!! On ours we took out the stock overload leaf and it's AWESOME!!! We also have an extended Shackle that is used.

The price is mostly in the Shocks. Have you priced a set of c/o shocks lately? Bilsteins on top of that? If we just through in plain generic white shocks the price would be DRASTICALLY lower. Also, we feel our kit is THAT much better then any on the market.

Like I said $2500 is HIGH... You should find it way less then that, shop around.

Also, like it's been discussed many times on TONS of boards, if you did a SAS then this kit was never intended to be marketed towards you...

Congrats that you got yourself a SAS for 1/4 of our kit. My L/T TTB front end cost me $3500 alone and my rear setup was another $1000 so I'm considering this kit cheap in my eyes. I'll bet your's rockcrawls and muds with the best!!! Mine is about 2 weeks from Hauling ass and jumping with the best again (due to an accident). This kit will get you out on the trail and do a little of everything!!!

Does your *fix* constitute rotating the transfer case to correct the driveshaft angle? It's just a metall plate the relocates where the kit is screwed in. I've seen it a lot on the new 4"+ kits.

-Justin

No, we actually give you a part that modifies your driveshaft. The transfer case/transmission stays put. The front end stays in place, just moves down and if I remember right gains a little track width but don't quote me on that!!!

I wasn't trying to bust you out, just inquiring. I helped my dad put a 6" Skyjacker on his buddies new 03 Dodge Hemi 4x4 (ahh *Drool*) and that's what that kit uses, so I was just wondering. Actually, I just drank beer and fetched tools, but hey. I love the RCD kits tho, my friend has one on his Taco that he switched to from, don't quote me on this, but I think ti was some POS Traildisaster. Anyway, keep up the good work and I'm so ready to see someone on this board with one!

-Justin

BonesDT- After putting on a 3"BL, I lengthened the stock steering shaft by cutting and welding in a small section. This worked for a while and then I got a lot of play where the shaft slides apart.

I went to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and got a U-joint with the same ID as the OD of the steering shaft. Basically made a double jointed steering shaft out of a stock one. It works great and no problems yet...heck of a lot cheaper than a Flaming River shaft also. By the way, Mcmaster-carr is an awesome place to get parts for fabbing stuff up.
Here's my, uh...shaft:
SteeringJoint.jpg

Right now my lift is the TT and 3" bl. All my components just arrived for my 4" suspension from someone that sirhk100 doesn't work for. Sorry about that sirhk100, but I didn't think I could afford this VERY AWESOME RCD LIFT! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No hard feelings... gotta do what you gotta do!!! What did you get?

JMT, there was no insult or anything in my post... I was just saying don't quote me on the wider track width cause off the top of my head without digging through the notes I don't remember so if I'm wrong, don't kill me!!!:D

Back