RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

I'm going with 4.56 and later maybe bodylift with 35 or 36" tires.

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you need the bearing splitter or dial ind. let me know i've also got pinion bearings i've dremeled so you can slide them on to check depth.

Good luck with your front.. I've got one sitting on the work bench at my house w/410s out of a ranger, just waiting to go in the front. The problem with the front is the carrier shims go on the carrier before the bearings... dremel out your old bearings and use them to check your pattern. Beats pressing on and off your new bearings.

If you need the bearing splitter or dial ind. let me know i've also got pinion bearings i've dremeled so you can slide them on to check depth.

Good luck with your front.. I've got one sitting on the work bench at my house w/410s out of a ranger, just waiting to go in the front. The problem with the front is the carrier shims go on the carrier before the bearings... dremel out your old bearings and use them to check your pattern. Beats pressing on and off your new bearings.

I have a complete rebuild kit and will use the old ones as setup bearings.

CMAX

Did your new coilovers match the factory shock angles? i threw an angle finder on my factory shock and found 5 degrees top raked forward, 5 deg. on the frame, making for a 10 deg shock front rake, and 10 deg. rake outward away from the frame. I'm just asking if the degrees of the coilover matter. If you were to say fab up a new upper shock mount to the factory angles.

well most people you talk to will tell you to run any shock at 90* at full bump, however for non-racing and mostly daily driven applications, it doesn't matter, especially if it's only a matter of 10* either way.

Question:

If any of you noticed my "911" situation on my other thread last weekend:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215305

I've got to ditch my torsion bars because I've grenaded my left torsion mount. I just got a new job after a dry spell and money is extermely tight at the moment. My thought is to do this mod but it will require buying the Superlift and then paying more for the RCD bracketry.

Then it occurred to me: money is tight and I don't really need more lift right now, so why not just use the RCD bracketry to ditch the torsion bars?

So the question is: does a coilover shock exist with shorter compressed/extended dimensions that I could use if I simply did the RCD conversion without the extra 4" Superlift? :help:

I don't want to do it this way since I know that I'll eventually go with the lift and have to buy another set of longer shocks, but for the moment I have to figure out how to get my Explorer moving again ASAP for the absolute least amount of money I am forced to spend.

Well you can get a 5" or 6.5" travel 2.0" diameter coilover. you'll have to measure the extended and collapsed lengths between the shock mounts after you figure out how you will be mounting the coilovers(to figure out which length will fit the application), unless someone already has these dimensions with the same setup you're planning on running. That would take care of the current situation.....if later on you add the superlift, you might need a longer shock to compensate for the added lift..

As far as i know Fox is the only company that sells a 5" and 6.5" coilover...but i would figure out the extended and collapsed dimensions of the steup you plan on running and then obviously pick your shock length based on that.

The first pg of this thread notes a collapsed/extended dimensions of the RCD shocks as approx 14"/19" so I assume I am looking for a shock for my non-suspension lifted application of somewhere around 10"/16" or thereabouts. That is my question: does Fox or another company make something like that; and if so, what is the part number?

Here are the part numbers for Fox Coilover shocks.

COIL-OVER SHOCKS
2.0 SERIES EMULSION
(.625 DIAMETER SHAFT)
PART NUMBER TRAVEL - - - DESCRIPTION FINISH EXT. COL. LIST PRICE
980-99-041-A 3.5 C/O EMULSION BLUE,CADMIUM 13.10 9.65 $235.00
980-02-041-A 3.5 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CADMIUM 13.10 9.65 $235.00
980-03-041-A 3.5 C/O EMULSION BLUE,CHROME 13.10 9.65 $285.00
980-04-041-A 3.5 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CHROME 13.10 9.65 $285.00

980-99-000-A 5.0 C/O EMULSION 16.40 11.30 $235.00
980-02-000-A 5.0 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CADMIUM 16.40 11.30 $235.00
980-03-000-A 5.0 C/O EMULSION BLUE,CHROME 16.40 11.30 $285.00
980-04-000-A 5.0 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CHROME 16.40 11.30 $285.00

980-99-001-A 6.5 C/O EMULSION BLUE,CADMIUM 19.35 12.85 $235.00
980-02-001-A 6.5 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CADMIUM 19.35 12.85 $235.00
980-03-001-A 6.5 C/O EMULSION BLUE,CHROME 19.35 12.85 $285.00
980-04-001-A 6.5 C/O EMULSION BLACK,CHROME 19.35 12.85 $285.00

Hope this helps.

Chad

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I think I'll go ahead and order the RCD brackets and then match the shock to what I have once the RCD brackets are installed. It does look like Fox makes some shorter ones that may work.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I think I'll go ahead and order the RCD brackets and then match the shock to what I have once the RCD brackets are installed. It does look like Fox makes some shorter ones that may work.

Thats going to throw off the geom of the stock shock. By moving the lower mount over (to clear the CV) without lifting the suspension, the coilover will be raked much more rearward (the bottom of the shock \ <-like this) I don't know how it will effect performance, ride quality, introduce bind? If at all.

For the shock it's not much of an issue, compared to the spring. The spring geometry is very important. As the angle and/or mounting points change, the effective spring rates change. It is simple geometry math though, use a little math to calculate the changes from moving those points.

shocks

Fellas,

I have been pushing these shocks for awhile, they are top notch, used by by both NASCAR, stock and truck serries. Most all of them are adjustable and they have both chrome and red threaded bodies. Just check em out and the prices are very reasonable.

QA1 Shocks http://www.carrerashocks.com/motorsports.html

Well i got my coil overs... hyper coil 750s and fox shocks :) they will be here next week

I needed some info about the bumpstops !!

how much room should there be between the end of the rubber and where it would hit ?

I don't have much room at all,maybe enough to stick a finger in between,but thats it ?

Also going over to a buddies shop and were going to try and take out a leaf and hopefully lower the rear 1-3/4" .
any advice as to what leaf in the 4dr leafpack we should take off ??

anything else we need to do to the springpack ??

Which shocks? 6.5 or 8.5

CMAX

Parts are all bought. Next step, INSTALL :)

P1010004-7.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010005-7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:

Back