re-programming key fob question

goewyn

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 UK Spec
Hi,

I'm attempting to programme a new key fob to my explorer.

The manual was a little vague, so i thought i'd ask before i lock myself out.

The local Ford dealer hasnt got a clue and said he's need the car in the garage for 2 days to do it !!!!

Any links or advise you lot can offer me?

Much appreciated.

Sam.
Plymouth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the remote or the key itself ? Do a search as both have been covered a number of times. Hope that helps.

Sorry,
i should have clarified.

It's for the key imobiliser/unlocking.

The Manual says :
"Turn ignition from Off to Run 5 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN.
All doors will lock and unlock to confirm programming mode.
Within 20 seconds, press any button on the remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.Within 20 seconds, press any button on the 2nd remote (up to 4 can be programmed).
Turn ignition OFF. Locks will cycle to confirm end of programming. "

I just wanted to check this was correct for the UK Explorer and the BOSCH single button type remote fob.

I'm just checking i'm about to do the right thing beore i mess it up and get locked out.

Thanks.

Well i attempted the fob programming on my '98 ex but no joy.
I tried a few combos too. off/on 5 times, 6 times, 7 times, 8 times, 9 times and 10 times.
None would trigger into the 'programing mode' by unlocking/locking all the doors.

My main issue is the clarity for the 'off' 'run' settings.

I used 'off' as the position you first put the key into the ignition. and 'run' as 2 clicks up from this point but not the top which starts the engin.

Have i got the off and run positions wrong?

Any ideas?

Cheers :)

I had a new fob programmed a while back took about an hour.The trick seemed to be leaving it 5 seconds between phases to make car go into "learn" mode.

I have reprogrammed fobs myself (NOT keys) on 2 Explorers. A '98 and my current '00. It goes like this:

Sit in the driver's seat and make sure all the doors are closed.
Insert the key in the ignition switch.
Switch on/off 8 times WITHIN 10 SECONDS.
The sequence is actually on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on.
At the 8th 'on' leave it in the 'on' position and all the locks will cycle.
Now press any button on the the existing working key fob.
The locks will cycle again.
Now press any button on the 'new' key fob.
The locks will cycle again and the new fob is programmed.
Switch off the ignition and you're done.

It can be done in about 30 secs with a bit of practice.

One thing to remember - if your 'new' fob has been used on another vehicle it will still unlock the other vehicle as well as your own.

There's a similar routine for enabling/disabling the automatic lock feature (but I don't know what it is...)

Hope this helps

Simon H

Ok,

Update.

Still no joy.
The fob's i've got are the bosch single button ones.
Apparently my local Ford dealer doesnt even know how it's meant to be programmed.

I've tried leaving it 5 seconds between on/off and also doing it 8 times within 10 seconds.
Nothing can get it to go into 'learn' mode.

Apparently there are 3 types of security systems in the UK explorers built between 94 and 00.
2 of which are easy enough to do, but the 3rd is impossiable. But i cant tell which i have unless i take it somewhere and plug it into a computer to read off.

I've been quoted £80 odd for the privilage at my local, it's no so much the money as the fact that they dont really watch to touch it anyway and have tried to put me off booking for 2 weeks now.

Does everyone else have the 2 original fobs with their explorers?
My problem is that i only ever got 1.

I've also been told i need to program 1 from the other... anyone done this?

the drama continues.....

I think you need to use the 97 explorer type (single button) which is. Cycle ignition from off to run 5 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(up to 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn ignition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

PS I think off is the first position from putting in the key and on is when the dash lights are on.

Have been trying on my 97 using the single button remote.
I have tried starting at run, starting at off 5 times all the way up to 10 times and it just will not cycle the door locks.
It is such a pain.
Are we missing something vital on these earlier models?
NW Explorer when you say the trick seems to be leave a 5 second gap, Can you explain in more detail please
thanks

still not happening

I've attempted again leaving pauses between cycles, and various combinations.

Now i know it's not just me that cant activate 'learn' mode, i suspect it will never happen.

Jonsco, is yours an 'R' reg ?

Do you have the 2 original fobs?

Anyone else have any luck programming the single button fobs?

Cheers,

: )

OK, it seems we have 2 or 3 different systems spread out over the years. The '98 (S reg) and '00 (X reg) that I programmed had the 2 button remote (with a third red panic button hidden under the cover - sorry to complicate matters!). The thing I found difficult at first was getting all the on / off sequence done in less than 10 secs. 'On' is when the ignition lights come on. 'Off' is the position where the key can be removed / inserted, not the 'back-one-click' acc position. And American & Canadian key fobs work on different frequencies to UK fobs and can't be programmed to UK spec vehicles so don't bother buying a cheapie from eBay USA like what I did! :(
The keys for the vehicles I reprogrammed are the asymetrical type like THIS and the key fobs look like THIS
I have bought both my Explorers 2nd hand. The '98 came with 2 keys and 2 fobs. When I did the trade-in deal for the '00 I noticed that it had 2 keys but only 1 fob - so I kept one from the '98 and programmed it into the '00 when I took delivery.

Cheers,
Simon H

Mine is 97 Year registered mid Dec 96. My remote is a Bosch single button. Same as used on Scorpio's of the early 90's to operate there alarm system.
When I got the EX it came with 1 Standard key and one fob, so I bought another, it was an insurance idea. Fob goes faulty no can use EX. Can't find anything about reprogramming Fobs in the Owners guide, code on back enRHD1196. The only thing that is suggested is giving the EX and Fobs to the Ford Dealer and let them reprogam the lot. I have been quoted around 2 Hours labour so about £100.
Does anyone have a proper Ford Manual, dealer workshop type or a mate who could have a look at one

when mine was done at ford dealer they had to fax /e-mail ford in us to get a code to load to get learning program going.

Thanks for that, suddenly it makes things so much more clear.

I can actually talk to the local ford dealership and get them organised first so they don't finish up keeping the EX longer than they need to.
Especially with the weather we are currently having in Sunny Scarborough actually had to use the 4WD to get out of our road on Thursday morning

Jonsco,
Did you ever get this sorted?
BTW, I'm staying in Scarborough tomorrow (Thursday 29th) for a night - what's the snow situation over there?

Cheers
Shytot4x4

Fobs

Ok guys

The Bosch single button fob is an imobiliser system you have to push the button to start with ignition put the flashing red light out. To programe another one of these it needs to go on Ford diagnostics. The Ford Probe & Granarda/Scorpio had a simular system.
The other system is a 2 button lock & unlock system the imobiliser part of the system is in the key itself separate to the fob. To programe this rapidly turn ignition on/off eight times within ten seconds the locks should lock & unlock this means it is in programming mode
push any button on remote it will then lock & unlock straight after that push any button on your second remote it will lock &unlock again now both your remotes are programed.
If you were near to kent I would do it for you.

jonsco said:
Mine is 97 Year registered mid Dec 96. My remote is a Bosch single button. Same as used on Scorpio's of the early 90's to operate there alarm system.
When I got the EX it came with 1 Standard key and one fob, so I bought another, it was an insurance idea. Fob goes faulty no can use EX. Can't find anything about reprogramming Fobs in the Owners guide, code on back enRHD1196. The only thing that is suggested is giving the EX and Fobs to the Ford Dealer and let them reprogam the lot. I have been quoted around 2 Hours labour so about £100.
Does anyone have a proper Ford Manual, dealer workshop type or a mate who could have a look at one

The reason they have quoted that price is to allow for any diagnostic crashes that occur during the programming sequence. It does take a while to do. the tech has to sit in your vehicle and not be disturbed he has to watch the flashing led light sequences to know when to push the button on fobs.
I would take to your dealer and let them do it. £100 is probably a frightner because they want to do it. I will have a chat to my Ford tech buddy for you and see what he says. You may have to take a trip to south east UK for him to do it for you.

Key fob program

Shytot,
Still works after 2 years in cyberspace! Thanks to all who contribute.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone actually have a definative solution to the one button remote problem, or is it all just speculation? I have a 'P' reg and one remote not working, the other a bit flakey. If it packs up too, do I just scrap the car?

Back