Read to bypass ur lom!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Read to bypass ur lom!!!!

Ok so finally we have relief. I got a chance to talk to a ford technician and he got me the schematic for the wiring. He showed me how to bypass this damned module. All you need to do is cut 4 wires and reconnect them. The only thing u lose is ur computer will no longer tell you that one of ur headlights is no longer working.

1. Unplug module.

2. Cut the White/Light Green wire. aka. pin 1

3. Cut the Dark Blue/ white wire. aka. pin 11

4. Soldier and heat wrap wires. from step 2-3

5. Cut Dark Blue/Light Green Wire aka. pin 12

6. Cut Dark Green/ Orange Wire. aka pin 13

7. Soldier and heat wrap wires. from step 5-6.

8. Reconnect plug with all remaining wires to Lom.
Worked perfectly for me. I assume this will help all of you that are trying to do the hid upgrade also.

The schematic is posted here also a blow up of the light out module.
http://lightsoutmodule.shutterfly.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eureka!

This is exactly what I needed. I am on a business trip right now but I plan to do this as soon as I am back with my beloved Explorer.

Thanks! Especially because my dealer now says that a replacement module is discontinued and no longer available.

anybody had good success with this? Just bought a 2003 explorer, HID's are a must on EVERY car I've owned.

Can someone confirm this procedure is accurate and post this as a sticky if it is?

i have the schematic and i did it myself. it works perfectly

I don't think that the title is accurate / true. This doesn't totally by pass the module as other circuits are also connected for other monitor events. Further the "connect the wires" might need a bit more "expansion" otherwise you are likely to cause future issues (intermittent connections) for people.

i was assuming everyone knows how to properly connect the wires(eg. soldier and cover with heat shrink) and yes after you join these wires you need to reconnect the lom so that you dont use anything else(all i had problems with was my headlights). mine is still connected to all but those 4 wires. I have had my bypass for about a week with no issues. I also checked with the ford tech and he told me he has done it for other people before and they have had no further issues. So good luck.

I don't think that the title is accurate / true. This doesn't totally by pass the module as other circuits are also connected for other monitor events. Further the "connect the wires" might need a bit more "expansion" otherwise you are likely to cause future issues (intermittent connections) for people.

I updated accordingly. Hope this helps yall.

Can someone confirm this procedure is accurate and post this as a sticky if it is?

I've put it in the Lighting Forum FAQs with the other LOM repair posts.:D

anybody had good success with this? Just bought a 2003 explorer, HID's are a must on EVERY car I've owned.

im not sure if this will work on explorers of other years the schematic was only for 95-96 i think

im three months out and my lights are still working like a charm. also i noticed right when i did the bypass that the headlights seemed just a little brighter.

I did not note any difference in brightness after the bypass because I already had the harness installed.

what type of harness?

It is a heavy duty headlight harness that uses the stock wiring only to trigger relays, allowing the main current draw to come directly from the battery. This reduces high voltage wear on the LOM which was likely the main reason for them failing. With current direct from the battery through heavier gauge wires, my headlight output was increased by 10% as measured with a photographic light meter. I obtained my harness from LMCtruck.com. Took all of about 20 minutes to install with only tools needed to remove battery cables. Cost was $30.

man i really wish i had found out about that harness before i burned out my lom it would have saved me a lot of headache.

ok i jsut got hids installed and am having trouble with my console display telling me to check headlamps..will this mod help? and is there anyway i could get any more ino such as where this is located and a little more detailed instrusctions..i have a 1996 explorer limited if that makes any difference. thsnk you.for the help.

This mod will eliminate the error message. All you need do is pullout the message center, unplug the module, and follow the instructions for splicing the the wires.

I did this tonight and it seems to be working well. Should I also install the heavy duty headlight harness mentioned above or will this fix be all I need to do?

I did this tonight and it seems to be working well. Should I also install the heavy duty headlight harness mentioned above or will this fix be all I need to do?
That SHOULD resolve your problems, but I did the harness anyway and glad I did. The light boost does make a difference. And I have plans to go HID eventually.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I re solder one of the pins years ago to get them to come back on.Now that my rear running light dont work, I suspect the LOM> I did the fix posted here and hope to prevent any future problems with the lights. Any ideas what the wiring schematic is for the rear running lights?

Back