Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Real bad shaking in my front end

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Shane Carroll, September 13, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Shane Carroll

Shane Carroll New Member

City, State:
      Buford Georgia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      I have a 98 explorer 4.0L RWD automatic and it has a horrible shake up front that feels like i have a loose wheel but everything is tight. I have replaced sway bar links and bushing, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, u-joints, outer tie rods, wheel seals and caster/cambers. The only thing left is ball joints, control arms, and rack n pinion, could either of those 3 things cause the shaking im feeling? Its bad enough that im scared to drive it but its my only means of transportation and all these repairs have me broke financially. Any tips or suggestions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Yes, ANY of "those 3 things" could cause real bad front end shaking. Anyone in your area give free alignment checks?

4. Robman

Robman Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      '00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
      If you replaced those parts and THEN the shaking started, could be air in your power steering from turning the wheel with the engine off.

5. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      ^ Excellent point, and very common mistake when the wheels are turned with the engine NOT running. Usual fix is driving slowly, while turning the steering wheel lock to lock until the air purges. Hope that's your shaking issue, cheapest fix ever.

• Like Like x 1