rear body panel crack? who has it!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear body panel crack? who has it!!

We now have two cracks in the rear panel of our '02 Eddie Bauer (purchased from new) having already had one replacement panel early in the car's life (when still covered by bumper to bumper warranty). The Ford dealer says that, because we had already had one replacement that were not entitled to a second. Added to the fact that we have the common transmission problem too (OD light flashing/check transmission light) this car has turned out to be a really juicy lemon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well F that! LOL
All this talk I've put on here that mine has not cracked because some of the glue had let go and allowed it to pucker out with the expansion... and here I am... joining the club :rolleyes:

Crack.jpg

We now have two cracks in the rear panel of our '02 Eddie Bauer (purchased from new) having already had one replacement panel early in the car's life (when still covered by bumper to bumper warranty). The Ford dealer says that, because we had already had one replacement that were not entitled to a second. Added to the fact that we have the common transmission problem too (OD light flashing/check transmission light) this car has turned out to be a really juicy lemon.

You're in the lemon club with me! :p: It really sucks.

And I still have no crack :p:

Hello,
I just got off the phone with Ford. All they are willing to do is "report" the problem. This problem with the cracked hatch was recalled till about 2004. Let's make Ford listen to our concers. Please call 1800-392-3673, have your vin#.

Unhappy Ford Explorer Owner

I am the owner of a 2004 Ford Explorer & on my 2nd rear cracked panel. The first cracked panel was in 2007 the vehicle was still under warranty and it was replaced. Here it is 2011, the panel I had replaced in 2007 has cracked and I have no warranty. I contact Ford, the employee was very polite, took my info. my VIN # and informed me I needed to take my vehicle to a Ford dealership and have it diagnosed, the dealership would send them the results , I would be contacted with their decision. I called the Ford dealership with this info. and was inform , I could bring the vehicle in, but Ford is not going to replace the panel. I would have to pay to have it replaced myself. I thanked him for his honesty, now I have to decide if I want to invest in another panel that may crack, I know I will never purchase another Ford, that I don't have to think about. I don't understand how Ford knowingly put defective parts on their vehicles, wether cosmetic or not, Ford should be willing to rectify this. What does it say about their product ever other 2002 - 2004 Ford Explorer owner has a crack in the rear panel, it wouldn't make me want to run out and purchase one.

Part of the club, im wodering could you paint some window tint the color of the car and put it on the panel to act as a cover? would the tint flex enough? Does this seem Logical?

Class action Lawsuit

Check this out

http//classactionlawsuitsinthenews.com/class-action-lawsuit-complaints/ford-explorer-mercury-mountainer-lincoln-aviator-cracked-rear-tailgate-class-action-lawsuit-complaint/

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Ford Motor Company in the United Sates District Court for the Southern District of California

Karla and Virgil Iler v. Ford Motor Company case no. CV2648DMSJMA

There are so many threads regarding this topic I didnt know which to reply to. Let me start by saying I am a member of the "crack club" my wife's 2003 with 89k miles has two separate cracks. I lived with the first one for over a year now but with the second I decided to take on the project. I was quoted between 400-450 by a few local body shops, So i ordered the part ($130) and am having it sprayed by a shop ($50) and will install it myself for about $200 total.

With that said, I take a ton of pride in my vehicles and maintain them meticulously, some say to a fault. I was disappointed to see the initial crack but was not overly surprised as i knew this was a common occurance. However, i've learned that there are much more important things to get bent out of shape about. Our 2003 is pushing 9 years of service - with 89k miles we've done only routine wear item repairs. If you were lucky/unlucky enough to have it crack during your 3/36 bumper to bumper then by all means you are entitled to a free repair. I can't see getting so worked up over a piece of trim cracking on 6,7,8,9,10 year old vehicles. Yeah it SUCKS and is a known problem but name me a car that doesnt have inherit flaws that crop up over years of sales and service.

My 2003 has been reliable, safe and still looks pretty good for its age, I made the decision to repair the crack on a budget, to keep it looking good, If there comes a time that a design flaw puts my family in any danger i'll be the first to spearhead a resolution campaign. If you don't plan to buy another ford because of this flaw, then don't, but the grass isn't any greener on the other side. There are plenty of good car companies out there to choose from, and each have their own +/-.

for those interested in doing the project themselves the part was purchased from fordpartsgiant.com part # 1L2Z-78402A30-CAPTM and was $124.01 + shipping. A local body shop is spraying it for me for $50 (which is cheaper than i could have done after purchasing paint and supplies).

I hope you all find the resolution you are looking for, but remember, if you put things in perspective, this probably won't rate too high on the list.

Man, I have had mine for two days and noticed that on mine after I brought it home. I will call as well.

Had it also when I purchased mine, but the stealership replaced it free of charged along with it being match paint. The problem now is, the whole peace itself is starting to peel off on one side.

Had it also when I purchased mine, but the stealership replaced it free of charged along with it being match paint. The problem now is, the whole peace itself is starting to peel off on one side.

oh then your set, what you need to do is get automotive foam adheasive and place the piece back on, don't remeber what adhesive to use but that will be the perfect solution i believe

What college student said. Your actually in much better shape then most people. From what I hear getting the applique off when its still attached with the factory glue is painful. That will be my project this spring. i WISH mine was coming off on its own.

And as CS mentioned, use adhesive foam tape when you re-attache it. Not glue. Glue is what makes it crack.

I just bought my 2005 a few months ago and I really like. Of course, I have "the crack" too but lately I notice many of the same year Mountaineer's with the same shaped hatch and no crack?!?!?!? Were they not susceptible to the dreaded crack? If not, are they a direct bolt on for us Explorer crack victims?

Thanks,

NM

Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviator are all susceptible to the crack. Explorers seem to crack more than the other two.

I just bought my 2005 a few months ago and I really like. Of course, I have "the crack" too but lately I notice many of the same year Mountaineer's with the same shaped hatch and no crack?!?!?!? Were they not susceptible to the dreaded crack? If not, are they a direct bolt on for us Explorer crack victims?

Thanks,

NM

My sister has a mountaineer around our age, and it too has a crack. Worse than mine though, because hers is cracked in three places- one above the emblem and two below.

My explorer is a 2004 XLT i bought it in the summer of 2010, after i totaled my sport trac. It didn't have a crack when i bought it and now its almost has 3.

Freakin crazy!

I can't stand it, i sure hope they fix it. I will be calling.

I've seen so many people with the cracks.

Its very fustrating and i can't stand it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviator are all susceptible to the crack. Explorers seem to crack more than the other two.

I bet there way more Ex's then Mounties and Aviators on the road too which makes it seem more like an Explorer issue.

Back