Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bolingbrook, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Callsign
KD9OWX
What do you guys think about cutting out part of the rear crossmember(round one in front of rear bumper) to fit in a new square tubing(thick 2x4) that goes from the end of the frame rail across the truck to the other end of the frame rail so that i can put on tow hooks back there. (i'm not getting a hitch), or has anyone mounted tow hooks back there on the C frame and not damaged anythign when they were being used. cuz i'm worried that since its not a box frame backk there, the frame will bend when pulling or getting pulled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could do that... whats wrong with gettign a hitch? it will provide a really stout point back there....

i just dont like em... i think there ugly. if i towed sumthin then it would definitely be worth it. but the way i want to do it, everything is tucked under the bumper. my only worry is i am cutting away part of an existing crossmember with body mounts, but i am adding another crossmember. but if i do it, then i will definitely post pictures. i wanted to just mount to the frame rails, but like i said, it scares me since its not box frame back there.

the framerails are fine for recovery points....

another explorer owner(i think the only other lifted one in chicago area(from what i've seen)) sent me some pics of what he did, and he just mounted to the side of the rail.. kind of odd... but.. it'll work. so thats what i'm doing... 7 thousand times easier than what i wanted to do.

Back