• Register Today It's free!

rear diff fluid

white_shadow

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer xlt v8
is there a magical fluid to use or just standard 80w90? i want to change the fluid in the rear end since its probably original.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use synthetic gear oil. Or you have to add an additive to the 80w90 because of the positraction.

Use synthetic gear oil. Or you have to add an additive to the 80w90 because of the positraction.

ok, ill get synthetic. ill probably never change it again. how much does it hold?

If I remember right, about a quart and a half. Warning! Be sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain the rear end. I saw this posted on here before, thought it good advice.

If I remember right, about a quart and a half. Warning! Be sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain the rear end. I saw this posted on here before, thought it good advice.

yep

is there a magical fluid to use or just standard 80w90? i want to change the fluid in the rear end since its probably original.
My limited slip asks specifically for 75W140 synthetic.
I think is a good ideea anyway - thinner at cold starts, thicker at high operating temperatures, almost same viscosity at normal temperatures.
P1020343.png

In the owner's manual I have, in the footnotes, it says 75W/140 for V8, and 80W/90 in the 4.0 liter. I just use LUCAS 75W/90 for the TractionLok rear in my 4.0. Same thing up front. Synthetic.

I believe Ford issued a TSB saying that all of the Explorers should use 75w-140 synthetic.

I use 85w-140 conventional gear oil with no problems.

Also a few other tips:

Jack up each side of the axle, one at a time to get all of the fluid out of the axle tubes.

This is optional , but when the cover is off, give it a nice coat of paint. I brought black automotive spray paint for mine. But anything in your garage should work.

Also a few other tips:

Jack up each side of the axle, one at a time to get all of the fluid out of the axle tubes.

This is optional , but when the cover is off, give it a nice coat of paint. I brought black automotive spray paint for mine. But anything in your garage should work.

good idea on getting oil out of the axle tubes. and i planned on painting the diff cover while its off

damn, that stuff is liquid gold! 20$/quart...

if i am reading it right, it takes synthetic fluid AND the modifier. correct?

edit: it also says lubricated for life. define "life" i bought this truck with 166k miles on it. i think the "life" of the oil is about over. opinions?

1995-96 call for 80W90
1997 + call for 75W140
ALL call for ford friction modifier

front diffs call for 75W90 on all years

edit: it also says lubricated for life. define "life" i bought this truck with 166k miles on it. i think the "life" of the oil is about over. opinions?

I believe Ford defines "life" as one mile/day after the warranty runs out!!! :banghead:

Yeah I hear you Bob...like the lifetime fuel filter. Lol

Bringing this thread back to life rather than start from scratch. I have a 2003 limited 4.6 with AWD. My axle code is D4 (limited slip 3.73).

I need to change the oil in my rear differential, and I have some specific questions:

1. how much (volume) 75w140 should I purchase, and what is the capacity? I plan to jack the vehicle at angles to drain the axles as well (per earlier comments in this thread).
2. how much (volume) friction modifier goes into the rear dif?
3. if I remove the cover, is there a gasket replacement part, or am I using RTV?
4. Prefered brands for 75w140 and friction modifier?

The answer to "why only the rear dif?" is that I did the front and t case a while back, but didn't have a big square drive (or the time) for the plug in the rear until recently.

Bringing this thread back to life rather than start from scratch. I have a 2003 limited 4.6 with AWD. My axle code is D4 (limited slip 3.73).
This is a forum for the 2nd Generation Explorers (1995-2001). Your rear axle is different. Ask in the 3rd Gen forum.

It should take under three quarts for the rear, under two in front. There are gasket choices for the back, but the nice one is over $22, most people use RTV. Buy synthetic only, and the stuff in store is high compared to the best(Amsoil) which is about $13 a quart. You have to source it by eBay etc, or directly with a $15 membership to have it drop shipped to you. Ford's version is over $20 a quart, too much and Severe Gear is better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a forum for the 2nd Generation Explorers (1995-2001). Your rear axle is different. Ask in the 3rd Gen forum.
Agree. ALL fluid capacities for your vehicle are listed in the owners manual. Regarding LS friction modifier, most seem to use and get the best results with Motorcraft XL-3. One four ounce bottle is usually adequate to prevent chatter. (Refill capacities pages 260-264).
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03expog5e.pdf

Very interesting gear oil study brought to you by Amsoil and supposedly done by an independent test lab. Although the testing was done using 75W-90, would think 75W-140 would net similar results. Must say I agree with Don above. After reading the test results and doing some research, Amsoil SG Gear Lube pricing is comparable or less than buying off the shelf at your local AP or department store.
http://www.goodsenseoil.com/G2457-GearOilWhitePaper.pdf

Back