1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear Differential Venting

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Dick Berg, August 26, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dick Berg

Dick Berg New Member

City, State:
      San Jose, CA
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer
      I have a '97 Ex, 4WD, EB, 4L SOHC engine. The rear differential has a rubber vent hose that heads up towards the upper reaches of the underside of the beast. The open end of the hose currently faces parallel to the ground, as it came from the factory.
      Now that I have a SeaDoo, I have to back the trailer into the lake. I'm wondering if there's a chance that the end of the tube can allow water into the differential. due to water splashing, etc.
      Does anyone know if there's a fitting, check valve or adapter that can be put on the end of the vent hose that will only allow the passage of air, and block liquids?
      It seems like a straightforward thing, as it would prevent any liquids from getting splashed up and into the differential, for example during heavy rain.
      Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      Dick

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      It'll be alright - contamination is the reason why we change the fluid after X number of miles after all.

4. Ray Lobato

Ray Lobato Moderator Moderator Emeritus

Year and Model:
      2006 Honda Accord
      I just bought a longer piece of tubing and ran it up as far as it would go up into the inner wall of the panels. that way it could still breath and not get wet.

5. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Tujunga, CA
      Year and Model:
      '99 XL 4x4 & '16 XLT
      I run these...;)

[​IMG]

6. Dick Berg

Dick Berg New Member

City, State:
      San Jose, CA
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer
      IZwack, Ray and Stic-o - Thanks very much for the suggestions.
      That little bellows is a clever idea.
      I had to open the differential a few years ago since I was getting a screeching noise from it.
      It turned out that the clutch pack on the driver's side was installed incorrectly at the factory!
      I had to clean out a bunch of debris, replace a number of components, and then refilled it with the synthetic oil that the manual recommended.
      This was about 40 to 50k miles ago. Should I consider draining and replacing the fluid at this time?

Thanks again,
      Dick