Rear Door Vent Window Replacment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Door Vent Window Replacment

My Explorer was broken into on New Years and the vent window was smashed out. I had a quote from a local glass shop for $180 cdn for the glass and replacment. I aquired a new window from a local wrecker for $40 cdn. This was my first time doing this and the job took 1 hour with no special tools.

1) Here is what I started with. You can where the exterior trim is bent from where the window was pried out. First thing was to clean up all the glass and clean the weather stripping out as there were lots of little pieces trapped. A flat screwdriver and the shopvac were used for this.
IMG_1029.jpg

2)Remove the interior panel. A flat screw driver and prybar were used to pry out the clips. Next peel back the plastic dust barrier that covers the door.
Remove the bolt that holds the window guide. It is the yellow plated bolt (11 mm) visible in the picture.
IMG_1030.jpg

3) With this loose you can pull out the weather stripping for all around the vent window and about half way down the door on the upper seal. This is where I was able to clean any remaining bits of glass out.
IMG_1031.jpg

4) Install the window into the stripping. Slide it into the vertical channel first and then mold the flexible portion around the window.
IMG_1032.jpg

Install the window sarting at the top and work the weather stripping back into place. I found it easiest to stand on the outside of the door and push the lip through to the inside. I used a flat screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get the rubber back into place. Just carefully work your way around without putting too much pressure on the glass. When the window is in push all the stripping back into place and reinstall the bolt that holds the window guide.
Put everything else back together and you've got it completed!
IMG_1034.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your article. It earned you 2 months Elite Explorer privledges :thumbsup:

Great thread. Some ####### broke into my X too and I need to replace mine. Thanks for the write up.

Hey, I had the same problem. Some kids broke mine and around the coney island park, there is a old used car glass store. got mines for 60$ installed.

Many thanks for the advice , got it done in 2hrs.:):)

What about the center part when they get rust in them? Are they hard to fix?

lol thats the window that always gets nailed... drivers side rear door. We had ours broken into back in 94, they stole a crappy camera but left the 10 disk changer alone.........

Just found this thread since mines was broken into too.

I thought it was odd that they broke into the rear vent window since it was so small but after researching it seems that most of the time that's the one that gets broken. I can't believe people do stuff like that man.

Then I noticed the marks on my windows and realized they probably pried it open too. It just sucks.

I got the window replaced but the glass is scratch and old because it was at a junk yard. Anybody know where I can order a new one and how much it cost. I'm thinking of replacing it later on. But the stupid pry marks are on the black trimming. Any way to fix that?

ANy suggestions?

LMC truck...

thanks for the support, i just replaced the vent window myself. got the window for $15.00... :)

i need to replace the drivers side window in my 91, would any of u guys know how to do that?

Thank you so much for this write up. I am going out right now to replace it and can't wait to get rid of the metal piece my fiancé used to cover the vent window.

The vent window was broken when I bought the car at an auction.

I was able to go to pick n' pull and get replacement glass for $15 a couple of months ago but had no idea how to install it until I found this post.

Thank you again!

Thanks alot! , im putting it in tommorow, mike

Thanks, Alot easier then I thought expecialy with pics and instructions

Great post... thanks for the write up

Just the post I needed. Thanks guys. Spray the weatherstrippng with some Windex or other window cleaner helps the stripping go back into place easier, and cleans the window when done.

Great thread. Some ####### broke into my X too and I need to replace mine. Thanks for the write up.
Just finished installing a new side glass, your post was a great help and I nearly missed the important part of how much of the upper mould to move. It made it easy and I thank you so much

I will be doing this soon. My problem is that the metal track that is attached to the rubber was bent and kinked. My question is if the metal track comes apart from the rubber gasket that goes all around the door. Or is it an all in one part. It will be difficult to find the whole gasket/track assembly for a sport trac as it differs from that of a regular explorer.

Back