• Register Today It's free!

Rear Door will not open

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
Recently my rear door became difficult to open from the outside. Had to pull up real hard on the handle and it would open. Then it would only open from the inside. Now it will not open at all. Both inside and outside handles have good spring strengh, but the door is stuck. If I could get it open to take off the panel I could have a look, but I am stuck here as I can't even get it to open.

Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to get the panel off, if you climb into the back. I had that happen to mine and I pulled the panel off and got it to open that way and then I sprayed everything with some lubricant.

Sorry, it's not the hatch door that's stuck, it's the back door behind the drivers door

You should have taken it apart and lubed it when it first started. It sounds like you have stretched it.

You're going to have to take the inside panel off and see what is going on in there.

Can the panel be taken off from the inside?

Yes it can be taken off with the door closed. Pry the top part off first then all the clips

Back