• Register Today It's free!

Rear end noise

StevenGene

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Hey peeps, its me again! Here is a run down of what is going on. This past Sunday after pulling out of my driveway and shifting into drive, upon accelerating i started hearing a loud grinding sound. Which i am almost certain is coming from somewhere in the rear. But after like 15-20 seconds of driving the sound disappears. i Took apart the brakes, everything looked good. I was hoping this was the cause. Because a few weeks ago i had to slam on my brakes pretty hard... Anyways, i also checked the bearings in the back, they had no play and no sound that i could replicate. Im at a loss here and cant figure whats causing this noise. I'm trying to avoid the mechanic for now. Hoping its something i can fix/replace myself. If anyone has any idea of what else i should be checking, please let me know :)

Thanks!

At 100k miles, give or take, I had the same problem. Ended up being a bad rear. I had the dealer find a used one. It came with a 1yr parts warranty - no labor.

It was a lot cheaper than a new one

The possibilities are endless :)
Seriously, what you think is coming from the rear end, maybe a bearing in a transfer case, or u-joint on a driveshaft. I went thru all that, I am on my second transfer case since the original one ate the rear bearing at about 215k miles. I got a used one form a junk yard for $ 150 since it was cheaper than rebuilding the one on the car and there was no downtime, just Saturday when I did it. Now, that one is making noise from the front pocket bearing so I gave the old one to a shop to rebuild it, I am waiting for an estimate.

I know, it sounds complicated. But the noises in these cars like to travel all around, very tricky.

Back