and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear end roar-is there a fix?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by davedwards, June 23, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. davedwards

davedwards New Member

City, State:
      Mount Olive NC
      Year and Model:
      2004 Explorer LTD
      04 explorer limited V8 automatic 4x4.I'm hearing quite a bit of noise in the rear end when accelerating or cruising at speed.My wife said I was dreaming,but I took a ride in the back seat today and the roar is much more noticable there.When you let off the gas,the roaring stops.Is there a fix for this without having to sell a kidney to pay for it? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Orlando, FL
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT 4x4
      02's and early 03's tend to have rear end roars... havnt seen too many 04's with the problem.

Are you sure its the rear end? Usually the roar happens when you let off the gas and coast instead of applying gas.

Maybe a rear wheel bearing?

4. Cgy04XLT

Cgy04XLT New Member

City, State:
      Calgary,Alberta
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT
    5. cross6

cross6 Active Member

City, State:
      Baton Rouge, LA
      Year and Model:
      2004 Mountaineer
      My 04 suffered from the infamous rear end diff failure that caused this roaring. Replaced under extended warranty.

6. 007

007 New Member

City, State:
      Midwest
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT Sport V8
      If you are referring to the ring and pinion epic fail, then our '04 did that also by 35k miles. It was replaced and now is doing it again at 120k. Guess what...it's going to stay howling at 60 mph until it breaks this time.

7. 757 MC

757 MC New Member

City, State:
      Waconia, Mn.
      Year and Model:
      2004 Limited 4.6l
      I am having this same issue with my '04. Does anyone know how much this repair costs? Has Ford come up with a perminent fix yet?

8. Fox Fader

Fox Fader Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, GA
      Year and Model:
      searching
      Mine dose it too once the fluid gets good and hot, but who cares this is something they do and with these being connected to the body, the sound is magnified.

9. gforceman

gforceman Active Member

City, State:
      Virginia beach VA
      Year and Model:
      2003 limited 4.6 V8
      basicly i feel 3 gen expos are just throw away vehicles drive just before thet fail then trade in or sell ,

i have a 03 Eddie 4.0 174k ,
      problems:

1 Rubber around both front balljoints dryrotted cracked .
      2 rear differential whines.
      3 driveshaft makes a crack sound in reverse.
      4 rear seals leak
      5 replaced front wheel bearings
      6 rear wheel bearings starting to let go
      7 i suspect timing chain slack .

i am now looking for a replacement and i wont be a explorer this was my 2nd one

10. thepotroast

thepotroast Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Asheville, NC
      Year and Model:
      3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8
      What you describe are not-so-uncommon things for a vehicle with that kind of mileage....especially if never replaced before. Timing chain, ball joints, bearings....all at 174k....sounds typical to me.

The whine is common on the 3rd gen's, I'm still debating whether to have mine fixed (again?) or not....the diff clutch pack and ring/pinion was replaced when it was under warranty from the previous owner, at around 40k miles with the same sounds, now I'm at 126k and the sounds are here again....this time it would be on my dime to fix.

I wouldn't really call them throw-away vehicles, but if you do not maintain them at regular intervals....things go. Don't expect ball joints to last for 200k miles.

11. Fox Fader

Fox Fader Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, GA
      Year and Model:
      searching
      I agree on the ball joints, the need changing before you get to 100k normally. Had to replace all four on the '97 at 88k, what a pain. The uppers on te 05 need doing now, looks like the will be a lot easier.

12. Thelt

Thelt Active Member

City, State:
      Lenoir, NC
      Year and Model:
      2002 Limited
      If you are sure it is not your rear wheel bearings then change the fluid in the rear end making sure to get the right friction modifiers.

If the sound changes when you turn left or right then it is probably your wheel bearings. They are known to go out on third gen explorers