Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear hatch for a 2002 Sport

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Mbrooks420, May 18, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Mountaineer
      A coworker has a 2002 Sport. It's supposed to be pretty nice, and is rust free. He broke the hatch somehow to the point he needs a new one. (Not entirely sure what he did). He says he's looked for 2 years and can't find a hatch for it.

Should these really be that hard to find? I did a quick search of the more popular local yards, and they didn't have any showing in inventory.

Looking at google images it showed them looking very much like a 98-01 4 door hatch, but that would seem a little too easy, as I have one of these in my back yard. ;)

Thanks In advance for any help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      they are the same. the only difference is where the wiper blade it. if i remember, on a 02, its in the glass, 98-01 is in the hatch. 4 door and 2 door will fit

4. Third_Edition

Third_Edition New Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario
      2000 3 door Sport
      Hi,

I have a nice rust free rear hatch off of a 2000 3 door if you are interested.

PM me.

Thanks,
      George

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The 03 Sport has the rear wiper on the glass, and that began during 2002. So that 02 Sport hatch could be either, it depends on the date of manufacture. I;ve been wanting to find one of those late 02's or 03 Sport hatches.

But the few I've seen on the street all have the very tall lower molding on them. I think they may all have those, which would not work for me. I'm trying to replace one old 93 hatch I need to for my 99, and remove the wiper holes in my 98's hatch. Those tall moldings have a bunch of holes behind them to hold them on, that wouldn't help my project.

So be sure you find a hatch with matching trim holes in it, especially if what you look at has unneeded holes.

6. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer
      Great info, thanks guys. I could either buy it for $300, or sell him the hatch of my parts Mounty. :rolleyes: