for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear hatch glass hinges

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by SimpleKindaMan, March 11, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SimpleKindaMan

SimpleKindaMan New Member

City, State:
      Southside of Chicago
      Year and Model:
      03 Mountaineer AWD 4.0LV6
      Hello all-
      This will be my first post here. I recently purchased a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer V6 with 98k. There were a few minor issues that I took care of on it, and now I'm down to my last one. The right hinge on the rear hatch has separated from the glass. They said to replace the hinges and struts, but I only ordered the hinges. I was wondering if this should be fixed for free because this seems to be a very common problem. Understandably, the car is out of warranty, and I do not see any recalls pertaining to this on the government recall site. If I can't get them fixed for free, is there a thread someone can point me to with a scheme on how to replace these? Do I need the struts too, or just the hinges? I didn't really look at it too close so I'm not even sure where the struts are. Much obliged for any help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rrgone

rrgone Active Member

City, State:
      Tucson, AZ
      Year and Model:
      '02 XLT
      There is a safety recall in effect for 2002 and 2003 Explorers/Mountaineers for that very issue. You should call your local dealer to verify it was not already done to your Mounty and to schedule a time to bring it in for repairs if not. You should get no arguement from them at all if it wasn't already done by a previous owner. They will likely want to keep the truck all day to do the repairs. I finally took mine in about a year ago and had it done. Good luck.

==================================

Notes:
      PRO-A MOTORS, INC.
      Recall ID # 04V442000 - STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS - Hide Details
      Recall Date: SEP 13, 2004
      Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
      Model Affected: EXPLORER
      Potential Units Affected: 955732

Recall Date:
      SEP 13, 2004

Model Affected:
      2003 FORD EXPLORER

Summary:
      ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT MAY BECOME DISENGAGED OR THE HINGE MAY FRACTURE ALLOWING THE GLASS TO FALL AND POSSIBLY BREAK.

Consequence:
      IF THE HINGE SHOULD FRACTURE, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR THE GLASS TO FALL AND ULTIMATELY BREAK AND PERSONAL INJURIES COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
      DEALERS WILL HAVE THE LIFTGATE GLASS STRUT BRACKETS AND GLASS HINGES REPLACED. FOR THE VEHICLES BUILT FROM AUGUST 1, 2000 THROUGH MARCH 3, 2002, THE DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HINGES AND LIFTGATE STRUT BRACKET. ON VEHICLES BUILT FROM MARCH 3, 2002 THROUGH JUNE 23, 2003, THE DEALERS WILL ONLY REPLACE THE HINGES. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2004. A POSTCARD WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON DECEMBER 27, 2004, ADVISING THEM THAT PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
      FORD MOTOR COMPANY 04S20

Last edited: March 11, 2009
    4. SimpleKindaMan

City, State:
      Southside of Chicago
      Year and Model:
      That's what I was looking for. What pisses me off is that I was at a supposed premier Lincoln Mercury dealership in my area and they were going to charge me to replace them. Thanks for the help.

5. SimpleKindaMan

City, State:
      Southside of Chicago
      Year and Model:
      I called my local dealership and was literally laughed at when I mentioned that my car may be involved in this recall. So, I called Ford and was told the same thing, that my truck was not involved in the recall. She said she would document the case and forward it to the service manager at my local stealership. Basically, they say I'm SOL. Wouldn't you think that they would fix the obviously defective part of the car that poses a severe safety risk? I mean, c'mon Ford, really? I'll be at the BBB site shortly.

6. rrgone

rrgone Active Member

City, State:
      Tucson, AZ
      Year and Model:
      '02 XLT
      Well the recall does state "Certain SUVs", not all 2003s. So maybe your's is exempted from the recall. Didn't they explain why your's was not included?

7. danzee

danzee New Member

Year and Model:
      2003 XLT
      Ford never actually fixed the problem

I called Ford about the rear glass hinge TSB on my 2003 XLT after it broke this year. They said, yes the campaign applied and yes it was free. After looking up my VIN they told me that they did it once back in 2006 and would not do it again. I never singed off on such a fix - the dealer probably scammed Ford. Anyway, it's still a problem even if they really replaced it before. They just don't give a crap. They really pissed me off. I guess I won't be buying anymore Fords, including for work. I filed a complaint using the original NHTSA recall number. I don't expect anything to happen.

8. SimpleKindaMan

City, State:
      Southside of Chicago
      Year and Model:
      I filed a complaint with the BBB and Ford. I gave up on it. I can't and/or won't fight Ford over this. I already paid for and replaced the damn broken hinge of death myself. I wonder if they would have listened to me had the hatch window with the faulty hinge happened to fall off and cut me in half.

9. danzee

danzee New Member

Year and Model:
      2003 XLT
      Hinges Replaced - a few tips

Thanks to Dannyb420 and the others that posted previously. The job took me about 2 hours working alone.

I left the tailgate up the whole time. It would not have been possible for me to do alone if I hadn't done that.
      After unhooking the struts at the glass end, I propped up the latch end of the glass with a 3 foot 2x4 on it's edge. That raised the glass above the disconnected struts and allowed me to make the hinge swap and adjust the glass in a near horizontal position before tightening the hardware. I moved the glass around to get an even gap at the top and even gaps at the side. Then I closed the main tailgate followed by carefully closing the glass to check the fit. The latch mated properly, so I final tightened all the hardware. I used a little boat caulk on the plastic washers against the glass since I read reports of leaks there. I also put blue Loctite on the glass bolts. The roof bolts came with it on the threads already. I worked carefully throughout, used a step ladder when necessary, and took my time. Initially I had to gingerly Dremel off a piece of the broken hinge to salvage the screw and plastic washer.

The new hinges were redesigned with more reinforcing web in the area that failed on the old ones. It's clear that either the dealer scammed Ford and never replaced my hinges, or Ford supplied the old defective design for the alleged recall swap in 2006, or both.

Cheers

Last edited: April 4, 2009
    10. usnthem

usnthem New Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT v6
      Hi Everyone,
      For what it's worth I took my 2002 XLT in to have the hinges (recall work) replaced. I'm the original owner. The passenger side hinge snapped on me over the weekend.
      The dealership also performed another recall, speedcontrol.
      All was done in 90minutes at no charge, no problem and no questions asked. A very pleasent experience for a change.

11. mcm8327

mcm8327 New Member

City, State:
      Kansas City
      Year and Model:
      2003 Eddie Bauer
      I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer with a broken hatch hinge and I just paid $40 for the cruise control sensor that was apparently part of another recall, however my vehicle is not "eligible" for either recall according to two different dealers in my area. What's up with these recalls?

12. dr_olds

dr_olds New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2003 xlt
      I've had mine about a year now and the drivers side just let go ,called my dealer for a price but they never said anything about a recall, found out about the recall after running my vin # through Ford's website and it showed up as unresolved , contacted the same dealer and parts are ordered underthe recall directive

13. Drummadude

Drummadude New Member

City, State:
      Midwest
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT Blue
      Note: I hope this is not frowned upon for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to make note of something.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT and on June 26th, the original liftgate glass hinges finally broke. I opened the glass for the first time in months since seeing one starting to flex, and the bolt just snapped off.

From June 26th to today, August 4th, I sat without my beloved truck. I managed to get a rental car paid by Ford, although I'm a college student and not old enough to drive it!! So I was stuck with a Jeep. Not too rough but it's nice to have my Explorer back.

I wanted to write this note on an old thread to let people know that by chance you haven't gotten this repair, they will still honor it. However, they had to completely manufacture new hinges and the service department thought that they may have redesigned the hinges, even on an older car.

P.S. I will continue to not use the liftgate glass. In my opinion it is just too risky!

14. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
    15. 1tufgt

1tufgt Active Member

City, State:
      Bluegrass St.
      Year and Model:
      2003 XLT Sport Trim
      I just noticed that my hinge has also come loose and the pin is not set right. Will they still cover this under the recall and fix it? I've had the vehicle for about 5 years now and never got any notices.

16. BigRondo

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Follow my instructions for registering your Ex with Ford and it will show any open recalls.

17. 1tufgt

1tufgt Active Member

City, State:
      Bluegrass St.
      Year and Model:
      2003 XLT Sport Trim
      Where would the recall be listed?

Nothing is showing under my recalls. :(

Last edited: December 2, 2011
    18. BigRondo

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Let me log on and find out where the recalls are listed. I'll post up what I find.

Edit: Just logged on. Here's how to find the recall information:

• Log on to the Ford Owners Website.
      • Click on your vehicle on the left side.
      • Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
      • Look under additional documentation.
      • Click on the link for Vehicle Recall Notices.

This will list any open recalls on you vehicle.

Hope this helps out.

Last edited: December 3, 2011
    19. High_Order1

High_Order1 Active Member

City, State:
      near Oak Ridge, TN
      Year and Model:
      2005 Jack Bauer Edition
      Only thing I can add here, is be VERY CAREFUL with that back glass. About $900 to replace it if you break it....

Shawn

20. Drummadude

Drummadude New Member

City, State:
      Midwest
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT Blue
      I took my 02 in this past June and got a free recall repair. It took 24 days and it was unsafe to drive the car..... I asked the Service Dept for a rental car and was denied -- so I called the salesman my father bought it from in 2001 and the manager. I got a Fusion! :D

They said Ford had many complaints even with this delay so they completely redesigned the hinge and had to manufacture them.

Last edited: December 14, 2011
    21. dpost01

dpost01 New Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLS
      I just want to thank everyone for posting their experience. My hinge just broke through on my 2002 Explorer. I will be calling the stealership on Monday. I hope to be one of the ones that has a pleasant experience and get mine fixed for free.

22. Mario81587

Mario81587 New Member

City, State:
      Newport, NC
      Year and Model:
      02 Mountaineer AWD
      Mine broke after the recall had already been performed which resulted in the glass shattering. Ford refused to pay for the repairs. I was told that there was nothing that they could do because the recall had already been performed. I had to go through the insurance company. That was the first and the last time I ever opened the glass part of the lift gate.

On a side note, the applique panel on the lift gate has never cracked because I never open it. I think this is one of the reasons that they crack... repeated use of the glass being opened and closed, causing it to flex slightly. I have two friends that own 02-05 Explorers. One of them never opens the glass part of the lift gate and his applique panel has never cracked. The other friend opens his all the time and the panel is cracked in two places.

- Mario

23. NJExplorerFan

NJExplorerFan Active Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      2015 Limited
      Is this why my hinges recently started leaking water on the inside? It always happens when I go through the car wash. I never knew about this.

24. BigRondo

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      If you go to https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerRegistrationPage&ord=27997749, you can register as an owner. Once you have entered you VIN, it will alert you if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. I bought my '02 in 2010 and had 2 recalls done since I got the alert from the owners' website.

Here's how to find the recall information:

• Log on to the Ford Owners Website.
      • Click on your vehicle on the left side.
      • Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
      • Look under additional documentation.
      • Click on the link for Vehicle Recall Notices.

This will list any open recalls on you vehicle.

Hope this helps out. :D:thumbsup:

25. jstorm001

jstorm001 Member

City, State:
      Levittown , PA
      Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      When my recall was done on my 02 explorer few years ago the dealer told me they take there time with those hinges because if not done right will cause the glass to shatter & also can shatter on them also fixing the hinges. After the fix my rear glass door closes correctly befor I would have to slam it shut so it would latch also it would pop open on its own for no reason but since the recall fix was done doesn't do it anymore.

26. andypinto

andypinto Active Member

City, State:
      Arica, Chile
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT, 2002 XLT
      Hi everyone:
      The hinges of my Explorer 2002 back glass have been broken twice. This piss me off a lot and I decide to stop this annoying thing forever.
      So I go to a lathe technician and the guy custom made ​​for me two carriage bolts, with the appropiated diameter and lengh .
      Then I remove (with the help of a friend of mine) the rear window, remove the hinges and drill a hole through the female thread of the hinge to install the new carriage bolts.
      Now, the hinges are installed on the glass with a thru bolts and never will be loose again. Of course, the torque to the bolts must be very carefully applied. I can use the same plastic washer that come with the hinges to absorb the pressure of the inner bolt.
      Now the hinges works like a charm, and I use the rear window often.
      The solution is very good IMHO, because the round shape of the bolts head mix well with the slightly round hinge's design. A small amount of black epoxy paint on the hinges, bolts, washers and nuts will do the trick. The new thru bolt are almost unnoticeable unless you pay attention to the hinge.
      I hope it will help, especially to those who, like me, do the recall at the dealer just to get a broken hinge again.
      This is a design flaw that Ford never really had the intention to solve.:thumbdwn:
      Cheers

Last edited: July 6, 2012