1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear hatch panel and handle removal

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by dennism3, June 10, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dennism3

dennism3 New Member

City, State:
      BC Canada
      Year and Model:
      1997 EB 5.0L 2006 Ltd 4.6
      I don't know if this is valuable but on our 2006 Ford Explorer Limited we had a hint of rust on the crimping/weld at the bottom of the hatch door and at the bottom of the plastic black hatch handle so....

I removed the interior panel:

Window must be open. 2 screws/bolts on the right lower pull handle. Then just start pulling/prying the panel off. It has metal v clips in slots. Only note is be gentle and the side pillar area beside the glass should not be pulled straight off the back but towards the glass a bit. Those clips are not perpendicular to the door but need to be pulled sideways.

Exterior chrome handle:

The exterior chrome is removed with the 4 bolts visible(rust covered in my case, to be replaced with stainless. Then the Ford emblem is still attached to the door and keeping the handle attached. I had the interior panel off so cut a slot in the plastic moisture guard(it was not sealed in several places anyway!!!:rolleyes: ) and put my hand in and pressed on the side of the plastic clip and chrome exterior handle came out. I believe you could just pry up and the plastic plug/clip might release without breaking.

Now to sand and touch up the paint where a little rust is showing. Using wool/oil?? to spray inside the door and cover it with oil/wax to maybe prevent further rust inside the door. Seal up the plastic moisture barrier which let rain? in when back window was open or if window leaks a bit(don't know which) .

I'm not a handy guy so maybe this is a piece of cake to others but not to me.:D Maybe it'll help someone.

Last edited: June 11, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.