Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear Hatch Pin Stripe/Badge Removal

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by RandomNerd2000, August 12, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Active Member

City, State:
      South Carolina
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      So, next week I'm going to be picking up the white hatch for my 2000 5.0 project to take the blue one off, and it's coming off a 2001 XLT with the Sport package (body molding), and it's got a stripe on it. Well I'm looking for how to get that stripe off since my truck doesn't have the stripe down the side, also info on taking the badges off, since I personally prefer no badges on the rear hatch, any tips and general info and things to avoid (like taking the paint off)?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mr. Alligator

Mr. Alligator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Tampa, Florida
      1997 XLT Explorer
      I removed my pinstripes... the difficulty was that they were buried under clear coat. I just used a razor blade and tried to avoid paint damage to the extent possible. Results were satisfactory.

I think the tail gate badges are fastened through the sheet metal hatch panel, and need to be accessed by removing the entire interior plastic hatch panel. There are threads on this forum about the removal.... pull the top Christmas tree fasteners, remove the strap screws with a Phillips head screw driver, and remove the small screw near the lock mechanism. Then pull the entire trim panel UP toward the top (not away). But you will still have small holes in the hatch sheet metal after removing the badges ( I think).

Good luck with the project.

4. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      I know there is a "pinstripe eraser" you can put into your drill to remove pinstripes. I don't know anything if they work or whatnot though...

5. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      this. i have used them several times. they work very well

6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      At least some (if not all of the badges) are stick-on. A piece of nylon fishing line can be used like dental floss to saw them off. Then you can use an eraser on a drill to get the remaining glue off. I've also removed the glue with gasoline, but it's more work.

7. RandomNerd2000

RandomNerd2000 Active Member

City, State:
      South Carolina
      00 5.0, 01 4.0.
      So the badges aren't a disaster in the making, I'll undertake them more likely than not, the stripe might be just as well off left alone if it's underneath the clear coat, or at a decent risk of screwing up the paint.

8. Varsity

Varsity Don't need no stinkin 4WD Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago Ridge, IL
      '00 Sport
      If we're talking about the individual lettering on each side, that's just stuck on, like koda said. Just some fishing line, or whatever method you prefer, and patience. Did that when I got my junkyard hatch painted to match. I ended up putting a 1st gen Explorer Sport emblem on because I liked the looked and 1 piece design.