• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch wont close!

Pheonixx77

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
HELP! I cant close my rear hatch. It will close but will not stay closed, its almost as if the "hooks" that hold it on the pin wonty lock in to position. The hooks and pin i am referring to are the ones on the outer edge of the inside of the hatch and the pin is the huge thing that looks like a bolt mounbted to the body of the truck. any ideas? i am taking a week long trip tomorrow and cant go if i dont get this fixed, money is REAL tight so a shop is almost out of the question. :fire: :frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, im having the exact same problem.

If i move the long thin lever inside the hatch with my hand and pull the hatch real strong, then it closes. The problem is only on left side and i already changed those plastic rings that the hooks go to, before that the hatch didnt close at all. Now the right side closes but the left one is still pretty hard. Maybe the lever inside the door is not straight enough or something?

Ill try to post pictures soon. I hope someone knows what im talking about.

Sometimes this is due to the latch mechanisms on either side of the tailgate just getting seized up, either from corrosion/rust or dirt and crud buildup. The fix is usually a toothpick/toothbrush to clean out any solid stuff, then spray in some WD-40 or other spray lube. You can spray it in with the tailgate up so it drips straight down and not onto anything except a bucket/towel.

If this fixes it, then just keep using the spray lube every so often rather than waiting for it to happen again.

Exactly what Anime has said.

I've been lubricating my locks about every 6 months and have never had a problem with them sticking. Even in -40 winter weather.

Back