• Register Today It's free!

Rear LED turn signals

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I prefer red turn signals. I would like to replace the current orange bulbs with red LED's - however I'm having trouble finding any useful info on exactly what kind of bulbs or sockets they are. The owners manual mentions something very exotic that I can't find on eBay.
Has anyone done this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pulled this from Sylvania's website but I haven't verified it's accuracy:

High & low beam headlamp
9005L+

Parking light
194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
3457A
3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
3457A
3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal

Tail light
LED

Stop light
LED

High mount stop light
LED

Fog/Driving light
H11
H11SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H11ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light

Rear sidemarker
LED

Map light
LED

Dome light
168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
LED

Trunk/Cargo area
LED

I took off the tail light assembly today, just to see what kind of bulbs are in there. I documented the process in a PDF so anyone else can use it:
tail light removal

(I wish the forum would allow more attachments - here I am trying to provide useful contribution, investing my work, I don't feel like I should be spending money to be able to share a PDF. So I had to resort to that crappy file sharing site sendspace...sorry.)

EDIT: After some googleing, it seems the turn signal bulbs are better known as 9009 bulbs! Sometimes also known as H16 or 5202.
Going to try and find some red LED's now!

I took off the tail light assembly today, just to see what kind of bulbs are in there. I documented the process in a PDF so anyone else can use it:
tail light removal

(I wish the forum would allow more attachments - here I am trying to provide useful contribution, investing my work, I don't feel like I should be spending money to be able to share a PDF. So I had to resort to that crappy file sharing site sendspace...sorry.)

EDIT: After some googleing, it seems the turn signal bulbs are better known as 9009 bulbs! Sometimes also known as H16 or 5202.

are you sure about the bulb code? I used H16 for the backup light

tail light removal

If you want to do a write up on the forum the best way to do it is to start a thread and write all the info in there, and if your elite upload your photos to the site for hosting, or you can host them on photobucket, imageshack, whatever.

Back