Rear Suspension Clunk In Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Clunk In Reverse

tonydmm2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
In my 05 explorer 2wd, I get a really loud clunk when we first back out of the driveway and turn the wheel to the left.

I replaced the rear drivers halfshaft 3 yrs ago, it got stuck halfway when installing it, i think the keeper in the differential had gotten caught, i had to bang it hard to get it in. Afterwards, we had this loud single bang when first going into reverse that lasted about 3 months, then suddenly stopped. Then last month the keeper in the cv halfshaft boot portion had fallen off, had to go rescue my stranded daughter. I bought a new cv shaft & lower ball joint from napa and installed it with no issues, but now the banging is back.

Could this be something wrong in the rear differential, maybe associated with installing the halfshaft that had gotten stuck, bad bearing or gear or something?

I also noticed that I could spin the drivers rear tire when the car was jacked up with the transmission in park, is this normal? I thought the 05 explorer xlt came with a traction lok rear end?

Back