1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear Upper Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by dajoes90, November 8, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dajoes90

dajoes90 New Member

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
      Hi everyone,

I realized the other day how worn the rear upper ball joints of my Ex are so I decided to changed them now that I have to change the ones from the front too. I tried looking for some tutorial but I only find from the front. Any advise for this? Looks the same process as the front ones, that I've already memorized. Also, which torque I should tight the nuts?

Thank you all!

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. lincolnshibuya

lincolnshibuya Active Member

City, State:
      kc mo
      2002 mercury mountaineer
      you have to replace the whole arm for the rears, the ball joint is not serviceable on this part. I guess others have tried (using moog problem solver) and there was some clearance issues. you need a chisel to wedge into the split to remove the ball joint from the knuckle, soak it in PB blaster several days prior to working.. this is PITA to remove if it wasn't removed before. Mine has cracked boots but it's not yet squeaking or loose so I don't bother changing it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. dajoes90

dajoes90 New Member

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
      I've bought this one for both rear sides, i'll give it a try and see if I can do it if now just return it and change the whole control arm as you said. I'm pretty sure there has to be a way to change it, I don't think it should be impossible, but for sure it's not going to be an easy and quick job. I tried looking for videos but all what I've found is front upper/lower and rear lower ball joints replacements. Hope anyone replaced and could give me some tip.

[​IMG]

Thanks, tho!

5. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      Is THIS the video for the front you were talking about?

• Like Like x 1
    6. dajoes90

dajoes90 New Member

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
      I saw that one but it's about the front one. I need the ones for the back, what I did is look for videos of how to replace the control upper arm, that should help me to get the upper ball joint loose.

7. dajoes90

dajoes90 New Member

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
      Here's how the ball joints look right now, as you can see they look like they're welded to the control arm, is that right?

upload_2017-11-14_8-30-17.png