Rear Upper Ball Joints

dajoes90

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.6L V8
Hi everyone,

I realized the other day how worn the rear upper ball joints of my Ex are so I decided to changed them now that I have to change the ones from the front too. I tried looking for some tutorial but I only find from the front. Any advise for this? Looks the same process as the front ones, that I've already memorized. Also, which torque I should tight the nuts?

Thank you all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to replace the whole arm for the rears, the ball joint is not serviceable on this part. I guess others have tried (using moog problem solver) and there was some clearance issues. you need a chisel to wedge into the split to remove the ball joint from the knuckle, soak it in PB blaster several days prior to working.. this is PITA to remove if it wasn't removed before. Mine has cracked boots but it's not yet squeaking or loose so I don't bother changing it.

I've bought this one for both rear sides, i'll give it a try and see if I can do it if now just return it and change the whole control arm as you said. I'm pretty sure there has to be a way to change it, I don't think it should be impossible, but for sure it's not going to be an easy and quick job. I tried looking for videos but all what I've found is front upper/lower and rear lower ball joints replacements. Hope anyone replaced and could give me some tip.

2K0mNOf6SgQKAEsEs&w=196&h=192&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.jpg

Thanks, tho!

Is THIS the video for the front you were talking about?

I saw that one but it's about the front one. I need the ones for the back, what I did is look for videos of how to replace the control upper arm, that should help me to get the upper ball joint loose.

Here's how the ball joints look right now, as you can see they look like they're welded to the control arm, is that right?

upload_2017-11-14_8-30-17.png

Getting ready to do the replacement this weekend, wish me luck. I'll let you all know how it went.

Back