Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rearview Camera Problems

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by kkeb, June 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Flying68

Flying68 Member

City, State:
      Wichita, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      68 F-100, 12 Explorer Ltd
      Thought I would give an update. I took my Ex in last Tuesday for the camera. I showed the service adviser pictures and video of the camera acting up. It was cool and overcast that day and the camera was functioning fine. I figured that they wouldn't do anything, but I was wrong. Apparently the camera had logged a code. It was DTC B115E:01. The technician cleared the coded, ran the self test again and the code came back. They replaced the camera, reran the self test again and this time no code. So it appears that the camera may still function even if it is setting diagnostic codes. I haven't been able to locate what that particular code indicates, but I imagine that is is monitoring a signal coming out of the camera itself. I also think, based on what my camera was doing, that the camera module is performing the digital to analog conversion itself, sending an analog video feed back to the APIM. I am not sure why you would do this instead of sending a digital signal, but that appears to be why the camera has to be programmed as overlaying the guidelines is done in the digital domain prior to the analog conversion.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      B115E:01 Camera Module: General Electrical Failure Sets when the video camera status indicates corrupted data with in the video camera. CLEAR the DTCs and REPEAT the self-test. If DTC B115E:01 is retrieved again, INSTALL a new video camera. REFER to Video Camera.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    4. tome

tome New Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      2011 Explorer
      Does anyone have a pointer to the schematic/wiring diagram for the backup camera in a 2011 Explorer Limited?

Mine stopped working. When I took the trim piece off I noticed that one of the license plate lights was out. I flicked it and the light came on and the camera then worked for a day or so. I figured there was a bad connection/wire or ground somewhere so today I took it completely out and unwrapped the wiring to find the bad connection. The bulbs seem to be on completely separate wiring (two black wires run to the bulbs) However, I think the license plate bulb was a red herring. It is on solid now and working but the camera doesn't work at all. I do not see a bad connector or wire anywhere and playing with wires I don't see anything wrong.

My camera has 6 wires running into it three of which come down a small white jacket the others are just loose. They are green, white, black, red, mauve, purple. The black, red, and purple come down the white cable together. The purple is crimp connected to what I believe is the (bare) shield wire inside the white jacket.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Given that yours is a 2011 and that there have been many cameras failing on the early model years lately, I doubt the issue is with the wiring but with the camera itself.

Peter

6. tome

tome New Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      2011 Explorer
      The weird thing is that it worked for a day after I "flicked" the light next to it. I suppose that could just be an intermittent camera module but...

Is there a cheaper place to buy the module? My dealer wants $403 and if it doesn't fix the problem I can't return it. Even unopened, there is a restocking fee.

The part number on the module itself is: BB5T-19G490-AC and I can't seem to find that in the Ford Parts info online.

PS: I found a pinout on the connector online. I put a multimeter on the pins coming to the camera and there is 13VDC coming to the camera. Also the ground appears to be good - that is, it shows 0.1 ohms against the license plate lights ground side. So it isn't a power issue.

Last edited: October 11, 2016
    7. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      See post 315 for some pricing info.

Peter

8. tome

tome New Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor, MI
      2011 Explorer
      Turns out a company called LKQ (used parts supplier) was driving distance from me and had a rear trim piece for the 2011 Explorer including the camera, wiring harness, and license plate lights. Got the whole thing for $180. Woohoo! Turned out to the be the camera module. So I now have an extra rear trim piece with lights and wiring harness.

-Tom

9. Korak

Korak New Member

Explorer 2011
      Hello everyone,

My camera just started failing three days ago did the fuse 29 and 32 to no avail. I have read vast part of this post which has been very useful, my take would be clean up the connections first then if that wont work I will just buy a replacement camera and change it myself.

Korak.

10. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      My thinking is that the camera will have to be replaced given the number of 2011 Explorers that have needed that. I think that you'll also notice an improved picture.
      Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can at times be helpful info. Thanks.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    11. mrnavy2

mrnavy2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Central New Jersey
      2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      This is what problem i had on my 2013 Ex Linited. When i checked with my Service Rep who knows his stuff, he said it was the camera and needed to be replace
      Well i just got back from having a New Camera installed. Works fine now and thank you god for making me get Insurance for repairs

tmp_26945-20161121_144906-1548814555.jpg

12. mola2alex

mola2alex New Member

2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
      I am having the same issue with camera unavailable in my 2012 Limited. I took out the camera just to see if wiring was an issue and hoping that might solve the issue but no luck. I haven't tried the fuse yet but will tonight but given this thread, it is likely the camera module as many are failing around this time. My dealer wants over $650 for this part which probably costs $20 to make and a few short years ago was much cheaper. I am looking online, the part itself shows the part no. as BB5T-19G490-AE but places on ebay show that BB5Z-19G490-A is compatible. Is this the case and are there any others or aftermarket cams available or part numbers people have had success with? I am in Canada if that helps.

13. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...arch&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera
      https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oe-ford/eb5z19g490a
      http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx
      I'm not aware of any Canadian sites off hand.

Peter

14. mrnavy2

mrnavy2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Central New Jersey
      2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      Well it looks easy to install of i purchased the camera off of EBAY. But i did have the insurance and it was less expensive if i use my repair insurance, i only had to use my deductable which was 100.00 for the camera, and being installed total was 876.00
      Good luck with yours and keep us up to date
      Oh, i think there are different camera stock numbers for different years and ths prices are also different
      Steve

15. mola2alex

mola2alex New Member

2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
      Thanks for the links Peter. Looks like part no. below also works for almost all explorers from 2011-2015. And the first link seems to be the cheapest I have seen...will let you know how it goes.

EB5Z-19G490-A

• Like Like x 1
    16. mola2alex

mola2alex New Member

2012 Ford Explorer Ltd
      So I ordered the EB5Z-19G490-A from the first link at white bear lake. They got in touch and said that based on my VIN, it is a different part number (BB5Z-19G490-A) but on their site, it says the first part number supports my model. Both of these don't match the one I pulled out of my vehicle so this is super confusing, which part do I take the risk on, the VIN one seems to be safer bet but is $35 USD more (over $45 CAD) on an already hefty price.

17. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same thing. Ford is know for updating the prefixes on their part numbers. I have seen this same issue with other part numbers.
      As for matching you old number, that may be true. After I returned my 2011 from lease I had a 2014 MKT and the camera resolution was almost HD like. I believe that other Explorer members, of I believe 2013 models, also mentioned the difference. I really can't say which to go with. You could always try calling Levittown and see what part number they give you.
      *****I did an Internet search on BB5Z and EB5Z and came up with another site that has a similar price difference between the two.
      http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-camera-asy_bb5z-19g490-a.html

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    18. ThreeFords

ThreeFords New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2011 Ford Explorer XLT
      My wife's 2011 Explorer just started having intermittent backup camera problems with the following symptoms:

Sometimes the camera works when she backs up
      Sometimes the system reports camera not available
      The camera seems more likely to work when headlights are on
      The picture the camera shows is now showing part of the bumper that it did not used to show

I inspected the camera -- it does not seem to be loose or damaged.

Any help or hints greatly appreciated.

19. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Your thread was merged with this existing one. As many have discovered, the camera will likely have to be replaced.
      Please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info can be very helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

20. Korak

Korak New Member

Explorer 2011
      Thank you Peter,

I'm based thousands of miles away from you guys, the car is a 2011 XLT with Microsoft ford touch, took it to the dealer here they replaced the camera and updated the software for a total of $320 the image quality remains to be the same. just happy it works now. just to add prior to this work I opened up the trim and the removed the camera cleaned the connector but made no difference to the issue.

Korak

21. bbqwolfe

bbqwolfe New Member

City, State:
      Milwaukee,WI
      2013 explorer xlt
      I have had the same camera issue on a 2013 w/ 80k "not working contact dealer" intermittent. I actually took a picture but have not taken it to the dealer yet. I have other issues with my computer. I don't consider myself that computer illiterate and I can't believe the system is that user UNfriendly. I have done the hard reset is there any other reset I can do?

22. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      As for the camera there is no actual reset for the issue you are having. I'm quite sure the camera requires replacing.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    23. benny18

benny18 Elite Explorer

2013 Explorer Limited
      Well my camera seems to have crapped out in my '13 limited. Checked eBay and can only find the Explorer model cameras for $300+. Are they the same camera that is used in the focus? Those are only $120. Different part numbers but looks the same. And what's the deal with the APIM? Saw the warranty is extended. Would that cause the camera to mess up? Everything else with MFT seems to be acting OK. Actually Navigation was a little sluggish to load the other day but eventually straightened itself out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

24. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      This is not an APIM issue. More than likely the camera has to be replaced. I'm not familiar with the one in the Focus but I doubt they are the same. For some reason prices just about doubled a couple years ago. The APIM warranty was extended on some model years due to the number of failures on the early models.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    25. benny18

benny18 Elite Explorer

2013 Explorer Limited
      Thanks Peter. I got a letter about the APIM but wasn't sure if it was something I needed to get taken care of or not as I haven't experienced a problem yet until now with the camera. Problem I'm having sounds the same as everyone else. Saw the earlier posts about the price being around $100. No such luck now. They must've realized they were going to be selling a lot of these and jacked the price up. :mad:

26. ahamid

ahamid New Member

City, State:
      Doha
      2012 XLT
      2012 XLT. 65k miles.
      Got the same issue last week (video stopped coming; says to contact dealer). Mine failed suddenly without giving any warning signs.

Is the rearview camera of Explorer '12 and F-150 the same? Part no. 19G490 matches but I believe the connector is different, is that correct?
      Searched for wiring diagrams online and got the ones for F-150 camera that shows two rows of three pins each, along with resistance checks to determine if camera is a booger.
      Does anyone have the similar electrical diagram for Explorer camera? My camera male connector has 6 pins in a single row. Googled but no joy.
      Also, has anyone tried fitting an aftermarket camera by adding an additional wiring harness to the original one to accommodate the AEM camera?
      Would appreciate a response.

Last edited: March 6, 2017