Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rearview Camera Problems

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by kkeb, June 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Streamwood, IL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. curtie44

curtie44 New Member

2011 explorer limited
      My explorer backup camera quit working the other day. After reading through most of this thread I found the replacement most are using on ebay and now when I put the car in reverse I have an image again.....BUT...its upside down! Is the fix for this calibrating with Forscan? I don't really want to drop another $70 on a Bluetooth OBD tool if it is not going to correct the issue. Anyone else run into this?

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      When a camera is replaced, the new one has to be programmed to the vehicle. Normally the dealer hooks up their IDS tool to do that. I'm not sure what it involves. According to a post in this thread, recalibration can be done in about 5 minutes with Forscan. Several members also had a reversed image but I don't believe they ever replied with what was done to correct it. I think there was a member who also had an upside down image but I haven't been able to find it so far.

Peter

5. curtie44

curtie44 New Member

2011 explorer limited
      Thanks for the reply Peter. I was able to get my hands on a wireless OBD scanner. I downloaded FORScan and performed the rear camera calibration. I get about 8% through the calibration when the test aborts and says to scan for DTC's. The only one that shows up is a B115E:08-48 error, but is says it's not an active fault. I'm able to reset it and the only time it comes back is when I try to run the calibration routine. Anyone have any experience with this error? The new camera works..when i put the vehicle in reverse, I see an image, although it is upside down and reversed, but an image nonetheless. I tried putting the old camera back in but I immediately get a DTC saying electrical error. It goes away with the new camera.

6. rdilks

rdilks New Member

City, State:
      Kansas
      2013 Explorer XLT
      Been having the same problems. Took some advise from the page and ordered the FL1T-19G490-AC. First one came in destroyed in shipping. Second one came in boxed and perfect condition. Exact fit and exact connections. Get a the black screen contact dealer still. Went to the dealer tried the reconfigure and everything. It sees the camera but won't turn on. Ford dealer says the camera is bad. Any thoughts?

Original camera out of the car is DB5T-19G490-AC.

Thanks for any input.

7. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Neither part number was found in my attempts on parts sites. I did find EB5Z-19G490-A.
      http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=camera
      http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx

Peter

8. rdilks

rdilks New Member

City, State:
      Kansas
      2013 Explorer XLT
      This is on page 15 of this thread. Cross referencing the part number the FL1T part number would actually be for a 2015 Expedition.

9. ahamid

ahamid New Member

City, State:
      Doha
      2012 XLT
      Hi @rdilks

That was me in that post. I have a '12 XLT Explorer. The original camera part no. was BB5T 19G490 AE. DOM was July 2011.

Apart from dealership, I could not find the camera from any where else that would ship to my place. Finally, I found a seller on aliexpress that offered some FoMoCo products. In his product range was one similar looking camera FL1T-19G490-**. Since this was a mere 60$ (with a buyer protection coverage in case it didn't reach me, or was faulty), I decided to take a leap of faith and went ahead with ordering it.

After receiving, I noticed it has a 2014 DOM while part no. is FL1T-19G490-** . Any how, it worked like a charm after installation. Has been working great since the past 2 months. Quality is HD and night results are much improved. This is owing to improvement in the camera by FoMoCo.

I am pretty certain the seller sourced it from the factory in China which makes these units for Ford.

Cheers!

10. SHaFT7

SHaFT7 New Member

2014 Explorer Limited
      Today I get in my car and put it in reverse and am greeted with this:

[​IMG]

the camera is stuck on that image and it flashes between that and a black screen. I drove to where i was going, shutdown, came back out 30min later, started up, and the SAME image from before was there just like this. This shot is from 4 drives later in my garage. needless to say, that's not the view behind my garage. Never had a camera problem until now. I can't seem to change to the other camera or do anything else.

(sorry for the sideways huge pic)

11. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Looks like a new camera may be in order.:( You could try a Master Reset but you'll lose some saved memory settings.

Peter

12. SHaFT7

SHaFT7 New Member

2014 Explorer Limited
      BOOM. that seems to have worked. and i didn't lose radio settings.

Bravo explorerforum, you've fixed both the problems i've brought to the table at no cost! better buy a lottery ticket, as i'm sure that'll never happen again!

after thinking about it again, the reset makes perfect sense, as the old image was stuck in there, so it was obviously a software issue.

13. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      Here is the camera I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Camera...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
      Note that it does not have the active guidelines and the magnification feature does not work. Both of those may? be fixed with FORSCAN or whatever, I don't know. The image seems to be good, at least on the same level as the factory camera if not slightly better. The label says "FoMo" instead of "FoMoCo".

I did some investigating on the dead camera- judging from the heat stress on the plastic case I would say 2 of the chips are overheating and failing prematurely. Nothing that is an obvious easy fix inside the case.

14. curtie44

curtie44 New Member

2011 explorer limited
      That is the exact same camera that I bought but when I installed it the image was upside down. When I tried to run the calibration routine in forscan at exactly 8% through the calibration I get an error. I have decided to return the camera. Now I guess I'm stuck going for the $350 oem camera? When I swung by my local ford dealer to get the part number they gave me
      Bb5z 19g490a for my 2011 limited. This is a different part number from what I took out:dunno:

15. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      There was a big improvement to the picture quality somewhere along the way. The camera picture in my 2014 MKT compared to my 2011 was almost HD quality as a few others have also noted when replacing the early OEM cameras.

Peter

16. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
    17. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      The edges of the board are darkened in the areas corresponding to the discolored case, looks to my untrained eye like it got too hot.

18. curtie44

curtie44 New Member

2011 explorer limited
      Have you had a chance to look at the underside of the board?

19. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      Not yet, the Torx screws are tiny and I can't remember where I put my set of little drivers.

20. Kevsrocking

Kevsrocking New Member

City, State:
      San Diego
      '11 Limited
      Same thing happened to me. I order (different vendor) the EB and they came back and told me I needed the BB which is $30 more. Which one did you end up going with? I have a 2011 Expl Limited. Thanks

21. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Doing a quick Internet search it seems that according to eBay the BB is for 2011 - 2012 Explorers and the EB is for 2013 - 15 Explorers. The 2016 - 2017 is GB.

Kevsrocking, it really is your first post in 6 years?? Welcome.

Peter

Last edited: July 19, 2017
    22. Kevsrocking

Kevsrocking New Member

City, State:
      San Diego
      '11 Limited
      True, but most state the EB works all the way down to the 2011. For $30 buck (after shelling out $300), I wanted to know if the EB worked. I guess I should go with the BB so the one little thing that changed doesn't cause an issue. Yep, first post... but I joined right before we bought our Explorer... first PNTA issue I have had to deal with.

23. Kevsrocking

Kevsrocking New Member

City, State:
      San Diego
      '11 Limited
      Peter, you seem to be the guru here. My Camera sort of works. It has a display but the display isn't "mirrored" and I have no lines. I tried to "calibrate" it with FORSCAN and an OBDII connector and it stated I could not connect to the camera. However, diagnostic checks show no negative issues? I wasn't sure if the lines came from the camera module or the APIM. Does the APIM process video or just "display it"?

24. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I'm afraid I'm far from being a guru. I've just been around for a while and have read a lot of posts. When you say it isn't "mirrored" are you saying the image is reversed? And the missing lines I'm guessing are the guidelines? There is a setting accessed through the touchscreen for the guidelines as far as which ones, fixed or moving are displayed. As per how the video is handled, perhaps members sheltonfilms and Jason jmr061 may be better suited to answer that. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

25. RandyH2

RandyH2 Active Member

City, State:
      MI
      '11 Limited AWD
      My understanding is the lines come from the camera module which is why aftermarket cameras often have the option of not having them. My GUESS is that the cameras we are buying are knock-offs or not quite legit in some way and come from various batches, perhaps even factory rejects which would explain the various levels of functionality we are seeing. Again, just a cynics guess. :)

26. vfral1

vfral1 Active Member

City, State:
      Cumming, GA
      '11 LTD Golden Bronze
      Just had mine replaced at the stealer...$760 all in, amazing rip off! At least I got a 2 yr warranty.