Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rearview Camera Problems

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by kkeb, June 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I updated my previous post.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ratherman265

ratherman265 New Member

2016 Explorer XLT AWD
      Was having issues with my 16 XLT a few weeks ago. Camera picture was basically "scrolling", which made it useless. After about a week it seemed to stabilize. Next morning I had a wrench light on my left display, stating "see manual". Took it to my local dealer, code told them camera needed replacing. After they installed the new camera, I now no longer have the guidelines and cannot use my trailer hitch zoom function. I have an appointment to get it fixed but the service rep seemed oblivious to what I was talking about. Basically just said "well bring it in for a look I guess. Hopefully the technician can fix it"

4. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      Guessing you have a SYNC2/MFT vehicle rather than the 4.2 inch screen.

The camera replacement doesn't require any special initiialization like it did in the 11-15. The service manual trouble shooting guide says an APIM reset should be done (which you can do). Give it a try and let us know.

Programming

NOTE: An APIM Reset consists of an APIM software cold boot and a SYNC® system Master Reset. It may not be necessary to perform a Master Reset after performing a cold boot if the concern is resolved.

1. Ignition OFF
      1. Remove any devices connected to the USB port(s), audio input jack/socket (if equipped), SD slot (if equipped), or RCA jacks (if equipped).
      1. Ignition ON.
      1. Cold boot the APIM software by simultaneously pressing and holding the radio power and seek up buttons for 8 seconds, and then releasing.
      1. NOTE: Performing a Master Reset returns all preference settings to the factory defaults, erases the phone book and call histories, and deletes any Bluetooth devices paired with the SYNC® system. For vehicles with navigation, the customer’s saved destinations (home, favorites, and previous) are erased.

Perform a Master Reset. If necessary, refer to “Master Reset” in the Owner's Literature.
      1. NOTE: If the concern remains after completing the APIM Reset procedure, advise the customer to power their device off and back on for a simple reboot. In some cases, if possible, the device's battery may also need to be removed and re-installed to complete a reboot. Delete SYNC® from the device’s Bluetooth menu prior to re-pairing the phone to the SYNC® system. If necessary, the customer can also perform a Master Clear, Master Reset, or Factory Data Reset on their device following the manufacturer's instructions in the device's owner's manual and/or website. Customer devices may affect the operation of SYNC® and this should be understood to prevent unnecessary diagnosis or repairs to the system.

2. If a concern is still present, return to the Symptom Charts.

• Like Like x 2
    5. ratherman265

ratherman265 New Member

2016 Explorer XLT AWD
      I do have the MFT/sync with nav. I've already got an appt with the dealership considering they just installed the camera...i feel like it should be them that takes care of it...plus I want an excuse to go get Starbucks this week!

6. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      They didn't program your new camera to your vehicle. That has to be done when the camera is replaced. It has been discussed here several times. Don't let them charge you for it.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    7. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      As I stated, not correct on the 16+. Only the 11-15s require that.

8. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      My apologies Jason. I skipped over the first part of your post and missed that notation.:oops:

Peter