Rearview Camera Problems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum DalV.:wavey:
I have merged your post with this one as per my PM. I had a 2011 Limited and never had any issues with the camera. If it was a fuse (34) the camera wouldn't work at all. That fuse also controls BLIS and the rear parking aid. I seriously doubt that interference from SIRIUS would be the problem. You can try a Master Reset or the negative battery cable disconnect for a period of time to see if that may help. If not, I think a trip to the dealer is in store.

It would also help us if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the left margin when you post. Not all models have the same features.

If you wish, you can also send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep that monitors this forum and see if she can help you get the 'ball rolling' on this issue. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Backup Camera problem

Ok, I went through a lot of pages to see if I could find anything about the backup camera and couldn't find anything but the mytouch. The warranty on the Explorer is already expired. The backup camera no longer works and it just has a pop up that says contact the dealership for service. I will not because they like to charge an arm and a leg for repairs...literally lol. The backup sensors still work but the camera doesn't. There are about 42,000 miles on it. It just did some of the recall fixes and mytouch upgrades yesterday and they wouldn't look at the backup camera since it's not under warranty and not part of the recall.

Anyone ever had any problems? Were you able to fix it yourself?

Are you saying that when you put the Explorer in 'Reverse' that the screen doesn't show anything? If you just bought it, I suggest taking it back to the dealer. Did it ever work for you?
You can try doing a Master Reset but you will likely have to re-pair your phone again if had done that. You may also have to reenter a few other items. Some people do a battery disconnect (negative cable) but that means that your transmission has to relearn its shift points and the fuel and trim settings will also have to be 'relearned'.
Since you are getting the pop up message telling you to take it to the dealer, I'm guessing that there is an actual problem with the camera and not the MFT.
Also, if you looked in the Owner's Guide for 'Backup Camera' you won't find it. It is under "R" for 'Rearview Camera'

BTW, welcome to the Forum PooPooSandwich.:wavey:

I'm moving your post to the In Vehicle Technology forum.

Peter

Just took in my parents 2011 Ford Explorer XLT! Same thing, the backup camera is not working at all now but the sensors work. Sounds a lot like everyone else here. It has 42,000 miles so it's out of warrenty and the dealership will not fix it. There are so many people with the problem so is there a way to get them to fix it even though its out of warrenty? I just sent a message to the person who everyone is saying to PM but was wondering if anyone has fixed it without having warrenty?

Although I can understand your frustration, this camera issue certainly isn't a common problem. You must also remember that every owner had the opportunity to purchase a FORD ESP. Because of all the electronics on these vehicles, many did so, others opted not to. We can't expect the manufacturer to fix all these issues for free. They are after all a business. The chance is that the camera repair will likely cost you less than the ESP had it been bought.

Peter

True! I don't have to have the camera fixed at Ford though right? I know they charge a lot of money to fix and was thinking of taking it to a mechanic. I've never had a car with so much techonology and now I want to go back to my little Mazda that had no issues after 100,000 miles lol. If I can I live in Los Angeles so any mechanic referred would be awesome.

Correct. You can take it to the place of your choosing to have it repaired. Just make sure they are familiar with it and the setup.

Peter

How are you making out with this issue? Has it been resolved?

Peter

I'm having the same problem with my 2011. Disconnected the battery cable and did a master reset but still saying "camera unavailable. please contact your dealership".

I think these are issues with the camera itself rather than with the MFT. The DIY suggestions in my previous post were made as sort of a 'last ditch' attempt to correct the problem before going to the dealer. I wonder if we are going to see more of these incidents with the early models? I think you will have to see the dealer on this issue.

Peter

So sorry for the late response. So my mom spoke to the manager of the Ford dealership. She was going to have their head tech guy take a look at it. We took it in, took about an hour for them to go through the car itself. Weird thing, they said they couldn't fix it. BUT, since then it's been working lol. It even has an upgrade to the camera. They did order a part for us and were giving us more than 50% off to fix the camera, but we told them it is working now and to keep us on stand by for the next couple weeks just in case it goes out again. So yay! I can see again behind me!!

New poster asking about backup camera problems

My backup camera started going black when in reverse and said to contact the dealership. Sometimes it would work, sometimes I would get the message, and other times I would get a rolling posture like on an old TV set. Took it into the ford dealership and was just called and told I had a wire that was burnt out and that the camera itself was bad and bothe would need to be replaced for a nice price of $500.00. Also there is a knocking noise in my dash that they are telling me is the motor that switches the ac air from outside air to recirculating inside air and it can be fixed for a nice price of $400. Since I have only had the car for 3 years I'm extremely disappointed that these things are failing so quickly and that I will be responsible for the cost of fixing them. Any help for a solution that doesn't cost almost a grand would e helpful!

My backup camera started going black when in reverse and said to contact the dealership. Sometimes it would work, sometimes I would get the message, and other times I would get a rolling posture like on an old TV set. Took it into the ford dealership and was just called and told I had a wire that was burnt out and that the camera itself was bad and bothe would need to be replaced for a nice price of $500.00. Also there is a knocking noise in my dash that they are telling me is the motor that switches the ac air from outside air to recirculating inside air and it can be fixed for a nice price of $400. Since I have only had the car for 3 years I'm extremely disappointed that these things are failing so quickly and that I will be responsible for the cost of fixing them. Any help for a solution that doesn't cost almost a grand would e helpful!

Welcome to the forum, Anhc! I'm Crystal, the resident Ford Service rep. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum Anhc.:wavey:
I doubt there is much you can do about the camera. It seems that the cameras in the early models are beginning to fail for some reason. The last few posts were all 2011 models. The reason many of us took out extended warranties was because of all the onboards electronics. On the bright side, your total bill will still be less than any Ford ESP you could have bought at the time.
It would also be helpful if you added the model of your Ex to your profile so that it show in the margin when you post. It may help with future concerns and responses. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the forum, Anhc! I'm Crystal, the resident Ford Service rep. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

Not sure how this works or if I needed to quote you for you to know I responded but I have 77,320 miles on it

Procedure explained via PM.:thumbsup:

Peter

I installed a superduty tailgate handle backup camera and rear view mirror with compass, microphone, and backup LCD in my 2010 F150, and the most common problem I have is a bad connection from the reverse indication on the truck. The truck already sent a reverse signal to the factory mirror due to the autodim mirrors. Ford turns off the driver's side mirror and rear view mirror autodim when you place the transmission in reverse (so you can see out of them at night while backing up).

I know the sync system is more complicated, but is it still using a reverse contact form the transmision to trigger the camera? My wife's explorer displays the camera at other times too, it would seem. That makes me think the programming makes decisions based on other factors. The camera itself has +12V, video +, video -, and ground connections. It's always powered on in my truck, but the LCD only turns on to the feed when the reverse contact closes on the transmission.

As far as I know, the backup assist sensors are completely separate from the backup camera other than power supply in the rear harness, so it's no surprise that they function when the camera dies or the APIM (MyFordTouch) has issues with the video feed.

I just checked the wife's Explorer after getting it back ; the moving lines when turning the steering wheel still are not showing up. Talked to service writer and taking it in next Friday again. He said to just drop by it was a simple thing to turn them on. I asked how come the tech didn't turn them on then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can turn them on yourself. It's in the Owner's Guide;

Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle
while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a
parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do
the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline
options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.

Peter

Back