Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by CDW6212R, November 11, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      I'll be posting some more pictures this coming week. I have discovered the maximum brake power that the ABS can handle. My 98 can leave rubber with the brakes. The ABS cannot interrupt the brake pressure quick enough to stop wheel speed from being different than vehicle speed. That results in some tire scrubbing at full brake pressure. I'm pondering a master cylinder change, or a proportioning valve.

I'm doing the reassembly and wiring now. I'll have more worthy pictures in a few days. Regards,

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. b2ornotb2

b2ornotb2 New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, AB
      1993 Eddie Bauer
      I have a situation similar to yours. I have a '93 Explorer that has a decent body but a lot of miles (and a shot A4LD transmission) and a '98 Explorer with lower miles that was rolled. Both are Eddie Bauers, 4x4, automatics but the '98 has a leather interior. I like your project/solution but am thinking of something a little different in that I want to keep the entire '93 body on the '98 chassis. I have some concerns about the mounting of items on the firewall, I am considering cutting out the fire wall from the '98 and put into the '93 body if that would make it simpler. I plan to use all of the '98 wiring.

To make sure I'm doing the right thing and to save some time, I have the following questions for you:

1. Do the body mounts all line up? (even the front?)
      2. Will the '93 front fenders, hood, grill all work? or is the frame different enough to cause issues with the front body parts?
      3. Since I'll be keeping the entire '93 body, I expect some issues in the engine compartment and with using the '98 dash. Will using the '98 firewall solve most of the issues with mounting items in the engine compartment (air conditioning, brakes, steering column, etc) and using the '98 dash?
      4. Will other interior parts from the '98 fit in the '93? I'd like to use the seats and door panels if possible.

Other than that how is your project going?

Thanks.

Don

4. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bremerton, WA
      1992 Explorer XL
      Swapping out the firewall (everything from about 1/2" under the windshield down to the floorpan) will alleviate ALOT of the problems that would incur from such a swap. It will allow you to bolt the new dash up, inside of an otherwise 1st Gen Interior.

The Electrical connections, and locations will be correct with the 'new' firewall in place...

As for the seats, yes. All buckets from 92-01 will swap,

You will need the wiring diagrams from BOTH 1993, and 1998 to splice in the power for the windows/mirrors/brakes/locks/turn signals....you get the idea...

Ryan

5. Kris Guilbeaux

Kris Guilbeaux Elite Demon Secretary Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Austin,Tx
      92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
      I am in the Middle of doing the Exact same, with my 92 and a 98 Eddie Bauers. All the body mounts will work between the two Except the front two that hold up the core support. The 93 mounts are spaced 3" narrower between the two different years. To properly mount the 98 Dash on the 93 body you will need to cut the body to a point past the front piller. just like CDW6212R did. You will need the inner fenders and core support to mount your Fenders and front clip. the 98 seat will mount the the 93 body as well.

6. SkanlaxJMO

SkanlaxJMO Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Syracuse, New York
      96 XLT
      that is one kick ass color

7. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes guys you are on the right track. If I could do it again I might either have sold the 93 and bought a good 98+, or chose a V6 OHV 98+ model. I hope that you are working with the OHV 4.0, and not the SOHC. The AC of the early model body cannot be used with the wider later engine.

I was at a second stage thinking of only cutting the firewall out of the 99 I have. I retired pro body man suggested that clipping the whole front/rear would be easier to do. I then had to decide on which fornt body work to use, etc.

There are definately many ways to swap parts between models. It comes down to time, money, tools, and then your goal. I have taken much longer because of the project being far from home(friend's garage), the major body work that I didn't do completely( I did most and/or got help), and my laziness.

I'm actually within a couple of weeks of being able to start mine. I'm finishing meshing two wiring harnesses. My original 99 body harness had been cut, I bought a 2000 EB model and started the truck when still assembled. I have added the 99+ rear air leveling suspension, which has many many wires throughout the truck. I have the four main harnesses from a 98 Limited model, which had the ARC suspension. So I have to be careful to not screw up the basic original wiring, and still add the extra 98 wiring.

I'll be taking many pictures as I go, and I'll post a few pictures as I go. Regards,

8. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod

My Buddy Brett has a 93 Explorer sport with a 2004 Ranger SOHC under the hood (no firewall modifications) however the HVAC plenum was modified but AC was retained.
      He also has the TTB and steering gear box, the SOHC can fit a first gen though it is tighter fit then my V8 even

9. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I did make the conclusion from other members, including yourself. I had originally wanted to just drop the body onto the late chassis.

The real problem would/will come down to wiring. There are hundreds of wires, and mixing harnesses is a massive task. Changing one circuit, or adding one circuit, is no big deal. But to try to mix the whole drivetrain harness from one type of wiring system with another is huge. I have done an engine transplant like the Sport you mentioned. I stuck an 88 Mustang 302 in place of a carbureted 351W in my 86 Crown Vic.

The older vehicles have somewhat simpler wiring in them. The newer(90ish and up) Fords have better separation between harnesses, but there are more wires yet to deal with. Now you have the two types of fuel systems(pre 99, 99+), electronic speed sensors, speedometers, etc.

Anything can be done, it is still about how much trouble, and is it worth it. I made several decisions as the project progressed. I basically chose the easiest way, and that usually meant more money, more complication, and more time.

Ford itself creates most of these retrofitting issues. They purposely change wiring colors for the same circuits, year to year. They change connectors usually with every model change, etc. It takes a lot of time and patience to do it right, to achieve equal or better reliability and safety. Regards,

10. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Crawlorado
      B2 Mod
      I presonally love your project, but changing a Gen I to be OBD-II is alot less work then what you have done here :)
      my 88 thinks its a 97.5, yes the harness was alot of work, and yes wiring is what I do. Ford is not the only maufacturer who changes wiring year to year.
      I would gladly trade you a wiring harness for some body work and paint!!! hahaha to each his own, to me its just perspective...

besides your project here was a perfect excuse to buy that lift you have!! drool....

Last edited: August 21, 2006
    11. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes, I did figure that into my budget. My final cost will be just under what a complete change of vehicle would have been, the $2600 or so of the lift ate the planned gain.

Oh, guys, if you do use that later body, plus wiring, you will be slowed by the driver's door wiring. The two types of door wiring is vastly different. As I hinted above, I chose the easiest way, which is taking longer. I cut my 93 doors to accept the 99 door jamb connectors. There is plenty of room, the cutting is tedious, and has to be done off of the car. You could more feasibly cut the later wiring to splice through the older 91-94 harness connectors. Those older connectors are hell to work with in the hole of the body, good luck.

12. Dre

Dre Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago
      94 Limited
      Know how it feels... I have myself been working on the wiring of my 94 Limited for the past couple of weeks. PO has installed a few gadgets but never cared to properly run wires (can you say duct tape baby!!!)... ever since I got the truck I've been replacing parts of the wiring plus splicing where needed and adding more and more stuff myself. Extra gauges, lights, lights and more lights, conversion to 95+ taillights, stereo, extra power points, extra driving lights, headlight conversion to euro-spec... etc, etc, etc. Driver door wiring is pretty darn tuff... even instrument clusters are not interchangeble between years and wire colors... never the same to make it easier. Know the pain... it takes time and patience. I love what you're doing... don't think I would do it the same way myself... perhaps a full frame off resto with custom changes and additions? perhaps? maybe some day... :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

13. NICE59FORDF100

NICE59FORDF100 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Austin, TX
      OBD-1 Kenobi
      Updates?

14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I will begine posting some of my newer pictures soon. Thanks for asking, I have been sitting for quite a while, pulling apart the main wiring harnesses of three vehicles to build one. I have pulled the ARC suspension wiring from a 98 Limited to add, and the original 99 body harness was cut. I am using a different body harness from a 2000 EB, so the memory seats have to be added separately. I will have a master window switch on both front doors, so I am adding a pair of wires and relays to each of three doors, plus side view mirror wiring for the right door panel also.

I'll get the main wiring in the first of this week, then I will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Regards,

Attached Files:

15. badmonkey

badmonkey Active Member

City, State:
      Bristol, Connecticut
      94 E/B Limited
      Holy Crap......I'm not worthy....nice project

16. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Utah
      96 sport
      bump :D

17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I've got most done now, I haven't spent the time to reduce the size of the pictures. I'll start with those of my second air system, compressor(Puma).

Attached Files:

18. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I took the front suspension apart last year, replacing axles, and the differential seals.

Attached Files:

19. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    20. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The 95-01 LF door connector holes are much different. I cut my 91-94 LF door to match the 99 harness connector.

Attached Files:

21. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The dog is a friend's, named Dido, obsessed with chasing toys/sticks.

This is the OEM ARC air pump cleaned up before mounting. Happily the system works to start with.

Attached Files:

22. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The hood after repainting(mosquitos), and the LF door after cutting to fit the 95-01 door panels. Notice the mirror mount holes, the top hole is shaped oddly for the 95-01 panels.

Attached Files:

23. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The wiring was the biggest task. The original body harness was cut before I bought the truck, so I used a different harness, not from a Limited. I cut wiring from the four main harnesses of a 98 Limited for the ARC system, added special wiring for windows, turn signals, mirrors, stereo(in case), etc. So far just minor issues have turned up.

Attached Files:

24. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The right front door switch was slow and not so fun to make.

Attached Files:

25. pughman

pughman Active Member

City, State:
      in a galaxy far far away "MISSOURI"
      92 XLT
      its geting there....

26. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      Props to your wiring!! I would have given up with frustration long ago!