Rebuilt 5R55S, please help me DECODE what the repair shop did. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt 5R55S, please help me DECODE what the repair shop did.

dmbaile2

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator AWD
I just purchase a 2005 Lincoln Aviator that had the transmission rebuilt just a couple months before I purchased it. All I have from the rebuild is the invoice, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these transmissions, but I am not a mechanic, please help me decode the invoice. The questions I have circling around in my head are the following:

-Does it look like it was quality work, a thorough rebuild? Good parts?
-Can expect this transmission to last longer than the original one (which only lasted 83k miles…)
-Should I contact the transmission shop that did the repair, if so, is there anything specific I should ask? About parts used, ect.
-What can I do to help this rebuilt transmission last?

Here is the invoice exactly as written:

“Customer states shifting is hard when accel RPM shoots up then pops into gear 2-3rd gear”

1x Banner Kit…………………... $307.88
1x Filter………………………….….$16.60
1x Sole Body………………………$247.00
1x Relief Valve………………..….$31.00
2x Servo Assemblies……….….$149.30
2x Band…………………………......$53.36
1x Rear Band……………….……..$41.50
1x Torq Conv Sonnax Disc…. $388.50
11x Fluid (B) – Oil………………….$79.75
5.7x Labor R R………………………..$684.00
8.1x Labor Banner Service……..$972.00
1x Shop Supplies…………….….$48.98
1x Internet Coupon…………. -$100

Total Charged: $3,020.99 after tax.

Transmission comes with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for any help!

Did they fix the thermostat in valve body. If not no flow till trans warms up. Change fluid and filter at regular intervals (now then once a year). Make sure you use the merconV trans fluid. External filter would help trans life there are inline and remote ones that use a filter like engine oil filter. I prefer the remote mount myself. Last baby this trans it is not like C6 C4 or FMX of the 1970's.

I just purchase a 2005 Lincoln Aviator that had the transmission rebuilt just a couple months before I purchased it. All I have from the rebuild is the invoice, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these transmissions, but I am not a mechanic, please help me decode the invoice. The questions I have circling around in my head are the following:

-Does it look like it was quality work, a thorough rebuild? Good parts?
-Can expect this transmission to last longer than the original one (which only lasted 83k miles…)
-Should I contact the transmission shop that did the repair, if so, is there anything specific I should ask? About parts used, ect.
-What can I do to help this rebuilt transmission last?

Here is the invoice exactly as written:

“Customer states shifting is hard when accel RPM shoots up then pops into gear 2-3rd gear”

1x Banner Kit…………………... $307.88
1x Filter………………………….….$16.60
1x Sole Body………………………$247.00
1x Relief Valve………………..….$31.00
2x Servo Assemblies……….….$149.30
2x Band…………………………......$53.36
1x Rear Band……………….……..$41.50
1x Torq Conv Sonnax Disc…. $388.50
11x Fluid (B) – Oil………………….$79.75
5.7x Labor R R………………………..$684.00
8.1x Labor Banner Service……..$972.00
1x Shop Supplies…………….….$48.98
1x Internet Coupon…………. -$100

Total Charged: $3,020.99 after tax.

Transmission comes with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for any help!

The Banner kit is a over haul kit that has all the seals, gaskets, small items and all the clutches needed for a rebuild.
The Sole Body is the solenoid block assembly, its commonly replaced during a overhaul.
The Relief valve is a valve in the pump that is prone to stick and fail, a must for every rebuild.
The Servo Assemblies are servos that apply the bands, this unit has three and they do have problems.
The 2 bands are the overdrive and intermediate bands, these bands can wear out and or break, another commonly replaced item.
The Rear band is a band that is used in reverse and low, it is known to wear out and break as well.
The Torq Conv Sonnax Disk is a torque converter that has a Sonnax lock up clutch in it. Sonnax makes products for transmissions and is known for great quality and engineering.
Labor R R is the labor for Removing and Reinstalling the transmission.
Labor Banner Service is labor for rebuilding the transmission itself.

All this sounds typical for a rebuild and at a reasonable price and warranty.

The customers description of the problem would indicate a common failure with this transmission, a shift flare between gears (2-3), this is in most cases due to worn servo bores in the transmission case. The fix for this is to sleeve the case with brass sleeve inserts, a shop must have the tooling to be able to preform this service. Any shop that repairs transmission these days should have this capability to do this, if not they shouldn't be in business. This procedure is most likely part of the labor to rebuild the transmission and may not be listed on your invoice.

Its hard to say if it will last any longer this time, it all depends on what fails. Sometimes things just break and there is not too much you can do about it and it can happen at anytime. One would think the brass sleeves would wear less than the bare aluminum case bores but I have had to replace a worn brass sleeve not so long ago...

Just be mindful of any leaks and have it serviced periodically maybe like once a year and that's all you should worry about.

You may want to call the shop and ask if the warranty is transferred during the sale of the vehicle.

Thank you for the very thorough response JK080.

If I were to have to replace the bushing at some point in the future, is that a DIY job?

And given that you are a transmission shop owner, in your opinion, what vehicles do you see in your shop the most often, ie. which vehicles are known for having not great transmissions?

Back