Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Receiver w/ USB Input for less than $100?

eyal8r

Reaction score
Hey guys-
Looking to replace my factory deck with a cheapo aftermarket (I have a $100 budget). I'd love to get me a deck w/ a usb input on it. I've been searching the net, but not finding anything. Anyone have any suggestions on one and where?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why USB? I have a headphone jack input I can plug my MP3 into on the front of my Pioneer witha patch cable if that's what you're trying to do. What are you attempting to hook up?

Gotcha. I've never had a USB receiver, so I wasn't familiar with it. With mine, (I keep a 'Pearl' in the car) i just hold onto it instead of my Pioneer remote.

Makes sense though... Thanks for the info!

EDIT- I read the auction- and he has everything included, with a $2 extra fee if you want the box... :wtf:

Well, I didn't know that I COULD pick the song from the headunit w/ a USB hookup. That's cool! Do they all have that capability? All I know is I'd rather not use an MP3 player as mine sucks and I rarely use it. I'd prefer to use my flash memory stick instead.

Other than that- where's the cheapest place to buy receivers online? I'd need the harness and install kit as well. I've been checking out Crutchfield, but... not sure if they're the cheapest or not.
Thanks guys!

If you hit over a certain dollar amount at Crutchfield, they give you the harness and install kit. That will most likely save you about $30-ish. Subtract that from your cheapest deal and see if it is less or not.

Makes sense that you would be able to pick tracks with the USB- because there isn't a player on the USB- only files. With the MP3, it's playing the song, you just get the audio from the MP3 to the head unit and forward it to the speakers.

This is the MP3 for the car that I got, along with a $5.00 patch cable. Stores enough stuff that I can go through them, and if it breaks- eh, it was only $30. Works good for me! :D

I was looking for the USB style like you are before I got mine, but wanted the Pioneer HU. This MP3 also has a USB plug on it, which is nice.

Yeah-
Seems like they're all about $120-130ish. I was looking at the cheapest deck at Best Buyer. $80. But then you needed another $20 for harness, and $20 for install kit. I'd rather have a nicer deck w/ the USB port for the same price, everything included. Crutchfield might be the way to go here...

So you have stock speakers?

Stock. Which, in time, I'll replace. Just money is really tight right now, so I just want to replace the receiver- I'll do speakers later... Either way, looks like spending $129 at crutchfield is the best deal- includes all the harness/install kits, and get a much better receiver...
What do you think?

Personally, wait until the budget includes speakers. What vehicle do you have? I have a box of speakers that you might want to check out... how far are you from CA?

Don't know if ya have a Walmart local to ya, but I think the one around here I seen a headunit that has scan disk/usb inputs on the face for I believe around $80.00.

Alright, I'll throw them out for sale... If you want them, let me know.

What speakers do you have donner? Send me a PM.

They just posted...

This brand did not do so well...

Check these out...

I hook a portable hard drive directly to my head unit. Kenwood seems to have the best compatibility rates with these. Be sure to use FAT32 formatting as none that I've seen will read NTFS. If you want to go the HDD route, you may need additional power (I did), so one of these will help:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10826&cs_id=1082602&p_id=3523&seq=1&format=2

I hacked one apart and put it inside the console (unused part near the shifter) and added a USB port IN my console right next to the factory aux input. Works VERY nicely, and I have 120 GB's of uncompressed music (about 110 CD's ripped as .WAV). If you were to go MP3, you could likely hold about 1000 or more discs on a tiny hard drive.

well, after many house searching, checking local stores, etc...

Crutchfield has the best prices. By the time you add in the install kits and wiring harnesses at any other deck/price- Crutchfield is cheapest. So, with that said, here's the two I am debating between (unless the wife puts a stop to it and makes me cut the budget even more). Which one is better?

Clarion DB285USB
or
Sony CDX-GT420U

Both are at $129, includes all install stuff, and free shipping. I like that Kenwood deck mentioned earlier, too... but it'd still be more expenisve by the time you pay shipping, install materials and wiring harnesses. OOH- side question here...

Is there somewhere online that's cheaper to buy the dash kit and wiring harness?

Anyways- which do you guys think is the best between the 3?
Thanks

I have been searching for a replacement with USB/aux in for a while too. I found Clarion and Dual HUs with USB for just under $100, but after reading reviews I went for a Sony instead. Sorry, but I won't be able to tell you what I think of it until after my Birthday ;), but I do know that most reviewers seem to like the sound of the Sony units ahead of Clarion or Dual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the clarion is probably the best...

Back