Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jmr061, December 9, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      16 Edge Sport
      This applies to 2011-2015 Explorers, the 2016 and up is NOT the same!

I am no longer selling IKTs. (2-8-16)

***11/14/17 - I still get daily emails asking if I sell key fobs (IKTs)....I don't. I also get daily emails asking about the ignorance of dealers not knowing they can do this and asking me to contact them or where is a dealer that can do it. Sorry I am not going to do this and I don't keep a list of dealers that know they can it.

There has been so much discussion on the remote start systems for the Explorer I am doing this thread in hopes of answering most questions.
      If you have other information or questions not answered here, email me directly: Jason@fordPImods.com and I will update this topic.

First and foremost, regardless of what any dealer says ALL 2011-2015 Ford Explorers are factory equipped with the "base" remote start system. Its just a question of whether or not it is enabled.

The vehicle must have a hood switch installed - all XLT and above models have a hood switch installed from the factory. The base model Explorer does not have a hood switch and also does not have the required hood switch wiring so those must be installed and Ford does market a kit for this. See part number listed below.

For the base functioning remote start system NO additional modules need to be installed. The vehicle is already equipped with the "hardware" and logic to support remote start. There isn't a special remote start system for this, it is built into existing modules. The base system has an advertised 300' operating range. The only time additional modules exist is when you have an upgraded system installed such as Remote Access/1000' range models/Security System.

There are two types of factory "FOBs" for the remote start system. One is the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT) which has a blade style key and has a built in FOB for keyless entry. If you have a power liftgate your FOB will also have a "trunk" release button. For remote start the IKT adds the remote start button that has a symbol of an arrow tipped circle with the number "2" in the middle of it. Remote start IKTs are available in 4 or 5 button depending on if you have a power liftgate. To use remote start you only need 1 IKT with the remote start button but of course you can have more.

2013-2015 Ford Police Interceptor Remote Start Options (this shows what the hood switch and IKTs look like)

The other type of FOB is for the Intelligent Access (IA) system. This has a hidden keyblade for unlocking the door in a "emergency" situation such as a dead battery. This system is used for push button start vehicles. The remote start FOB for IA also has a button with the arrow tipped circle with the number "2" in the middle of it. To my knowledge all IA Explorers have remote start enabled from the factory. If this is no true please correct me.

If your vehicle did not come with a package that includes the basic remote start feature all the dealer has to do is enable it through the dealer software known as IDS.

IDS Process:
      The dealer will hook up to the vehicle and start a new vehicle session. Then in order they select menu items under the tool box tab: body --> security --> remote start. A warning screen will pop up stating that the hood pin must be installed and that an antenna must be installed with the exceptions of several vehicle types INCLUDING the Explorer. I repeat....the Explorer does not require an additional antenna for the base remote start system. If a hood pin is not installed IDS will fail in enabling remote start. Depending on the year of the Explorer, IDS may ask the user if the vehicle has climate controlled seats and a heated steering wheel. IDS will then enable remote start. There will be new menu items in the instrument cluster related to remote start. This process may take up to 15 minutes. What your dealer charges to do this is up to them. CHECK AROUND and get estimates!!

Any new remote start keys will need to cut and programmed to the vehicle. If you have two existing keys you can program new keys to your vehicle yourself (the process is noted in your Owner's Manual) otherwise your dealer will need to program your new key(s) to the vehicle. The vehicle can have up to 4 IKTs programmed to it. The keys do not need to be programmed to the vehicle before enabling remote start but it doesn't change anything if you do it ahead of time.

Video of IDS Process:

Official Ford Part Numbers:

Hood Switch - BT4Z-19G366-A
      Hood Switch Wiring Kit for Base Models - DG1Z-14B504-A
      Official 4 Button IKT Remote Start Kit (Note this contains 2 Keys, nothing else) - BB5Z-19G364-A
      Official 5 Button IKT Remote Start Kit (Note this contains 2 Keys, nothing else) - DA8Z-19G364-A

4 Button Remote Start IKT - Ford/Rotunda #164-R8067 (Strattec #5912561 )
      5 Button Remote Start IKT - Ford/Rotunda #164-R8000 (Strattec #5921467 )

Available Ford non-factory Remote Start Kits (ie installed at the dealer or yourself)

1000' One-Way Remote Start System
      DL3Z-19A361-A (Vehicle Security System - VSS)
      DL3Z-15603-C (Antenna Kit)
      DS7Z-15K601-F (Separate One-Way Remote Start FOB)

1000' Bi-Directional Remote Start System
      DL3Z-15603-C (Antenna Kit)
      DS3Z-15K601-A (Separate Two-Way Remote Start FOB)

Remote Access System (Cell Phone/Web Based)
      DL3Z-19A390-B (RMU Kit)
      *Please note both were previously sold as a kit under part #DL3Z-19G364-A but that is no longer the case.

Additional Information - North American FOBs operate on 315mhz and Export units operate on 433mhz. The TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) receiver is the receiver for the FOBs and in the Explorer is at the rear and bottom of the center console.

All Part Numbers provided are for North American kits. Exports Kits may vary as they operate at a different frequency.

Last edited: February 16, 2018 at 3:31 AM
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbertrand514

jimbertrand514 New Member

City, State:
      Montreal, QC
      2014 Explorer XLT V6 4WD
      Hi Jason,

Great idea to make it clear for everyone. When I started researching remote starters for my 2014 XLT I have to admit I was extremely confused with all the different options.

I have now my Series 100 (5 buttons because of power tailgate) cut, programmed and enabled by the dealer and it works great, apart from the fact that the dealer forgot to enable heated seats (which they will fix next week).

I have to say that I find it to be the cheapest, most convenient option in the fact that this is all FORD parts, no need for another annoying remote on my key chain, no need for wiring or aftermarket install and it works fine from a good distance. On top of which you have some level of control on systems you want to run during the remote start session.

Thanks for clarifying for all the people that can be confused like I was at first.

4. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      I got this activated today with JMR061's help. I had to call around a bit to find a dealer familiar with it. Grand total cost involved between buying a key from JMR, key cut/program, and activation was $185. That's hard to beat!

5. Funkster

Funkster New Member

City, State:
      Anderson, IN
      2015 Ford Explorer XLT
      Did the dealership cut your new keys, or did you get them done at a hardware store? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Thanks.

6. kars85

kars85 Active Member

City, State:
      IOWA
      2015 Explorer XLT - 202A
      It's all labor. You might get charged a full hour, or if you've got someone who knows there way around the IDS to get it setup, perhaps they'll get you in and our for a half hour of labor. Cutting the new IKT would only be a few bucks.

I had my remote start enabled and new cut IKT key from Jason negotiated into the purchase of the vehicle.

My personal opinion is to not try and get a key from fleabay, go to Jason as he's a great dude all around and will be sure to get the proper button setup for your vehicle.

7. jimbertrand514

City, State:
      Montreal, QC
      2014 Explorer XLT V6 4WD
      My dealer charged me a forfait price of 59.99 for programming keys plus IDS and 5 $ per key cut (2)

So total of 69.99 for the procedure.

Of course i had to by the new set of two 5 button keys also. (About 200$)

8. PJR202

PJR202 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      For the person that asked..

I was quoted $178 over the phone by this dealer for the activation and key cut but at the cashier desk they said $95. It might be because I only brought one key? I think I could program the second one myself though anyway.

I think I paid Jason $91 for the key including shipping. It was a genuine Ford key, which I couldn't be sure of from other vendors. Plus, he traded so many messages with me helping me out I wouldn't have felt right buying it elsewhere. The service department manager even commented how much cheaper they could be found online. I still find it very odd that one dealer can know so much about it and almost every other one had no idea what I was talking about.

let me just say..it works GREAT and has excellent range for the basic setup.

Last edited: January 8, 2015
    9. BoSox13

BoSox13 New Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2013 Explorer
      For me, I bought the keys from Jason, had them cut at a locksmith for a few bucks each and programmed them myself. The hardest part was finding a dealership willing to be educated. Three dealerships refused to even look at the documentation that I had.

10. ajay078

ajay078 New Member

City, State:
      Banning Ca
      2014 Ford Explorer XLT
      So I got my remote start working today. works great. Called other dealers and they tried to get me to buy a new system. $511.00 to get it installed and working. Thanks to Jason(Jmr061) I did not have to do that. Got my key from him since all xlt's and above has remote start already. He helped with the programming. total cost for key's, cutting and activating remote start was 210.00. Took the instructions Jason mentioned above. Made the techs job easier. One issue I am having is that the heated seats do not stay on when the remote start is activated. I had it set to "last user setting" but still goes off. Has anyone experienced this issue.

Also if you are still experiencing the funny smell from the engine during hard acceleration there is a fix for that now. the dealers don't tell you that the fix for the recall is available you have to ask them. My dealer told me that the fix has been available since July 2014 even though I took my car in for service in September 2014 Taking it in tomorrow for the fix.

Last edited: January 21, 2015
    11. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      The lights for any of the climate control stuff will not function during remote start. The items still work however. The seats may be tied into temperature even in the last user setting?

I still have more keys available :)

12. cwall43

cwall43 New Member

City, State:
      Harrisburg, IL
      2011 Ford Explorer
      Weird, my 2011 has remote start, but I have to hit the lock button twice really quickly and it starts. I was really curious about that. Good info, now just need to figure out what to do!!

13. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport

Sounds like an aftermarket system.

14. Cayman150

Cayman150 New Member

2014 XLT 3.5L Flex 2WD
      So if I have read this correctly, I can purchase 2 new IKT 4 button keys (part #BB5Z-19G364-A ) from the OP Jason, and then use my 2 original OEM keys to program the new 4 button keys myself without having to go into a dealer for them to do anything? I have a 2014 XLT so it should already be equipped with the other necessary stuff for remote start.

Ta-da I am done....correct?

15. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      The dealer or someone with the hardware and software would still need to enable remote start.

16. Cayman150

Cayman150 New Member

2014 XLT 3.5L Flex 2WD
      Ok noted.

Dang!....I was trying to avoid those thieves.

• Like Like x 1
    17. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      Check with a few dealers...people have had it activated for as little as 30-some bucks up to 130ish.

Regardless of what the dealer tells you all they have to do is activate it. There is no hardware installation. You should have verified you have the hood pin already.

18. Cayman150

Cayman150 New Member

2014 XLT 3.5L Flex 2WD
      Thanks for your help and knowledge.

There's only one dealer here and they don't seem to be very familiar with how to do these things. I've been waiting on a price from them for remote start and some other accessories from when I purchased the vehicle in September 2014.

I'll probably just buy what I need from you and then go in and get them to do their part, which I hope is as least as possible.

19. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
      Just give them this:

If your vehicle did not come with a package that includes the basic remote start feature all the dealer has to do is enable it through the dealer software known as IDS.

IDS Process:
      The dealer will hook up to the vehicle and start a new vehicle session. Then in order they select menu items under the tool box tab: body --> security --> remote start. A warning screen will pop up stating that the hood pin must be installed and that an antenna must be installed with the exceptions of several vehicle types INCLUDING the Explorer. I repeat....the Explorer does not require an additional antenna for the base remote start system. If a hood pin is not installed IDS will fail in enabling remote start. Depending on the year of the Explorer, IDS may ask the user if the vehicle has climate controlled seats and a heated steering wheel. IDS will then enable remote start. There will be new menu items in the instrument cluster related to remote start. This process may take up to 15 minutes. What your dealer charges to do this is up to them. CHECK AROUND and get estimates!!

Any new remote start keys will need to cut and programmed to the vehicle. If you have two existing keys you can program new keys to your vehicle yourself (the process is noted in your Owner's Manual) otherwise your dealer will need to program your new key(s) to the vehicle. The vehicle can have up to 4 IKTs programmed to it. The keys do not need to be programmed to the vehicle before enabling remote start but it doesn't change anything if you do it ahead of time.

20. jimbertrand514

City, State:
      Montreal, QC
      2014 Explorer XLT V6 4WD
      My dealer charged me 59.99 $ for programming my 2 new keys and programming the car with IDS.
      it takes them 15 minutes tops so don't let them charge you more than 1 hour of labor.

21. cwall43

cwall43 New Member

City, State:
      Harrisburg, IL
      2011 Ford Explorer
      I don't know if it is or not, I do know that it is the factory key, both of them. If I hit the lock button twice consecutively, it will start. Runs 10 minutes I think.

22. BoSox13

BoSox13 New Member

City, State:
      Connecticut
      2013 Explorer
      Do you have the Remote Start setting options in the information menu?

23. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge Sport
    24. Goobr

Goobr New Member

City, State:
      Lakeland, FL USA
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Great thread Jason, and thank you. Just ordered a 5 button FOB for my EX Sport with power lift gate. Lots of Ford dealers here in Central Florida but I hope my dealer will give me the best price for enabling the remote start. I can program the FOB, no sweat.

Believe it or not, I've used my heated seats twice this year. :p: For real though, I'm looking to have my Sport interior cooled down when I get to it in the brutal FL summers.

25. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport
      Just installed this Remote Access kit and thought I would add some more trivia. As stated, the new kit consists of the two part numbers above, whereas the "old" kit was the single part number (DL3Z-19G364-A) which still contained both items. The difference, other than the need to purchase the two separately now, is how the kit is wired up.

With the old version, it is plugged in to the TPMS module at the rear of the center console with a jumper harness, which requires removal of the rear and side trim panels of the console, as well as the glove box door. It is kind of a pain attaching the RMU & VSS behind the glove box since there isn't a lot of room (and you don't want to block the cabin filter access), but I had mine done in about an hour. There are still plenty of these kits around, and they usually can be scored for a nice discount (got mine for $300).

Here are instructions for that kit (probably posted in other places on this site as well):

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/f...es/2011-2013 Remote Access_Truck3-15-2013.pdf

The new version uses the same modules, again purchased separately, but it wires in to the OBD port and everything tucks in under the dash on the drivers side - much easier (it contains a revised wire harness for that). As far as I can tell, the function is completely the same, but for whatever reason, Ford saw fit to wire it in differently and sell it under the two part numbers. From what I have read, both kits still work the exact same way.

The latest instructions are here (From the Levittown Ford site):

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/docs/2011_2014_Scalable_Kit_Truck_10_18_2013.pdf

This document also has details as to how the kits break down for all vehicles:

http://www.paulmachenry.com/documents/Hero Cards/FORD RMST Apps.pdf

Activation was a snap as well. A parts manager at a local dealer was nice enough to do this as a freebie for me over the phone - took all of five minutes and everything works perfectly. If you install the kit yourself and any dealer tells you that it needs to come in for activation, they don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited: February 3, 2015
    26. xsbc63x

xsbc63x New Member

2013 ford explorer limite
      So if I have a 13 explorer limited with the factory remote start and I wanted to add the
      Bi-directional remote start I would need the following parts ? sorry having a hard time getting an answer from dealers on this.

1000' Bi-Directional Remote Start System
      DL3Z-145603-C (Antenna Kit)
      DS3Z-15K601-A (Separate Two-Way Remote Start FOB)