Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Does anyone know how the factory hood pin switch wiring harness is set up on the XLT and up? Pictures on where it goes in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bought a 2013 XLT. I found this thread before purchasing. They still tried to tell me it was going to be over $600 for a remote start system installed and I think that was aftermarket.

After getting home and looking through the left hand information menu the remote start menu items are already there. Is that normal or does that mean it's already programmed in the IDS?

Wondering if the last owner had it installed and handed in the 3 button IKT's instead of the 4 buttons or Long Range Remote.

Just bought a 2013 XLT. I found this thread before purchasing. They still tried to tell me it was going to be over $600 for a remote start system installed and I think that was aftermarket.

After getting home and looking through the left hand information menu the remote start menu items are already there. Is that normal or does that mean it's already programmed in the IDS?

Wondering if the last owner had it installed and handed in the 3 button IKT's instead of the 4 buttons or Long Range Remote.

Then remote start is already enabled. An antenna on the windshield would indicate a long range system installed. A remote access kit (cell phone control) would not have the antenna but would have modules somewhere in the vehicle.

The basic IKT based remote start system is use-able even if it has the above installed. Only issue would be how many keys are already programmed to the vehicle...it can hold a max of 4.

Then remote start is already enabled. An antenna on the windshield would indicate a long range system installed. A remote access kit (cell phone control) would not have the antenna but would have modules somewhere in the vehicle.

The basic IKT based remote start system is use-able even if it has the above installed. Only issue would be how many keys are already programmed to the vehicle...it can hold a max of 4.

I'll dig around some and look for the other modules. I may he continue nota ting you for a few IKT's depending on what I find. Thanks.

I'll dig around some and look for the other modules. I may he continue nota ting you for a few IKT's depending on what I find. Thanks.

The connection points for the other modules would be the OBD2 connector (you would see the original one tucked back and a replacement mounted or to the TPMS receiver which is buried in the center console.

Has anyone done this in Cincinnati? I'm wondering what dealership, if any, will do it.

I just activated my remote start. Kings Ford did it no problem. The service writer said he was skeptical it would work without a module, but he was willing to try. It took them about 20 minutes. I had them cut and activate my remote start key too. I was out the door for $62 (tax included).

I got the keys for remote start, and had one of our techs set it up for me. Happy wife means happy life!

Worked Like a Champ!

+1 for Jason.

Ordered a set of IKT's. Received them in (3) Day's.

Went to the Dealer to have this enabled, and they never heard of this, but were willing to try it without any complaining. They when ahead and performed the activation ($25). When I went back to them, I had the new key's in hand I received from Jason (OEM). I took them back to the parts department (in the original sealed Ford Plastic Bag), and asked if they would cut them. I guess since I had a service ticket, they thought I bought the Key's there. They cut the keys free of charge. After looking in the owner's manual, I found programming the key's to be a very simple process. The Dealership wanted $35 / key. Prior to leaving the dealership, I programmed those two extra key's in about 2 minutes - very easy.

You can have a total of 4 admin keys (IKT), so I have my (2) original, plus the (2) new w/ remote start.

The remote start worked like a champ!

Thanks Jason for posting this and saving a lot of us a significant amount of money!

Explorer is at the dealer, they are going to "try" to activate it for me, the tech was skeptical. They are charging $62 to activate (30 min labor charge), and to cut the key I got from Jason. I will update this afternoon when I get it back.

Explorer is at the dealer, they are going to "try" to activate it for me, the tech was skeptical. They are charging $62 to activate (30 min labor charge), and to cut the key I got from Jason. I will update this afternoon when I get it back.

Explorer is back, remote start activated. They changed how much they were going to charge for the better, I was $55 out the door.

Thank you Jason!!

On a side note, they said that when I get in and push on the brake it will shut off the remote start, that I need to move the key to start before touching the brake. Is this correct?

Also, when setting the climate, what are the "auto" settings?

Explorer is back, remote start activated. They changed how much they were going to charge for the better, I was $55 out the door.

Thank you Jason!!

On a side note, they said that when I get in and push on the brake it will shut off the remote start, that I need to move the key to start before touching the brake. Is this correct?

Also, when setting the climate, what are the "auto" settings?
See Climate Control on page 154 of your Owner's Manual (2nd print). It explains it and the temperature range.

Peter

does the AC really turn off after pressing start/stop button after remote starting??

does the AC really turn off after pressing start/stop button after remote starting??

If you have the climate controls set to "AUTO" in the remote start settings, It will turn ac/heat on and off as needed depending what the outside air temp is. Even the heated seats set to "AUTO" in the remote start settings, will do the same.

The remote start settings are in the gauge cluster menu.

If you have the climate controls set to "AUTO" in the remote start settings, It will turn ac/heat on and off as needed depending what the outside air temp is. Even the heated seats set to "AUTO" in the remote start settings, will do the same.

The remote start settings are in the gauge cluster menu.
thanks...but after i press start button again before accelerating... the AC turns of again and i need to press it

Just curious and wanted to see if anyone had info on the key blade stored inside of the IKT for vehicles with push button start. I see in the manual where the key blade is used to open the driver door, but have been unable to find if it can be used to start the car and if so where.

Watched a video on syncmride.com showing how some vehicles have a key ignition for the key blade either hidden behind a panel on the steering column or inside the compartment at the front of the center console, but have not found anything for a 2012 Explorer. Was changing out the battery on my wife's IKT and it just kind of came up.

Just curious and wanted to see if anyone had info on the key blade stored inside of the IKT for vehicles with push button start. I see in the manual where the key blade is used to open the driver door, but have been unable to find if it can be used to start the car and if so where.

Watched a video on syncmride.com showing how some vehicles have a key ignition for the key blade either hidden behind a panel on the steering column or inside the compartment at the front of the center console, but have not found anything for a 2012 Explorer. Was changing out the battery on my wife's IKT and it just kind of came up.
What you have, if you have push button start, is a IA (Intelligent Access) key, not a IK (Integrated Key Head) key. The key blade will open the driver's side door and the glove box. It can not be used to start the vehicle.

Peter

Got it. Thanks

thanks...but after i press start button again before accelerating... the AC turns of again and i need to press it

If I have the climate controls set to auto, the AC will turn on and off as needed to get to what ever temp that you have set on the climate controls. If it needs the AC on to cool the inside to reach your set temp, it will turn on. If it's not needed, it will leave it off.

During the remote start cycle. The AC will turn on because the remote start switches to the defroster mode during the start cycle. Once you get in and hit the start button, what I wrote above happens.

On a warm day, you can try to set the temp down low before you shut it off. When you remote start. It should turn the AC on and it should stay on when you hit the start button.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I have the climate controls set to auto, the AC will turn on and off as needed to get to what ever temp that you have set on the climate controls. If it needs the AC on to cool the inside to reach your set temp, it will turn on. If it's not needed, it will leave it off.

During the remote start cycle. The AC will turn on because the remote start switches to the defroster mode during the start cycle. Once you get in and hit the start button, what I wrote above happens.

On a warm day, you can try to set the temp down low before you shut it off. When you remote start. It should turn the AC on and it should stay on when you hit the start button.
thanks a lot

Back