Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jmr061, December 9, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. new to ford

new to ford Active Member

City, State:
      Rochester Hills, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      11XLT202A 17Sport401A
      IT WORKED!
      The dealer charged me $57 to enable the key and now I have remote start!
      They wrote in the invoice: "ENABLE IN IDS, RECONFIGURE BCM TO ALLOW REMOTE START.

All in, less than $120 for OEM remote start including new key, thanks to all the guy here that posted great info!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Evans956

Evans956 Member

City, State:
      Northern Virginia
      2013 Explorer Base
      Really quick question. If I wanted to increase the range of my remote start and I buy the antenna for it and plug it into the tpms in the center consol?

4. dont slow down

dont slow down Active Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      Well my aftermarket key died on my wife yesterday. She was at the post office and it wouldn't start the car. Luckily me being leery of that fault upon start up about not being able to program the key, hid an oem spare in the back so she was able to get home. When I tried it at home it wouldn't start the car and gave a "Starting system fault" error. Buttons and remote start worked still. I contacted the seller and they are refunding me. So now I need another key. I can't find any oem ones on amazon, although there is another seller with a programming guarantee but I'm wondering if I should just try to get an oem. Other than the dealer where can I find an oem key?

5. meisterhyde

meisterhyde New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, MI
      2015 Explorer XLT
      I just purchased 2 of the universal 4 button remotes for my 2014 explorer xlt I just picked up. I am getting them from Replacement Keyless Entry Remotes and Key Fobs Replace My Remote at about $30 or so a piece. These are the non-oem ones. Their oem ones were still a bargain at $70-$80.....

So I don't have to reread 19 pages of this thread, what concern were you aware of or problems did you have during programming?
      My plan was to get the keys cut and since I have two OEM keys already, I was going to try the programming method at home. Should I be worried?

TIA

6. dont slow down

2013 Explorer XLT
      Programming them isn't hard and if you have the oem keys you are good to go. Just follow the process in the manual. You will have to do two programming steps with aftermarket keys, one for the key and one for the fob buttons. To program the buttons try this:

7. meisterhyde

meisterhyde New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, MI
      2015 Explorer XLT
      So can I ask, what happened to your key? Why did it lose programming? Again, I haven't read all 19 pages. The last time I was in this thread reading was a few years ago when I leased my 15 Explorer and got it's remote start system working.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Did you try putting in the 'emergency' slot and then attempt to start the vehicle? Perhaps it was a bad battery in the fob.

Peter

9. Mcbooya

Mcbooya New Member

City, State:
      North dakota
      2013 Police Utility
      I would also like to know - Can you add on an antenna to the TPMS receiver in the center console to increase the range of the basic IKT key Remote Start? has anyone done this?

10. meisterhyde

meisterhyde New Member

City, State:
      Lansing, MI
      2015 Explorer XLT
      And to confirm, I successfully got my new aftermarket IKT w/ remote start keys cut at Ace Hardware for $1 each, and programmed. I did have to do the two difference processes to program them. One for getting the key to work in car, the other to get the remote buttons to work.
      All in all, again a nice cheap way to get Remote Start on these vehicles!!

11. RedBKM

RedBKM New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2014 Explorer XLT
      I bought a refurbished OEM key on eBay for around $50. It is genuine Ford but has a new key blank installed. My local hardware store would not touch it because they were afraid of damaging it. The local locksmith had no hesitation and charged me an insane 100 cents.

I tried the programming trick posted here with the 8 rapid power cycles. I heard the lock/unlock after cycle 8 but when pressing any button on my new key; the horn blows. I tried this a dozen times and never got it to work. When the new key was inserted the dash says "Engine start failure" or something. The horn blow may be an error message.

In my 2014 manual there is a totally different procedure. It requires the two original admin keys. The manual says 3 sec to 10 sec but it seemed to work only after I did this as fast as possible.
      1. Put key 1 into ignition and cycle on for 3-10 sec
      2. Put key 2 into igntion and cycle on for 3-10 sec
      3. Put NEW key into ignition and cycle for 6-10 sec
      4. Remove and reinsert new key, try to start
      5. The My Key menu should show 3 Admin keys

During this process I noticed a popup menu on the dash that displayed my 5 digit door code. It took a few tries to get it right but finally the new key would start the engine. When I removed it there was no lock/unlock function on the new key. I tried the original keys and then started the engine again. The new key started working normally after that. I have no idea what the secret was. If you have trouble just keep trying.

Off to dealer to enable feature...

12. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum RedBKM.:wave:
      I guess persistence pays off at times.

Peter

13. dont slow down

2013 Explorer XLT
      No idea. I knew right from the get go that something wasn't right when I programmed it and the key count on the car increased but I got the error that it couldn't be programmed, even though the key worked perfectly. It just quit working.

I don't have an emergency slot, I have to insert the key every time to start the car. If it was a bad battery in the fob then the buttons shouldn't have worked, and they did, it even still remote started. Haha. I ordered new keys from another company that guarantees they will program. I'll be taking them to Lowes to be cut today and will try them out. Hopefully these will work better.

On another note my uncle is asking how to enable his remote start on his 2014 F150. He has the hood switch and key already but someone is telling him he needs an antenna. I was explaining to him the Forscan process but would he need the antenna? For our Explorers that is only needed for the "long range" system right? Just hoping someone here might know a little on the F150

14. dont slow down

2013 Explorer XLT
      Programmed my new keys to the Explorer today, not a single problem or error. My only concern now is that I have 5 keys programmed to the car and I returned the key that didn't work. So know there is a key out there that at least has the fob programmed to our car. Oh well. I don't want to wipe out all the keys and start over. Even with Forscan programming PATS keys that way makes me nervous.

15. zim64half

zim64half New Member

City, State:
      Batavia, IL
      2011 XLT
      Here is my experience with this project...

I have a 2011 XLT. I started this whole process with 3 original Ford OEM keys that I received all together when I bought the vehicle used from a Ford Dealer in 2012. All 3 of them are 4 button keys and they all still work fine. Vehicle did not come with remote start.

I first bought an ELM327 from ebay. Description was: bbfly-BF3202 ELM327 modified FTDI chip OBD2 Forscan HS MS CAN ($27) This is the version wit a USB connector and the toggle switch to change speeds.

Then I installed Forscan on an old laptop.

Following directions from other users, I was able to run Forscan and activate the Remote Start feature, and also activate the menus in the Instrument panel. My vehicle has heated seats but no heated steering wheel. All i had to change were two values... one for the As Built Body Control Module to activate Remote Start and one for the Instrument panel to enable the menu choices. Everything seemed to work flawlessly with no errors. I was able to find the new Remote Start features in the menu and set them up the way I wanted.

Then I started looking for new keys.

I wound up buying 2 aftermarket 5 button keys from ebay again. Description was "Replacement for CWTWB1U793 Keyless Entry Remote Start Car Key Fob Control 5b" ($23 per key)

I went to 3 different hardware stores in the area before I found someone willing to cut the new keys. Finally a nice guy at the Ace in Geneva IL simply cut them on an old fashioned key machine - the same one they would use to make new house keys for you. The keys inserted into my vehicle just fine and everything powered up just fine - except of course they would not start the vehicle yet.

Then I came home and tried to program the new keys.

I was able to go through the procedure to get both new keys to start the car when used in the ignition switch. (insert two old keys, then new key, etc...) But both of them started throwing errors on the dash even after they started working.

One would say "Could Not Program integrated Key" and the other would say "starting system fault"

When I then tried to program the FOB to work on each new key by inserting into ignition, turning on/off several times and then pressing lock button - one of them started working - and one did not.

Both will still start the vehicle in the ignition switch - but only one seems to work as a remote key fob now.

At least on the working key - Remote start is actually working! However when this key is inserted into the ignition, it still says "Could not Program Integrated Key"

The other key - I am not sure about. I am going to go out and try to re-program it again later.

Questions:

Should I be worried that my one working key will start to not work again, since it is still throwing that error?
      Any suggestions on getting both keys to work better?
      Is there a limit to how many keys I can have programmed to the same vehicle?

Finally - should I just break down and go to a Ford dealer to buy two OEM keys?

Thanks to everyone here who added info over time that allowed me to attempt this!

-Zim

16. dont slow down

2013 Explorer XLT
      I had the same exact error with one of my aftermarket keys. It worked, started the car, remote start worked, just got an error could not program key. It eventually stopped working altogether about 3 weeks later. I bought two more keys from a seller on Amazon that guarantees programming, haven't had a single problem with them and no errors

Screenshot_20180110-123813.png

17. zim64half

zim64half New Member

City, State:
      Batavia, IL
      2011 XLT
      Looking for some advice...

I did go ahead and buy a pair of keys from the "USAREMOTE" vendor sold through Amazon as above - however, my explorer has a power lift gate, so I needed the 5 button version - which is what I bought.

I went though getting them cut, programming them to start the vehicle in the ignition, and getting the remote buttons to work.

With the first pair of keys I originally bought through ebay, only the first one I programmed (#1) will start the vehicle remotely using the button on the key.

The 2nd one I programmed at the same time as the first (#2) , and now both of these new keys I just bought from the vendor above (#3 and #4) all work exactly as they should, except that the remote start button does nothing on #2, #3, or #4.

I kind of doubt that I am only allowed to have one remote start key that works - but maybe that is it?

If not - does anyone have any suggestions? How do I get the remote start buttons to work on the other 3 keys?

Thanks!

-Zim

18. reserved50

reserved50 Well-Known Member

2013 Sport Exploder

tried it, not sure if the range actually increased over the key with built in remote range. I placed the antenna on top of a headrest temporarily (uses the 8" wide plastic antenna). Was still very inconsistent at best

The add on remote start module with the 2" wide rectangular antenna will increase the range for sure to several hundred feet at least.

I also would only buy a key off ebay that has had quite a few sold, they would be the most reliable

Last edited: January 14, 2018
    19. pgreenwood

pgreenwood New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
      Thank you for your awesome work on this thread! I bought my 2014 Explorer Sport wrecked and repaired. I'm guessing it came equipped with Remote Start activated as you suggest. I have two "arrow" fobs. It is "Push-to-Start" The RS items are currently included on the dash "Settings" menu. There is no hood switch or hood switch wiring present -- just the hole where the hood switch would be. When I try to activate the RS, the lights flash and the horn beeps. Could this be as "simple" as installing the hood switch and wiring? (I gather the wire routing is not all that simple.) I'm fairly "handy" but I don't relish the thought of "frying" myself or some innocent bystander component(s).

More datapoints: The Key status shows "4 Admin Keys Programmed". I have two physical IA "arrow" fobs. Should this concern me? Would this have any effect on RS? Can/should I clear this setting so it reflects "2 Admin Keys"?

[silly idea withdrawn]The thought occurs to me that if the hood switch simply closes a circuit to allow the RS circuitry to operate, Can I "jump" that connection under the dash or elsewhere in order to test whether the installation of a proper switch would enable the RS system or not? What two wires would I "jump" to accomplish this?[/silly idea withdrawn]

My seller says all he knows is RS did not work when he got the car. It did not have a hood when he got it.

The "sticker" that came with the car shows that EQUIPMENT GROUP 401A is included on the vehicle and explicitly including Remote Start.

The local dealer is reluctant to look at the car because it <apparently> has an incomplete factory RS setup.

I have located these instructions which appear to be correct for the 2014 Explorer. Please confirm if these directions are not for a 2014 Explorer, Intelligent Access (5 button "arrow" fob) Push to Start?

Your insights are appreciated. Many Thanks.

Last edited: January 23, 2018
    20. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      ^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
    21. RedBKM

RedBKM New Member

City, State:
      Virginia
      2014 Explorer XLT
      Update... I purchased a FTDI USB adapter on ebay and downloaded Forscan. I enabled my foglights for DRLs and remote start. I was a little confused at first because "Remote Start" did not show up in the As Built list. I found the number 726-19-01 in the non as built list however. I'm not sure why some Youtube videos show this in As Built.

Also, I skipped the IPC remote start options for heated seats because I thought that would make them come on in the summer. I learned that you have to select something or the remote start will not work at all. My original value for 720-01-03 was 0083 (which is not listed). Not changing this value will keep the remote start from working! You must choose either C8F3, F823, FC27.

22. pgreenwood

pgreenwood New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
      [post content moved to #468]

Last edited: January 23, 2018
    23. Jerry Carter

Jerry Carter New Member

2013 ford explorer xlt
      Hello. Does anyone know if Jason with pi mods is still on here? I have called and emailed him with no response.

24. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Hi Jerry. Yes Jason, jmr061, is still around. Have you PM'd him?

Peter

25. Jerry Carter

Jerry Carter New Member

2013 ford explorer xlt
    26. zim64half

zim64half New Member

City, State:
      Batavia, IL
      2011 XLT
      Is this something one could do with any 2011-2015 Ford? For example, will the same procedure and same forscan details work with for example - a 2015 Fusion?