Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

If there is an ACE Hardware near you, they will cut key. Cut my key for $2. Used directions in manual to program it.
crrobbins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last saturday i stopped by the closest ford dealer around me, the guy who appears to be the one in charge (i might be wrong) apparently knew what i was talking about, as a matter of fact, he said he'll do the same thing with his wife's explorer, anyways, he said it would cost an hour of labor, that is $105. then he said i would need new keys (plural!) and sent me to the parts dept. (i was curious to find out their price anyways) but i mentioned him 'what if i buy the key (1) outside?' and then he said he was aware of cheaper keys but he would be afraid of buying a third party key. parts dept guy came out and said one key is $125 and insisted i needed 2 keys, they would cut the keys and also program them, this programming part was not clear, i'm not sure but i think he said there's a programming fee too, another $100.... well, are you doing the math??. i also asked him about if i bring my own key if they would cut it, big NO! (liability). so if i understood correctly, this would cost me 450 at their place. i'll stop and ask at the other dealers in town soon. (columbus, oh)

now i have a question i hope someone can answer ... my xlt came with two 4-buttons fobs. i'm planning to buy just one 5-button fob. can the two 4-button fob's i already have be used to program the 5-button one? TIA.

last saturday i stopped by the closest ford dealer around me, the guy who appears to be the one in charge (i might be wrong) apparently knew what i was talking about, as a matter of fact, he said he'll do the same thing with his wife's explorer, anyways, he said it would cost an hour of labor, that is $105. then he said i would need new keys (plural!) and sent me to the parts dept. (i was curious to find out their price anyways) but i mentioned him 'what if i buy the key (1) outside?' and then he said he was aware of cheaper keys but he would be afraid of buying a third party key. parts dept guy came out and said one key is $125 and insisted i needed 2 keys, they would cut the keys and also program them, this programming part was not clear, i'm not sure but i think he said there's a programming fee too, another $100.... well, are you doing the math??. i also asked him about if i bring my own key if they would cut it, big NO! (liability). so if i understood correctly, this would cost me 450 at their place. i'll stop and ask at the other dealers in town soon. (columbus, oh)

now i have a question i hope someone can answer ... my xlt came with two 4-buttons fobs. i'm planning to buy just one 5-button fob. can the two 4-button fob's i already have be used to program the 5-button one? TIA.

From my original post:

"Any new remote start keys will need to cut and programmed to the vehicle. If you have two existing keys you can program new keys to your vehicle yourself (the process is noted in your Owner's Manual) otherwise your dealer will need to program your new key(s) to the vehicle. The vehicle can have up to 4 IKTs programmed to it. The keys do not need to be programmed to the vehicle before enabling remote start but it doesn't change anything if you do it ahead of time."

Key ordered. Hoping that my local dealership will be willing to listen to a customer about programming. I ran into this type of thing once before when I had them activate my DRL's - it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it, but they were happy they did it when we were done.

I now can start my Explorer with the new key but get a can't program key message. I did have a check engine light but cleared it with my code reader. I does not lock or unlock the doors.

I now can start my Explorer with the new key but get a can't program key message. I did have a check engine light but cleared it with my code reader. I does not lock or unlock the doors.

Where did you get the key and is it OEM? (Can't recall if you got it from me, if you did its OEM electronics).

Tried again with the manual by my side. It won't lock or unlock but does start the Explorer.

At the dealer and they say it can't be done. I showed them the paper but they said IDS won't let them enable the remote start without the modules.

I guess they want to charge me 500.00 for the basic system.

I will now look for another dealer.

Another clueless close minded dealer, lol. Move on to a new one for sure. Just trying to bend you over.

Another clueless close minded dealer, lol. Move on to a new one for sure. Just trying to bend you over.

Thanks Jason, at least they programmed your key. They did have to clear all my keys and reprogram.

Thanks Jim, at least they programmed your key. They did have to clear all my keys and reprogram.

Which means that you did you 4 keys programmed to it (wonder where they all are, lol). That also means they had IDS hooked up to it and it would have taken an additional 60 seconds to enable remote start.

Which means that you did you 4 keys programmed to it (wonder where they all are, lol). That also means they had IDS hooked up to it and it would have taken an additional 60 seconds to enable remote start.

They claimed that IDS needs to detect the modules and if it doesn't they can't get to the enable screen.
The cashier said it was more likely that they were told to not do it.

I found someone else that may give it a try. I will ask him if I can record him doing it. This way everyone can see the steps shown in post 1.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back