Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

Look at the instruction manual posted. It has step by step and has pictures.

All Banner needs is the 4 digit code on the sim card to activate it.

Yeah, but the instructions for the Explorer don't say anything about an existing module behind the glove box that you can piggyback from. The directions say to remove the side and rear panels of the center console and route the cable to the TPMS module at the back of the center console. I guess I'll try that route tomorrow.

The SIM carrier that came with the kit has a spot for a 4-digit PIN, but it's blank. I'm hoping that Banner can give me that PIN when I call them to activate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, I got it installed. The installation instructions are correct. You have to route the cable to the TPMS sensor behind the rear console. There is no accessible 100 series module behind the glovebox to plug into. It's definitely not a 10 minute job, but not terribly difficult once I figured out how to remove the glovebox and center console panels to route the wire.

Now I just need to have it activated. But there's apparently only one guy at Banner that does the activations, and he doesn't work on Saturdays. ARGH! I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to see if it works.

Okay, I got it installed. The installation instructions are correct. You have to route the cable to the TPMS sensor behind the rear console. There is no accessible 100 series module behind the glovebox to plug into. It's definitely not a 10 minute job, but not terribly difficult once I figured out how to remove the glovebox and center console panels to route the wire.

Now I just need to have it activated. But there's apparently only one guy at Banner that does the activations, and he doesn't work on Saturdays. ARGH! I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to see if it works.

So when you took out the glove box there was no 100 series module to piggyback?

So then theres no harness sitting there to plug in correct?

Your just mounting the antenna and module then running the harness to the TPMS connector in the rear center console and plugging in the pigtail harness and re-attach the TPMS to the module in console right?

So when you took out the glove box there was no 100 series module to piggyback?

So then theres no harness sitting there to plug in correct?

Your just mounting the antenna and module then running the harness to the TPMS connector in the rear center console and plugging in the pigtail harness and re-attach the TPMS to the module in console right?

Yes, that's correct. There is no 100 series module or wire harness behind the glovebox to plug the new RMST (200 series) module into. You mount the RMST module and RMU module behind the glovebox and run the pigtail harness to the TPMS module behind the center console. I guess the RMST and RMU modules don't really HAVE to go behind the glovebox since they're not plugged into anything back there. They'd probably work just as well under a seat, but the RMST would have to be mounted pretty firmly to something solid for the shock sensor to work properly.

Looking back through this thread, it looks like the assumption that there was a harness behind the glovebox came from an F-150 forum. That makes sense, because the TPMS sensor is behind the glovebox in an F-150 according to the Remote Access install instructions. That's not the case with the Explorer though.

Yes, that's correct. There is no 100 series module or wire harness behind the glovebox to plug the new RMST (200 series) module into. You mount the RMST module and RMU module behind the glovebox and run the pigtail harness to the TPMS module behind the center console. I guess the RMST and RMU modules don't really HAVE to go behind the glovebox since they're not plugged into anything back there. They'd probably work just as well under a seat, but the RMST would have to be mounted pretty firmly to something solid for the shock sensor to work properly.

Looking back through this thread, it looks like the assumption that there was a harness behind the glovebox came from an F-150 forum. That makes sense, because the TPMS sensor is behind the glovebox in an F-150 according to the Remote Access install instructions. That's not the case with the Explorer though.

So when we install these accessories ourselves do we still get the 2 year Ford accessory warranty or this gone because we didn't have the dealership install?

My dealership doesn't have a person to do it, they sub the work out to a local car audio/DVD installer.

So when we install these accessories ourselves do we still get the 2 year Ford accessory warranty or this gone because we didn't have the dealership install?

My dealership doesn't have a person to do it, they sub the work out to a local car audio/DVD installer.

I don't see anything in the fine print that says that accessories have to be installed by a dealer for the warranty to apply. As far as I can tell, the accessories are covered for 2 years or until the vehicle warranty expires, whichever is longer. That being said, if damage was caused by a faulty installation, I could see them not covering it under warranty.

Ugh. I just spoke with 3 different people at Banner about activating the SIM card. All 3 had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. They just keep telling me that I need to bring the car into them so they can look at it (and charge me). Umm....I'm in Vermont and they're in Louisiana. I think it's safe to say that I won't be bringing the car in. I pointed out that the FAQ on their Amazon store says that they will activate it over the phone. They're going to "look into it" and get back to me.

Honestly, if you can get it installed by a local dealer at a reasonable price, you're probably better off going that route. For a "plug and play" install, this has been a royal pain in the butt.

I finally got a hold of the one guy at Banner that knows how to activate the SIM card. For anyone buying the Remote Access kit from them via Amazon or Ebay (it's actually a little cheaper through their Ebay store), the guy you need to call for activation is Bobby Rousseau at 504-253-8593. Once I was on the phone with him, the activation was quick and painless. They should probably include some kind of card in the box with his contact info to avoid playing phone tag with the service department for a day.

Now that it's working, I've gotta say that it's pretty awesome. Definitely worth the money.

I finally got a hold of the one guy at Banner that knows how to activate the SIM card. For anyone buying the Remote Access kit from them via Amazon or Ebay (it's actually a little cheaper through their Ebay store), the guy you need to call for activation is Bobby Rousseau at 504-253-8593. Once I was on the phone with him, the activation was quick and painless. They should probably include some kind of card in the box with his contact info to avoid playing phone tag with the service department for a day.

Now that it's working, I've gotta say that it's pretty awesome. Definitely worth the money.

What's the name of the App you download for the phone?

What's the name of the App you download for the phone?

The App is called Ford Remote Access. It has a demo mode, so you can download it and play with it to see how it works without the module installed in the car.

For what it's worth, Chrysler charges $20 a MONTH for this functionality. The $50 a YEAR that Ford charges is a steal!

We have heard of some sellers offering to activate them over the phone, We are unable to.

Your local dealer will definitely be able to assist with this

-Benny

Benny, out of curiosity, why can't you activate the SIM card over the phone? That kinda puts a damper on ordering the kit from you since it's useless without activation, and a local dealer would almost certainly charge for activating the SIM if it wasn't purchased from them.

You might want to reconsider. The activation literally takes 2 minutes, and all you need is the year and model of the vehicle and the SIM card number. You don't even need the VIN.

Copy thanks

Benny, out of curiosity, why can't you activate the SIM card over the phone? That kinda puts a damper on ordering the kit from you since it's useless without activation, and a local dealer would almost certainly charge for activating the SIM if it wasn't purchased from them.

You might want to reconsider. The activation literally takes 2 minutes, and all you need is the year and model of the vehicle and the SIM card number. You don't even need the VIN.

I must agree, that was the only reason I couldn't order from you Benny......

We are not located within the service department therefore I dont have access to any techs that could lend a hand. I would be willing to attempt it but I honestly have never done it before.

If anyone is interested in attempting this with me shoot me a PM, I wouldn't mind learning.

Thanks,
Benny

I must agree, that was the only reason I couldn't order from you Benny......

You can order it from whoever you choose, The seller does NOT have to activate it. It is in no way branded by serial number to the selling dealer etc...

-Benny

You can order it from whoever you choose, The seller does NOT have to activate it. It is in no way branded by serial number to the selling dealer etc...

-Benny

I think what they are getting at (which is my point too) is that if they buy through them, they activate it over the phone for free. Most dealerships have a 1 hour minimum labor so going to a local dealer, it will cost them anywhere from $60-$120. It is nice having it activated over the phone.

As a side note to everyone else, those 2 piece kits are not made anymore so once they are gone, they are gone. I do not believe Benny can order that kit (correct me if I'm wrong).

Benny, let me know what your price would be if you can indeed order this kit. I'm going to be ordering one for my F350 that will be in within the next month. I don't mind being a guinea pig if the price is right.

Part # DL3Z-19G364-A

-Benny

Also, if you use this link:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/f...es/2011-2013 Remote Access_Truck3-15-2013.pdf

If you go to the last couple pages of any of the vehicles it has the activation instructions on Ford's computer systems (step by step with pictures). It is under "RMU Activation"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a 'Sticky' on this exact document.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I was aware of it though. :thumbsup:

I figured since Benny didn't know how to do it but wouldn't mind learning, he hadn't seen it or read through it so figured I'd give a direct link to the pdf in the thread instead of referring to another thread.

Back