Removable Subwoofer Enclosure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removable Subwoofer Enclosure?

C

ClutchJr

I have a set of MB Quart 3 way component speakers (61/2", 4", and 3/4" tweeter) installed in my Explorer. The 4" and 3/4 tweeters are installed in Q-Form kick panels while the 61/2" woofers are installed in the doors. I have two MB Quarts in the rear for rear fill and a MTX prefabricated box in the factory sub location. As for my amp it is a Soundsream 5 channel (40 X 4 and 100 X 1). My head unit is a Eclipse motorized receiver/video monitor/changer control and is mounted in the center console. An Eclipse 12-disc CD changer replaces the factory 6 disc unit in the middle console. I retained my stock head unit and it still plays through the headphone jacks in the rear of the middle console.

This system sounds excellent though I would like to step up the base somewhat. I would like a subwoofer enclosure that could be removed when needed to be. Any recommendations on woofer size (I plan on using two woofers), woofer brand, and enclosure detentions. My amplifier will provide 200 watts mono (5th channel) into 2 ohms and 240 watts into 1 ohm (connected to an Optima battery with 4-gauge cable). My amp is mounted on the passenger side rear under the plastic panel.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Hi, ClutchJr, you sound like you have a really nice setup with a good front soundstage. If you get the new 12s, are you going to scrap the MTX stealthbox? If you have a 10 in the factory sub location already, and want to add a little more bass, why don't you just add another 10 to the 5th channel powering the MTX and create the two ohm load? Since your sound stage with the Q-logic kicks work so well, maybe you would want to reinforce the upfront bass by adding a woofer towards the front of the Explorer. Look at this webpage:
http://www.cartunes.com/installs/92explorer/explorer.htm

Notice they put a 10 in a custom enclosure right on the hump between the two front seats. Maybe you could do the same thing to have really good sound. On a question of mine, did you have to do anything to the parking brake with the Q-logic kick panels installed? Jon

When installing the Q-Form kick panel on the driver's side the parking brake must be bent somewhat in order to exept the wider kick panel.

As for installing another 10" MTX subwoofer I considered it but I ultamatly decided for the more base capable 12" or 15" subwoofer.

Just remember that more bass can depend on a lot of things. Bass can depend on many things such as box size and excursion. If you get a stiff 12 or 15, you might get more bass from a 10 with a longer excursion to move air. Also, a larger box would usually allow some to play deeper. It would really depend on what you buy. Some 10's in large boxes will give more bass than 12s in smaller enclosures. However, there are so many different kinds, you'll really have to do your homework. Good luck though. Does this mean you are going to get rid of Your MTX stealthbox? Jon

Back