Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

I think so too! I just PM'd you. If it works out for Adam, I will order one from you too.

Matt

I would imagine that if you didn't like the brace/it didn't work for you, that you can sell it on your own and not have to worry about the 15% restocking fee. The other side of that argument is that if you decide against the brace after trying it, you are only out about $40--Benny's price seems quite good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I don't worry much about the restocking fee. When you do things like this you always have to be prepared that something may not work out and may set you back some $$.

Yeah, Matt, that price is outrageous. Wait for my results, if you can, and then order one from Benny too. Looks like that dealer is trying to take advantage of the situation.

I received the brace today, thank you Benny. It will fit. It's clearly designed to fit the bolts on the sides that were holding the seats (two on each side) and those four bolts towards the front that were holding the seat supports.

Unfortunately, I will have to remove at least one side panel to insert the brace so it'll need to wait a few days.

Also, the brace really needs to be painted unless you plan to build something up on top of it, it's bear metal with unfinished welds and some oxygenation. So it needs cleanup, sanding and painting. I'll see if I can get it powdercoated somewhere. If anyone knows a place around NYC that does sandblasting and powdercoating please let me know.

Also, the brace has two extra bolts welded to it that stick upwards, obviously for mounting something on top of it so they will need to be cut off. But they may also come handy if you actually want to build up something on top of it.

Finally, the brace will clearly get in the way of some cargo, it will make the space less accessible but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind. I may actually put something flat on top of it later.

More details and pictures will come in a few day.

Here is the location of the two bolts sticking up:

FordBrace.jpg

Thank you for the update Adam, We were a bit surprised by the size of it as our shipping department reported to us.

Cant wait for some photos!

-Benny

I expected the size, no real surprises here. I'm trying to get it powder coated before I put it in so it may be a few more days.

Thanks for the update Adam! Definitely looking forward to pics. I ended up ordering one from Benny last week, I figured the price was worth the risk. It should be here pretty soon, just waiting for shipping confirmation.

Does it sit fairly even? Or does it stick out over the spare tire hole? We are going to take ours in to get Line-X done on it before install, since that's what we're getting done in the entire cargo area.

Matt

Thanks for the update Adam! Definitely looking forward to pics. I ended up ordering one from Benny last week, I figured the price was worth the risk. It should be here pretty soon, just waiting for shipping confirmation.

Does it sit fairly even? Or does it stick out over the spare tire hole? We are going to take ours in to get Line-X done on it before install, since that's what we're getting done in the entire cargo area.

Matt

I think it will stick up, not perfectly flat. I'm getting it powdercoated tomorrow. If they can do it the same day I will install it right away.

So you/re removing all carpeting in the cargo area?

Hey Adam! I don't mind it sticking up, but I'm worried it is going to stick out towards the rear of the vehicle, overtop of the spare tire well.

We are going to remove all of the carpet from behind the 2nd row seat to the back, and get it done with Line-X. Our Setina partition just came in today, the wife is down picking it up from Edmonton right now. It will go right behind the 2nd row seats. Our window bars just came in today... these go inside the rear side windows, and the rear window... to protect the dogs from glass in the event of a collision.

The brace just shipped to me today, I think I'll get it sprayed too before installing it, to make it easier when they do the Line-X.

I will post a thread with pics when I get everything together and start installing.

Matt

Hey Adam! I don't mind it sticking up, but I'm worried it is going to stick out towards the rear of the vehicle, overtop of the spare tire well.

We are going to remove all of the carpet from behind the 2nd row seat to the back, and get it done with Line-X. Our Setina partition just came in today, the wife is down picking it up from Edmonton right now. It will go right behind the 2nd row seats. Our window bars just came in today... these go inside the rear side windows, and the rear window... to protect the dogs from glass in the event of a collision.

The brace just shipped to me today, I think I'll get it sprayed too before installing it, to make it easier when they do the Line-X.

I will post a thread with pics when I get everything together and start installing.

Matt

Yes, it'll go slightly over the spare wheel well, but I can't tell how much right now. Yes, I'm curious to see your project, please post some pictures!

Adam, Not sure what your plans are for your cargo area, but I am finding that the setup of the spare tire well and the cross brace is going to create a lot of useless space.... I'm thinking of ordering one of these:

http://www.havis.com/products/TRNK_TOP_PLT_INUT_13_14_SP-53607-1008.html

Matt

Oh, I know that. It won't matter much to me, I just dump bags in there, camping gear, etc. I also thought about that cargo plate, it's nice, you can lift it, etc., but I don't want to spend that much on it. I'm also not sure what other parts and modifications (see their note: "Does not work with retail Ford Explorer") may be required to install it. Once I have the brace mounted -- likely tomorrow -- I will consider perhaps putting a carpeted platform on it made from plywood.

I wish I knew a cop who'd let me look inside their Interceptor :)

BTW, here are two photos of the brace:

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

Oh, I know that. It won't matter much to me, I just dump bags in there, camping gear, etc. I also thought about that cargo plate, it's nice, you can lift it, etc., but I don't want to spend that much on it. I'm also not sure what other parts and modifications (see their note: "Does not work with retail Ford Explorer") may be required to install it. Once I have the brace mounted -- likely tomorrow -- I will consider perhaps putting a carpeted platform on it made from plywood.

I wish I knew a cop who'd let me look inside their Interceptor
I'm sure if you speed a lot you'll meet one soon enough.:D

Peter

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking I'm going to need those two 2 bolts that stick up in the middle.... I'm guessing that makes up one of the mounting points for the cargo plate.

I broke down and ordered the Havis plate today..... it seems to be the only option to create a nice flat (and safe) platform for our dogs. It's a bit of a risk since their site says that they don't fit the Explorer..... but I am finding that all of the stuff I've been buying that is meant for the utility interceptor is fitting the Explorer Sport perfectly. I think I am then going to get the plate Line-X'd.

What pictures do you need of the utility interceptor that would help? We don't have any at work (we only have Tahoes, Crown Vics, and F-150/250's) but the Sheriff Highway Patrol unit has one just North of us.... I can get one of the guys up there to snap some pics for you.

Matt

So far I was unable to find an answer to this question, whether this bar serves other purpose besides holding up the rear seats. Police cars are usually reinforced since they need to be able to ram things and withstand being rammed so the presence of that massive X-bar in the Interceptor can be a whole different story. I also asked around and I can't find a way to source such a bar. Also, the bar can't be removed from the seats easily (at least not obvious to me) or I'd have had it powder coated black and I'd put it back.

Sorry I saw this post a little late but the X Brace was used for the 75MH rear crash plus it provided the torsional stiffness the engineers needed to get that sedan like handling out of an SUV.

I have pics just tell me what you want pics of

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking I'm going to need those two 2 bolts that stick up in the middle.... I'm guessing that makes up one of the mounting points for the cargo plate.

I broke down and ordered the Havis plate today..... it seems to be the only option to create a nice flat (and safe) platform for our dogs. It's a bit of a risk since their site says that they don't fit the Explorer..... but I am finding that all of the stuff I've been buying that is meant for the utility interceptor is fitting the Explorer Sport perfectly. I think I am then going to get the plate Line-X'd.

What pictures do you need of the utility interceptor that would help? We don't have any at work (we only have Tahoes, Crown Vics, and F-150/250's) but the Sheriff Highway Patrol unit has one just North of us.... I can get one of the guys up there to snap some pics for you.

Matt

I was wondering if the plate requires any additional parts or mods to the stock Explorer. So it would be good to see how it's mounted in the Interceptor. Yeah, those two bolts might be used exactly for that. However, I'm sure I won't buy this right now, it's too expensive. But yes, I'm pretty sure the body and all the bolts and mounts are the same between the standard Explorer and the Interceptor. Such a mod, however might require carpet removal, side panels modifications, etc., and I don't want to go that far.

I am very curious and would like to see your mod. So if you find some time just post any pictures you might have that would clarify the top plate mounting process. Heck, I may get convinced to get one next year, although I'm going to cut these two bolts off for now because they will rip through any bags and gear. I can always drill holes and just use any other bolt if I ever need to.

Sorry I saw this post a little late but the X Brace was used for the 75MH rear crash plus it provided the torsional stiffness the engineers needed to get that sedan like handling out of an SUV.

I have pics just tell me what you want pics of

Thanks for responding :) As I said above, I was just curious how the top plate/platform/cover is mounted in the Interceptor: whether one would need any other parts besides the x-brace and if any irreversible mods might be required (cutting the side panels, for example). I don't want to go as far as Matt with mods, I want to be able to put the 3rd row back in a few years and makes everything as it was when I'm ready to sell the car.

But it's just curiosity at this point, I'm not going to do this anyway so I don't want to bother you for pictures. Although your pictures might benefit others in this thread.

I'm glad that we found this brace then. I'm picking it up this morning from the shop where it was getting powdercoated and will install it either this afternoon or tomorrow and post pictures. Thank a lot:)

Adam

029a6f65-283d-4683-abb7-6ff804864aa6.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you:) So that seems to me that you'd have to cut the side panels to mount this. That's more than I'm willing to do.

Back