Removing or Trimming Front Air Deflector / Dam | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing or Trimming Front Air Deflector / Dam

I would definitely be interested in getting a lift for it. I'm not sure if anyone will make one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's always machine shops to make spacers. Just get some cardboard, make templates of the top of your struts, etc. then go down there, and have them make some like 1 or 2" thick, round spacers out of high grade aluminum. It's been done for like Touaregs and some other vehicles with no aftermarket.

TomTom, that's the reason I kept my '97 :D

I'm right across the river from you. Did you get yours at Downs?

Yes. I assume you are in Bayville?

For some reason I think the Unibody situation might cause problems with this

I've seen lifts on Jeeps. Aren't they unibody?

I will take this thing in the sand first and see how it does. If it handles the sand, then I'm taking down the front fascia and giving it a hair cut and put it back on. I'll post pictures if and when I do.

For some reason I think the Unibody situation might cause problems with this

as long as all the attachment points are used, than the unibody will have no affect on the suspension if you were to use a spacer ,

wild hair idea, maybe a drop type bracket for the front ifs and rear irs, diffs and all ??

have to get under the hood and see what holds the front

may be an easy peasy dealio,

I've seen lifts on Jeeps. Aren't they unibody?

Yes, but the important part is that they have solid axles.
No matter, I've heard of people doing 1-2" spacers on newer Subi's, which are definitely unibody. The unibody usually just makes it so the overall lift capability is less because of extra stuff to deal with etc.

Wait - and drop IFS/IRS brackets? Isn't that going to get real expensive right quick? I remember there was a drop bracket kit for the Exp's, but it costs like $4k just for parts. Might as well dual SAS.

Lifting it would probably really screw the stability program up.

i would think if the suspension was dropped and the sensors were still all active as they should be that the stability program would function as normal , as nothing would change except the body height,,

However seat of the pants feel may be a bit different as the tire sidewalls might flex a bit more,,

I did it! I cut about 3.5" of the front facia and it looks 10x better and has good clearance now for beach buggy activities. Very easy to take off and cut and reinstall. Why didn't they make it that way in the first place!

I took before and after shots, but I can't figure out how to post pictures.

The directions say that below the message box, I would find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. No such button found and I did NOT select "quick reply".

If I figure it out, I will post them.

I did it! I cut about 3.5" of the front facia and it looks 10x better and has good clearance now for beach buggy activities. Very easy to take off and cut and reinstall. Why didn't they make it that way in the first place!

I took before and after shots, but I can't figure out how to post pictures.

The directions say that below the message box, I would find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. No such button found and I did NOT select "quick reply".

If I figure it out, I will post them.

The reason it was created the way it is is for aerodynamics to give better fuel economy. What it does is direct air down underneath the vehicle and prevents it from going into the engine bay which would cause drag and reduce gas mileage.

put the pics on photobucket or imageshack and get the forum link embed codes,

Yes, good, yes. I'm liking all of this talk of "cutting" amongst 2011 owners...one day, maybe, in a maybe not so distant time... the 2011 will be cool...
2011_butcher.jpg

(Sorry Draper if this counts as "hating" etc. I just couldn't resist)

Ok I want mine to look like this. That thing looks great

So far I haven't noticed any side effects. To me it looks so much better. I still left some plastic to deflect debris/wind. Hope the pictures come through

Yep. looks better with out it

now that you have turned it into a project vehicle, check out the SAS section, or pioneer the first SAS on a '11.

for that matter, when ford releases an explorer model that resembles the chopped one, i'll be interested

This is kind of dissapointing that they made this front Fascia so low in the first place. I hated that I would always catch my cars front end on those parking cinder blocks. IS the Explorer at least high enough that you can pull up until your wheels hit or will it rip off the front Fascia if you try to do that?

This is kind of dissapointing that they made this front Fascia so low in the first place. I hated that I would always catch my cars front end on those parking cinder blocks. IS the Explorer at least high enough that you can pull up until your wheels hit or will it rip off the front Fascia if you try to do that?

That's a good question, I'm famous for rubbing the front fascia on my Honda Odyssey on curbs. I would hate to mess up my new EX.

I ripped mine and part of my bumper of my damn accord!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I park against a parking berm at work everyday and my X easily clears the thing.

Back