Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Removing radio if clips are broken.

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Freshmo55, July 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Freshmo55

Freshmo55 Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Sport
      Hello-

I am trying to remove my radio to put in a new HU and a cd changer. I bought the ford radio removal tools to get it out but it doesn't seem like it is going to come out that way at all.
      Every time I put the tools in and try to latch onto the clips to pull it out, it just comes right out with no radio attached.
      Do these clips tend to brake?
      Is there any way to get the radio out if these clips are holding it in for dear life?
      Any suggestions or help would be great!

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. williecume

williecume Active Member

City, State:
      Arlington, TX
      97 xlt & 98 mounti
      put the peices in the radio and pull them apart a little bit while trying to pull the radio out.

if you are doing it that way i know my explorer was rather tough to get out.

i put the pieces in about a little over one inch.

hope this helps,

4. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      2010 Escape XLT
      yeah I had that same problem. Push the clips in until you hear the click, then while pulling them out at an angle, away from the stereo, pull the stereo out. If you can't get it, see if your local radio shop can do it for $5 or so.
      I haven't heard of those clips breaking but I suppose anything is possible.