Removing rear wing on 01 ex sport.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear wing on 01 ex sport..

5ugnst1

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Removing the running boards was simple, but when it came to the rear wing it was a different story. There's only access to 2 out of 6 screws and I need to know how to get to the other 4! If anyone's removed a wing on an '01 sport before, please let me know asap. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear wing? Not following... Pics?

I came to find out that my G-pa, when he had my Ex, had a rear spoiler put in for about a grand. So it's probably a custom job and will have to be cut off and shaved down and all of that..:thumbdwn:
fu2bfp.jpg

why do ya need to take that off? Looks good to me.

I had something similar on a K-5 Blazer, but didn't look as good as yours. The idea behind the wing is to grab air off the roof and force it down over the rear window at highway speeds. It worked well for keeping snow, dust, or whatever road crud that was blowing around from getting stuck on the back glass. There was no rear wiper on those trucks.

why do ya need to take that off? Looks good to me.

I want to remove the wing because I took the running boards off and I think it will look cleaner. I think it will be worth it since I do mostly city driving.

nana, leave it on! i have to say, i like that truck.......LOTS! then again, i like blacked out sports. yours is the first that i have liked with polished aluminum rims!

I agree- that looks cool, especially with those rims... Looks good! :)

take off the back interior panel you should be able to gain access to the other screws

nana, leave it on! i have to say, i like that truck.......LOTS! then again, i like blacked out sports. yours is the first that i have liked with polished aluminum rims!

Trust me. Without the running boards the wing sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks though. I'll take a picture of what it looks like now; clear corners, t-rex billet grille, and removed running boards.:D

the panel on the gate will have clips that you can pull back around the window part. towards the bottom they are hooked on. just lift, and it will come off on the bottom. IMO, and it is your truck, if you loose the wing, the roof rack would have to go as well. but it is your truck, and you can do what you want with it and tell me to go to hell! LOL! but as i said before, she looks hot as it sits!

the panel on the gate will have clips that you can pull back around the window part. towards the bottom they are hooked on. just lift, and it will come off on the bottom. IMO, and it is your truck, if you loose the wing, the roof rack would have to go as well. but it is your truck, and you can do what you want with it and tell me to go to hell! LOL! but as i said before, she looks hot as it sits!

as for now, I have the roof racks removed and i want it to match. trust me it will look clean:D

I've got that same wing on my truck (and has one my my previous truck). You'll have some bigass holes to plug if you do. It's bolted in there good. I think if you remove the trim surrounding the hatch, you'll see how it's attached. I did it once myself (to my '00 Sport) and paid the stealership to do it on my '99 EB because I was a bit traumatized about doing it myself again. It did involve drilling some good size holes to attach it.

I've got that same wing on my truck (and has one my my previous truck). You'll have some bigass holes to plug if you do. It's bolted in there good. I think if you remove the trim surrounding the hatch, you'll see how it's attached. I did it once myself (to my '00 Sport) and paid the stealership to do it on my '99 EB because I was a bit traumatized about doing it myself again. It did involve drilling some good size holes to attach it.
im feeling the sameway myself. how much did the dealership ask for?

im feeling the sameway myself. how much did the dealership ask for?

I paid for less than an hour to get it done because they knew the drill (pun intended). The kit comes with a paper template you tape in place and then start drilling. You attach the bolts from the inside upwards into the wing if I recall (I did it about 5 years ago on my Sport so I'm foggy on the install). It took me hours to do it myself but I'm a mental midget when it comes to wrenching.

Removing it would be MUCH easier than installing it. You just can't see the hardware because it's hidden under plastic right now (on the inside of your truck's hatch).

as for now, I have the roof racks removed and i want it to match. trust me it will look clean:D

if you have the rack removed, for now (cause you would have to get the roof repainted if you fill the holes by welding, or fiberglasing them) fill the screw holes with silicon, or urethane. that way no water will leak in when it rains, or when you wash it. you MUST post pics up when you get the wing up then!

Ah...

Yeah, if the rack is removed, it would look a bit out of place.

Interested in the rackless pics! I like your sport...

I like your sport...

+1

Just don't do anything crazy like pulling out the Nite Shades. Tinted tails are a pretty dated mod if you ask me. I only see it done on ricers these days. The red tails actually provide pretty good contrast, IMHO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1

Just don't do anything crazy like pulling out the Nite Shades. Tinted tails are a pretty dated mod if you ask me. I only see it done on ricers these days. The red tails actually provide pretty good contrast, IMHO.

Night shades? The tinted back windows? Sorry I'm still new to this. But no, if you're reffering to that, I threw in two Kenwood 12" subs so I had to get the back windows limo tinted. I will upload an updated pic soon. These holidays have me backed up. Thanks again erryone!

Back