• Register Today It's free!

Removing Roof Racks...

DraG-OnZ

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2OO1 Explorer Sport
This is a question to everyone that has removed the roof racks off of their 2001+ Explorer Sports, not shaved just unbolted them and replace bolts in the holes. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any problems when doing this with leaking or any other problems. I was also wondering if you sealed the holes and bolts or just simply put the bolts back in after removing the roof racks and if it is alright during the winter (no problems with freezing and such). Any other tips and/or suggestions regarding removing the roof racks are appreciated (even tho it is a very simple project)!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you looked to see if the holes really go all the way through or are they "blind" where water can not enter the truck? (Now I'm curious so I'm going to check mine tonite on my '99.)

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport and i'm pulling my roof racks off today actually. What you should do is talk to Black Magic on here he has a black 2001 Sport and took his off. I had an idea of this awhile back with putting the screws back in with rubber washers that i got. When i get it doe i'll reply with weither it worked or not. I think older Explorer's have to really shave them. If you want it done show worthy get the holes filled but i want the option to put them back on later if i need them. Good Luck and talk to Black Magic.

Johhny Island is right. I removed the rack and then just put the screws back in. I have pics up on my site. Since then I hand panted the screws black to match the truck. Now they are hardly noticable.

Removing Roof Rack on 2007 Explorer

I am trying to remove the roof racks from my 2007 Explorer. When I snap off the plastic covering it exposees two screws. They look like hex screws however I can't find one that seems to fit. Are these special size screws? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
sheltie

my rof rack on my 95xlt has the holes goin all the way thru. since it was rolled half the rack is broke i plan on taking the rest off and sandin it and fillin the holes just havn't done it yet

No leakage, no special sizes...

I am trying to remove the roof racks from my 2007 Explorer. When I snap off the plastic covering it exposees two screws. They look like hex screws however I can't find one that seems to fit. Are these special size screws? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
sheltie

I took mine off because I lost the 4th "end cap" (two front, one rear, one side) and replaced the first 3. After the 4th flew off, I just took the whole thing off. The screws might be stars or hex... on my 03 they are hex, but typical hex, nothing special. One was tough to get off, so a neighbor used a dremmel to cut a part in the top, then a flathead screwdriver to get it out.

And yes, they will leak if you don't tighten them back, use a small amount of sealant, then paint over them. Or tighten them, and maybe they won't leak... who knows. But the paint (I think) is a must :thumbsup:

Thanks,
sheltie

They are star screws. I just used the star tool on my multi-tool I use for bicycles.

i need help removing the roof racks on my 99 eddie, any suggestions would be helpful

i took mine off a few months ago and i have had no leaking. before you put the screws back in i took some waterproof silicone, coated the screw, then while it is still wet put the screw back in the hole so when it dries it completely seals the hole.

I've got the racks themselves off... however I cannot get the stupid screws to break free (years of sun and rain abuse is the likely culprit) - anybody have similar issue? It doesn't look bad with just the rails on, but I want them off. I've used penetrating oil, to no avail... next on the list is my Dewalt XRP drill lol.. but that thing has a nasty habit of breaking old screws. I don't want half a screw down there being the only thing that keeps my interior dry lol. Oh its a 1997 Sport.

I took the rails off my '01 Sport a year ago for aesthetic reasons and it certainly looks sleeker without them. It might take a bit to break the hex screws free but there are no special sizes or anything. I put a bit of ordinary silicone automotive sealant on the threads--the same I used to seal the taillight housings--and I haven't had any leaks. A bit of paint came off with the rails so you might need some touch up paint. I think removing them is a solid choice as the absence of crossbars on the sport models means the uses for the roof rails can be counted on one hand.

No racks here. Removed, jammed hole with black RTV and ran 1” body trim down length of previously tracked area. No leaks, 2 years on the 5th Gen, 1 year on the 2nd Gen.

7DC88C7E-748D-4F92-A391-C0956C4505BA.jpeg

Back