• Register Today It's free!

removing trans.

92xplorer2wd

Reaction score
City, State
arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT
ok i started pulling the trans today and was wondering if you get the torque, convertor bolts through the starter holes or take it off after the trans. is out.
Is it easier to remove the y pipe or work around it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the TC bolts before removing the trans. And yes it is WAY easier to remove it without the Y pipe in place. (and a PITA to get the damned thing off..... use a penetrating type oil a couple days before....and use 6 point sockets.) I am told it can be done leaving it in place, but I cannot imagine how.

ok thanks for the help. and also does the convertor drop in a couple of times like a chevy or does it just slide in? thanks

There will be a couple drops. twist as you insert.

I would remove the Y pipe for sure just to get new bolts in there for anything else that you may want to remove later. It gives you more room. And I got the TC un-bolted though the starter hole and turned the crank with a braker bar to each stud.
Taking a tranny out is the easy part. Getting it back in correctly takes a little finess.

Good luck

Back