Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Repack front wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by drstein, February 20, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      Year and Model:
      1994 XLT
      I've searched through a few other threads, and that's why I'm asking. I went to have an alignment done on my 94 Ex and the shop said they couldn't do it because my front wheel bearings needed to be repacked. The mechanic had the Ex up on the lift and was able to wobble my front wheels around quite a bit.
      They quoted me around $350 to do the job. I opted to wait and check here first. I'm reading that you need to do that on 2WD Explorers, but mine is 4WD. Do I need to have this done?
      It has about 190k on it, and I have never had it done. I do experience a wobble when going over 68 mph on the highway and a slight vibration. The tires are brand new and have been balanced, but it did this on the old tires too.

Is this something that I can do at home easily?

Cheers!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Verno

Verno Active Member

City, State:
      Waynesboro, TN
      Year and Model:
      94 XLT
      Yes! If they haven't been done - you should at least repack the bearings, if not replace them. Be sure to look closely at the races (part the bearing rolls on in the hub) and spindle for any signs of excessive wear. My new barings (from O'reilly Auto parts) came with new races, so I replaced them.

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Once you get the right tools its easy to do... I'm assuming you still have the factory automatic hubs which means you need the 2 3/8" hub socket. Other than that the rest of the tools are normal hand tools (torque wrench is good to have too)..

If you have never done bearings before the hardest part will be packing the bearing with grease.. They sell things to help with that. There is the cut with the plunger looking thing that will fill the bearing with grease. There is also the thing that you put the bearing into and use your grease gun to fill it with grease.

I still do it by hand... I never looked for instruction on how to do it by hand but I'm sure its out there on the 'net.

If you can't find the instructions on here on how to replace your bearings using the search just post back.. I'm sure one of the EF members with good search skills will be able to find it for you..

~Mark

5. James909

James909 Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
      Here is a really good write up you may want to take a look at. It is a how-to about brakes but all the information that you need to know in order to repack the wheel bearings is in there.

6. Explodr94

Explodr94 Active Member

City, State:
      Vista, CA
      Year and Model:
      1996 XL
      I had the same situation on my Ex. I agree with everyone else, but I would add that you should always replace the races with new bearings. 190K there is wear on the races as well as the bearings. IMHO Timken makes excellent bearings. After I did the repair, the shop that couldn't do the alignment, said they still couldn't do it because of play. The issue with my Ex turned out to be play in the steering box, not the wheel bearings. I found a shop that does alignments the old fashioned way (giant calipers) and the got it done.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      Year and Model:
      86-98 Ranger STX
      The price that shop quoted you for repacking the front bearings is outrageous!

You could just about replace all the parts in the front axle for that fee...

The actual work is not all that difficult, and can easily be done at home. I'd replace all the bearings. Costs for Timken bearings should be under $20 a piece. ALWAYS replace the races with the bearings. The old ones knock right out with a punch. Just tap them out in each direction -- the front out the front, the rear out the rear. Also, replace the wheel seal on each side.

Total time should be under an hour a side.

8. sniffer1974

sniffer1974 New Member

City, State:
      circleville ohio
      Year and Model:
      1996 xlt
      does anyone have a picture of front wheel bearing repair 4wd 1996 explorer

9. James909

James909 Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
      Last edited: January 17, 2011
    10. emberswzd

emberswzd New Member

City, State:
      Port Richey, Fl
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT, 4WD
      Ok I am confused... According to what I am reading here You can repack the bearings.. But a few post later James909 states that you have to replace the whole hub assy. I have a 2001 explorer xlt 4wd... I will be doing Lower Ball joints and want to repack everything i can while i have it apart or do i have to change the whole bearing assy?? Thanks Joe E

11. Maniak

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      That is because your reading a thread that talks about 1st generation explorers and you don't have a 1st generation explorer. As I understand it, your 2001 is bearing assembly and you don't replace the bearing or repack them.

~Mark

12. glfredrick

glfredrick Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky
      Year and Model:
      86-98 Ranger STX
      Yup!

13. James909

James909 Active Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
      As mentioned, only 91-94 Explorers have bearings which can be repacked. Sorry for the confusion, the link in post #8 was referring to the post above it which asked about a 2nd generation like you have, but the rest of the thread is pertaining to 1st generation Explorers. I went back and edited that post to hopefully clear things up.

14. emberswzd

emberswzd New Member

City, State:
      Port Richey, Fl
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT, 4WD
      Ok then what is 1st generation, 2nd generation etc...etc...And what generation do I Have??? Sorry to sound truck dumb, I'm an aviation mechanic LOL

15. Maniak

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      1991-1994 is 1st gen.
      1995-2001 is 2nd gen.

If you have independent rear suspension then your beyond 2nd gen.

~Mark

16. emberswzd

emberswzd New Member

City, State:
      Port Richey, Fl
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer XLT, 4WD