How to: - Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Replace Front Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
You, sir are very welcome. I talked to you before about being stationed at Kaneohe from 85-87 and the awesome beach at Kailua Park. Man, I sure do miss Hawaii. Shaka, Bra! :thumbsup:

Roger that.

From the top of the hill in my back yard I watch the Marines practicing urban combat training at Bellows.:salute:

Those guys have my respect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Roger that.

From the top of the hill in my back yard I watch the Marines practicing urban combat training at Bellows.:salute:

Not a bad beach at Bellows. :cool:

Thanks for the AWESOME detailed instructions and the pictures to go with it. Being a female that like to do things for herself. I was able to FIX it and I now have heat!! Not to mention I just saved a lot of money. (p.s. I didn't have to cut the dash!)

Roger that.

How is it there?
My brother is a Navy pilot (P3 Orion) and just got stationed there earlier this month. Hoping to get out there and pay him a visit in the near future. It will be the cheapest way I will ever get to Hawaii.
Although it's no fun having them so far from home now that Brunswick has closed.

Thanks for the AWESOME detailed instructions and the pictures to go with it. Being a female that like to do things for herself. I was able to FIX it and I now have heat!! Not to mention I just saved a lot of money. (p.s. I didn't have to cut the dash!)

taz3, you are very welcome. Glad I could help out. Nice to have heat again!!!!!

Good on you, girl. You know that guys are easily enamored with girls that are handy? ;)

Me, I'm taken - 30 years now. :cool:

How is it there?
My brother is a Navy pilot (P3 Orion) and just got stationed there earlier this month. Hoping to get out there and pay him a visit in the near future. It will be the cheapest way I will ever get to Hawaii.
Although it's no fun having them so far from home now that Brunswick has closed.

It's perfect. Having your bro out here is the perfect excuse to get some quality time in the Polynesia at a discount. Have your bro hook you up with the Inn on Kaneohe MCBH (can't recall the name of it) - he can sponsor you there, saving even more. Rental cars are cheap here. Is your bro transferring to P8's when they come on line?

One of the great benefits of living here is having freinds and family come and stay with us - we pretty much run our house like a free B&B for them. They can stay with us (we have lots of bedrooms), and use all our stuff (surfboards, kayaks, snorkel gear, etc, even the spare car) and since me and the wife go to work before they get up - they have free run of the place all day. Then we come home and grill out some killer fresh fish or steaks and make Mai Tai's using pineapples that we grow in the back yard, and watch the sun set.

Yeah, you gotta do it.

Bummer about Brunswick for sure. I get to Portsmouth (Kittery) from time to time, and Bar Harbor is one of my favorite vacation spots.

Heating Issues

I think what you did was excellent. Im having heating issues. My blowers work and blow out cold air. I used to get nothing but hot air and now all I get is cold air. Have any suggestions? Looking for help

I think what you did was excellent. Im having heating issues. My blowers work and blow out cold air. I used to get nothing but hot air and now all I get is cold air. Have any suggestions? Looking for help

I note in your profile that your Ex is a '98. Been a long time since I sold my 2nd gen. I recommend that you post your question in a new thread there, where someone familiar with you model responds with correct answers.

Thanks for the write up, helped a bunch. I cant believe a dealer would charge $800-1000 for this job. Highway robbery. Took me maybe an hour to do this after I looked at the write up, but I guess it worked out cause i charged the customer $300. Thanks again!

Glad I could help out!!!

Big Rondo,
Thank you!!!!! You saved me a lot of money. I follow your best directions ever and had no problem replacing the motor in my wife's 03 explorer. There was no way I could have done this without your step by step directions. I used the dealer motor at a cost of $69.70.

Big Rondo,
Thank you!!!!! You saved me a lot of money. I follow your best directions ever and had no problem replacing the motor in my wife's 03 explorer. There was no way I could have done this without your step by step directions. I used the dealer motor at a cost of $69.70.

Glad I could help!!! :biggthump

BigRondo, thanks for the pictures. I knew about the earlier thread, but without your clear directions I couldn't have done it. I'm not too mechanically inclined and it took me most of the day on my 2005 Ex. Here are things I had to do with mine.

1) The old actuator simply would not come out easily and the new one would not go in at all. I finally took the clips off the support strut (picture 4.a) to get the new one in. The clips on mine protruded about 1/8" inside and prevented the actuator from passing by. The clips are easy to remove and put back.

2) I didn't have a universal joint on the socket wrench, so to get the upper screw out, I started it with a box wrench (approach from the 10 o'clock position). Once this screw had backed out some, the socket wrench worked. Similarly I put the final tightening on with the box wrench

3) I didn't cut the dashboard and could not get the front screw back in. My fingers are too big to get it started by hand. I'm going to leave the actuator held in by two screws. If it doesn't work, I'll start over and cut the dashboard next time.

4) There are some minor differences getting the console out. Nothing that's not obvious, but a total neophyte might not notice the plastic push pins at the front.

Thanks again.

DeSob
try removing your radio trim panel.
It just pops off (use a butter knife or putty knife to keep from scratching it.) you can get to the top screw from there. Use a little dab of silicone on the screw threads and start it into the acuator with needle nose pliers. This will hold the screw in place so you can get a box wrench in there.

BigRondo, thanks for the pictures. I knew about the earlier thread, but without your clear directions I couldn't have done it. I'm not too mechanically inclined and it took me most of the day on my 2005 Ex. Here are things I had to do with mine.

1) The old actuator simply would not come out easily and the new one would not go in at all. I finally took the clips off the support strut (picture 4.a) to get the new one in. The clips on mine protruded about 1/8" inside and prevented the actuator from passing by. The clips are easy to remove and put back.

2) I didn't have a universal joint on the socket wrench, so to get the upper screw out, I started it with a box wrench (approach from the 10 o'clock position). Once this screw had backed out some, the socket wrench worked. Similarly I put the final tightening on with the box wrench

3) I didn't cut the dashboard and could not get the front screw back in. My fingers are too big to get it started by hand. I'm going to leave the actuator held in by two screws. If it doesn't work, I'll start over and cut the dashboard next time.

4) There are some minor differences getting the console out. Nothing that's not obvious, but a total neophyte might not notice the plastic push pins at the front.

Thanks again.

Glad I could help out!! :biggthump

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! I cannot say enough about this write up. Starting out this morning with no heat...took two hours and a $70 dealer part and all done. Dealer wanted $850 to do all.

Side Note-I actually did not need to cut the dash at all. Just a little wiggling and slightly pull dash away to get part in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you saved some cash! I'm glad the write-up helped!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back