Replace Front Controls Interface Module (Sony Faceplate) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Front Controls Interface Module (Sony Faceplate)

TechFreak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Perhaps this is an off the wall question which hopefully nobody asked already (I didn't see it in my searches). I am curious if anyone has swapped out the Front Controls Interface Module (Sony faceplate with audio and climate controls) with that in the 2016 Ford Explorer? It would be nice having the physical buttons instead of the touch sensitive buttons. Would anything need to be done with the physical buttons for the A/C Seats and Heated Seats buttons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this as well.

Has anyone given this a try and have some feedback that they could give? Thanks!

the buttons are very nice!!! had the capacitive touch buttons on the '13 and the physical are much nicer. I would think they would be, seems like it would be easier to use existing wiring harness and logic and just replace input triggers with a different style button.

Good Luck!!

Yeah, I'd love to do this too. Find some part numbers and I'll give it a go.

Interested in this as well, but for an XLT faceplate.

Yeah, I'd love to do this too. Find some part numbers and I'll give it a go.

I called the shop and got the part number for this. It is from a 2016 Limited with heated and cooled seats. The part number he told me is : GB5Z18842FF

Keep us posted with the results. Thanks!

I think it would be possible and nice idea.
If you succeed plz share the pic.

I think the biggest issue is availability of parts. I don't think anyone wants to spend 100s of dollars on a new control panel directly from Ford.

I can't find any on ebay and only 1 is showing up on car-part.com (don't even know if that is the sony version).

I think we will just have to wait for more people to wreck there vehicles and start to see this parts enter the salvage market.

Bumping up for an update - i've started to see some more parts show up on Car-part.com....has anyone tried this yet? Taking my EXP in for service today - will ask to see if it's feasible when I go

Bumping up for an update - i've started to see some more parts show up on Car-part.com....has anyone tried this yet? Taking my EXP in for service today - will ask to see if it's feasible when I go
Were you able to find anything out?

Looks like users are able to swap the FCIM out on the Fusions. So that's a good sign. My question would be (Since it looks possible now) is would there be any errors since the 2015 Explorers do not have a front camera system but the FCIM comes with a camera button. Another question is if a user swapped out the Myford Touch with a Sync 3 (A Sync 3 vehicle with a front camera) if it would be possible to run the appropiate wire(s) to get that camera to work like on the 2016/2017 models.

Link to Fusion Forum where people are swapping out the Sony FCIM with a physical button style:
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881

Just checking to see if anyone out there has given this a shot yet. I have been waiting for a 2016 to hit the salvage yard with the appropriate buttons (Heated and Cooled Seats) with no luck yet.

It's been quite a while since I have posted this. Has anyone given this a try yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been quite a while since I have posted this. Has anyone given this a try yet?
The part number GB5Z18842FF does not seem to exist. Part numbers usually have a dash (-) in them. I tried GB5Z-18842-FF and nothing comes up. I am quite sure that no one has attempted this change or else they would likely have posted about it.

Peter

Back