• Register Today It's free!

Replace front seal?

ErnieX

Reaction score
City, State
Melrose, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
The front seal is leaking on my 96 X a/c compressor. How difficult is it to just replace the seal and how reliable, typically, will the repair be. I know I could just replace the comp. but this would be much cheaper to do and could borrow tools from AZ to pull clutch. I have all tools needed to evac and recharge and would also replace orifice tube and accumulator.

Thanks

EE

Is your old compressor still working well?

The compressor is just a Nippondenso FS-10 that you can replace the front seal and body seals easily with pretty much standard hand tools... The front seal and reseal kits are usually available from most a/c shops or online from most a/c sites...

If you would like to see a teardown guide let me know...

BTW the reseal kit and/or front seal cost the last time I bought one was around 25 bucks and took about an hour....

Was it necessary to remove the compressor from its mounted position to replace the seal? Is it necessary also to have any new o-rings on hand?
My front seal is leaking, ordered the seal kit from autozone. But was told I needed a puller for the clutch for access to seal?? I know this thread is 10 years old. Not a good sign!

Back