Replace power running boards, with fixed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace power running boards, with fixed

thebrakeman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
I'm tired of the power running boards on my '06 Mounty. Each winter, the boards seemed to be slowing down more, or not retracting all the way. Last winter I pulled the fuse to leave them retracted. Spring 2017, I tried removing them to follow the clean/lube procedure I found here. After breaking a weld-nut on each side, I decided to snug the remaining fasteners back in place while I still could. Now, back to winter, I've locked in retracted position again.

So, I want to find some fixed running boards, have painted if necessary, and let a shop cut the existing fasteners and install the fixed boards.

Has anybody done this? Are there aftermarket boards that won't look too "rugged" on a Mounty? What about the used market? I'm concerned about going to a junk yard, and getting stuck with more broken weld-nuts.

I have done that.
When we bought my son's 07 EB, the boards were retracted down and stuck. I tried to clean them, lubricate them, and all I did was break that stupid alloy brackets that they are made off.
I checked few salvage yards around here in NY/NJ and found a pair of original EB running boards for 100 or 150 bucks in almost perfect condition.
With a small impact gun, it took me about 30 minutes to replace them. I believe all the nuts are 13 mm. The only thing is, the fixed ones have 3 support points, while the electric just 2 so you just need to get few extra M8-1.25 bolts and nuts and use them on the middle support.
If I did not know, it looks factory 100% now.

Cool. I was pretty sure someone here had done it.
1. When removing, did you break any of the weld-nuts up in the frame? If so, did you end up cutting the bolt-heads, or how did you remove, as mine were spinning free (bolt rusted to the nut, with no way to hold the nut).
2. For the middle support, is the support already in place, with the hole? How do you get the nut up into the frame? I've installed hitch receivers before, where you have to fish bolts thru the frame from the end. Is it more simple than all that?
3. After unplugging the motors, was your son left with the instrument panel giving any errors?

1. Maybe I was lucky but all 8 nuts came off easily and the bolts remained in the frame ready for the new boards. But if you need to cut them...see #2
2. There are already holes in the frame and I simply put the new bolts with washers thru with my fingers and used new nuts, did not have to use any fish wires (like on my receivers or plow mounts - I know what you are talking about:) ) I may have issues removing them if I ever need to since the bolts will be spinning freely rusted with the nuts, but I am not planning to touch them ever again.
3. No error codes whatsoever. I just tacked the plugs under the car with zip ties and a tape.

Hope all that makes sense.

Back