Replaced my 3rd row power seat with a manual one. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced my 3rd row power seat with a manual one.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
I am surprised it lasted that long actually. 12 years / 250 k miles, and my passenger side 3rd row seat would not elevate. Since the price for a single motor and gearbox assembly goes in the neighborhood of $ 300 and thinking that the other one will go soon probably, I could not justify $ 500-600 expense for that. My son's 07 Eddie Bauer has a manual 3rd row and it works just fine, I can use my hands to lift them once in a while :)
I removed the seat assembly from the truck and then grinded off the rivets and then just yanked it out of the seat - it's not that easy. I cracked open the gear box and I see where things go wrong - the motor has a metal worm on the shaft, while the seat has a plastic one, few of the teeth broke off creating a gap on that sprocket. I'l post pictures when I find them. You can't fix it.
I searched the local salvage yards and found a complete bench in the same color, leather(like) for $ 125.
I picked it up last week, the total swap takes probably 30 minutes, no more. Now I am set for life :)
The electric half working one goes on eBay to get some money back unless someone wants it from here.

The original seat out
gaE8Wyu.jpg

The one from salvage yard, needs a little of cleaning on the cargo side
hWf1U9l.jpg

Installed, perfect condition on the passenger side
w2qq17j.jpg

This is going somewhere for sale
x0akX9e.jpg

eT9Vwhe.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent work as always. What are you going to do with the switches? Leave them in? Install an inverter and a power port for a blender for margaritas?

You read my mind Eddy :)

It will become a power outlet, I also thought about a low wattage inverter as well.

I need to find out on eBay or amazon my options for 12v / 110v outlets that I can paint to match the trim color.

so the real trick is finding a replacement seat that is manual..... I have one that works and one that is stuck up... i'll start looking around. thanks for the post

That was my thought, those motor/gear box assemblies are doomed to go bad so why spending hundreds on something that will break again any moment.

There's another possibility which doesn't cost the big bucks like the Ford replacement. It involves a different kind of gear motor, like one sold on eBay and elsewhere, (shown in picture below). It's not a quick fix but once the modifications are made, it should be fairly easy to replace the motor should it fail in the future... without replacing the seat bracket, etc. The YouTube video is here:
"
2007 Ford Explorer Third Seat Motor reDesign and Replacement"

image_85d3955def9ea48c138526cb733a70c22c0a9a24.png

Back