Replaced sending unit, still no fuel gauge reading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced sending unit, still no fuel gauge reading

Punjab

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
The fuel gauge on my 94 Limited hasn't worked (properly*) for probably 7 or 8 years. Every time I get to 300 miles on a tank I'd refill.
Well I finally got around to the task of cutting a hole in the floor, pulling out the old sending unit, removing the original pump and placing it on a new sending unit with a new strainer, and placing that back in the tank. And replaced the fuel filter.
Turn it on and still no reading at the gauge... fffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-!!!
What do I check next?

*I mentioned it hasn't worked properly for 7 or 8 years. What I mean by that is the gauge would often show an initial full reading when I turned the Explorer on. But over the course of a couple miles the gauge would slowly but surely drop to empty and remain there for the duration.
This morning when I turned it on after replacing the sending unit it just stayed dead on the empty side. I threw my hands in the air and came in to take a multi-hour/beer long break.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

So I started looking over the old sending unit that I removed and sure enough the brass float has a hole in it. A fair sized one right where it connects to the wire hanger.

This made me question the sending unit I just put in. So I popped the lock ring back off and shined a flash light in there. I've currently got a full tank of gas and the float is clear up at the top of it, floating.
Turned the key and still reads empty. Although the gauge did move around a little again. When I turned it on it was already above empty and it dropped down and then slightly lifted again.
In conclusion, I don't think my sending unit is bad and I don't think my gauge is necessarily bad.
The truck runs great and doesn't cut out or experience a loss in fuel at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Back