1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Replaced sending unit, still no fuel gauge reading

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Punjab, January 7, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Punjab

Punjab Member

City, State:
      Colorado
      Year and Model:
      '94 Limited
      The fuel gauge on my 94 Limited hasn't worked (properly*) for probably 7 or 8 years. Every time I get to 300 miles on a tank I'd refill.
      Well I finally got around to the task of cutting a hole in the floor, pulling out the old sending unit, removing the original pump and placing it on a new sending unit with a new strainer, and placing that back in the tank. And replaced the fuel filter.
      Turn it on and still no reading at the gauge... fffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-!!!
      What do I check next?

*I mentioned it hasn't worked properly for 7 or 8 years. What I mean by that is the gauge would often show an initial full reading when I turned the Explorer on. But over the course of a couple miles the gauge would slowly but surely drop to empty and remain there for the duration.
      This morning when I turned it on after replacing the sending unit it just stayed dead on the empty side. I threw my hands in the air and came in to take a multi-hour/beer long break.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Punjab

Punjab Member

City, State:
      Colorado
      Year and Model:
      '94 Limited
      So I started looking over the old sending unit that I removed and sure enough the brass float has a hole in it. A fair sized one right where it connects to the wire hanger.

This made me question the sending unit I just put in. So I popped the lock ring back off and shined a flash light in there. I've currently got a full tank of gas and the float is clear up at the top of it, floating.
      Turned the key and still reads empty. Although the gauge did move around a little again. When I turned it on it was already above empty and it dropped down and then slightly lifted again.
      In conclusion, I don't think my sending unit is bad and I don't think my gauge is necessarily bad.
      The truck runs great and doesn't cut out or experience a loss in fuel at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

4. Turdle

Turdle Step-buddy Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year and Model:
      2000 Mounty