and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Replacing a 4.0 with a 302?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Fazer, May 5, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Fazer

Fazer New Member

City, State:
      Keyser, WV
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT Limited
      I was wondering how hard it would be to put a 302 with an automatic in my '02 XLT? I'm sure it's probably been done and I was wondering how hard it is to get things to bolt up and what kind of transfer case to use and any other modifications? I think it'd be a nice swap....any suggestions?

Thanks!:cool:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TeckNine4

TeckNine4 Active Member

City, State:
      Fort Myers,F.L./Fairfax,V.A
      Year and Model:
      '94 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Whats up man, thats a shame your Limited didnt come with a V8 motor,,, Keyser, W.V. huh? Mineral county?, Ive been round' the way, I like that little old part of town with the smoke shop, last time I was there they were working on that part of town (on the roads),, I hope you can do your swap, it should be easy<, You should get a good H.O. or built 302, stroked or somthing if you do this,

4. E.B. Cornburner

E.B. Cornburner Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Oshkosh, WI
      Year and Model:
      2004 Eddie Bauer
      By the time you got it done, not only would you have killed the value of the vehicle, you could have probably bought one with a 4.6L V8 already installed.

You have to look at the big picture when you consider a swap such as you are thinking about...It's not going to be as easy as you think. All your electronics, etc. are going to be different, and even the tranny is going to be different. One of two possible scenarios is going to take place...It's either going to cost a king's fortune to do if it's done right, or it's going to be a cobbled mess.

5. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      2000 Limited
      If you are serious about putting in a new engine, I would recommend building it first:D A few people have done it with 2nd gens, and they mount up fine, but it needs the different tranny. Not sure if anybody has tried it in a 3rd gen yet, though.