1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

replacing the donut gasket in my headers...how much should i expect to spend? $$

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by bmacd, August 9, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bmacd

bmacd Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT 5.0
      The donut gasket in my headers is bad (i can hear the opening and closing of the exhaust valves from my driver's seat). Also, i'm getting terrible mileage, presumably b/c too much air is entering into the exhaust before the o2 sensors, so it adds tons of fuel to compensate for all the air.

How much should i expect to pay to have the gasket replaced? I haven't had a chance to take it to a muffler shop yet, but I also have a friend at the dealership who will do this for a reasonable price.

One last set of questions...where is the best spot to buy the gaskets? And is there one brand better than the other? What are the chances that the flanges are bad on the exhaust?

-=bmacd=-

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.