Resonant sound from new K&N intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonant sound from new K&N intake

Laserbait

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer V8 AWD
New mod installed - K&N FIPK 57-2573. I seem to have these symptoms:

1: Loud resonant howl at 2200 to 2500 RPM at over ?30%? to WOT.
-- I can feel it in the floor and firewall.
-- Mostly happens when warm, and is more prevelant when using a SCT tune.

2: Power seems to be down from the stock intake.

3: I was running a James Henson SCT tune for my series 50 flowmaster catback.
-- I also tried the SCT Tunes, but that made the sound even worse.

4: I'm back to stock tune now, and it seems to recovered some power, but it still doesn't have the performance that I think it should have.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or ideas? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sound that you're hearing is because the K&N is a plain pipe, with no sound baffles or "mufflers" attached to it, and also an open/exposed filter as opposed to the enclosed OE air filter box. If you look at the OE pipe, It has a couple of "chambers" on the sides of it where the vacuum and PCV hoses are attached. Those serve no other purpose other that to muffle the sound of the engine sucking air in the mid to WOT range. Personally, I like the sound. It gives the V8 more of a "growl". :thumbsup: If you don't care for that sound, then you'll have to remove the K&N and go back to the stock intake. That's what you're going to get with the K&N.

As to your loss of power issues: I've no explanation for that. I would suggest, however contacting Torrie at http://www.unleashedtuning.com/ for some custom tunes. He's been writing custom tunes for Ford products for years, and can write some tunes for your specific vehicle/mods. His customer service is outstanding!

Power is down, because your Explorer is fine tuned to drive and have the best mileage with the factory set up.
All of the Intake hype you hear about "Power" and better gas mileage is just that "Hype"

The sound that you're hearing is because the K&N is a plain pipe, with no sound baffles or "mufflers" attached to it, and also an open/exposed filter as opposed to the enclosed OE air filter box. If you look at the OE pipe, It has a couple of "chambers" on the sides of it where the vacuum and PCV hoses are attached. Those serve no other purpose other that to muffle the sound of the engine sucking air in the mid to WOT range. Personally, I like the sound. It gives the V8 more of a "growl". :thumbsup: If you don't care for that sound, then you'll have to remove the K&N and go back to the stock intake. That's what you're going to get with the K&N.

As to your loss of power issues: I've no explanation for that. I would suggest, however contacting Torrie at http://www.unleashedtuning.com/ for some custom tunes. He's been writing custom tunes for Ford products for years, and can write some tunes for your specific vehicle/mods. His customer service is outstanding!

I know the growl and sound increase - every one of my FI vehicles (V8's, V6's and turbo 4's - all Ford) I have converted over to a CAI of some sort, and this sound is just not normal. Way too loud, and right at 2200-2500RPM. Never had that before. I'll contact Torrie, and see what he has to offer.

Power is down, because your Explorer is fine tuned to drive and have the best mileage with the factory set up.
All of the Intake hype you hear about "Power" and better gas mileage is just that "Hype"

Thanks anyway, but that info is wrong. I have more than enough experience with CAI's, catback, cams, and ECU tuning on a Dynojet proving quite the opposite. The Explorer (like any other mass produced vehicle) is nowhere near "fine tuned to drive and have the best mileage with the factory set up". It's programed with a wide tolerance range to be able to accept the worst 87 octane gas available in North America without blowing up on the hottest of days and heavy loads while meeting EPA smog standards. There is plenty of room for fine tuning. If I had access to a 2 drum dyno, I'd be able to figure this out pretty damn quick I'm sure.

It all depends on the driving patterns of each one. The so called CAI are not really that, they take warm air from under the hood even when heat shields are installed which basically don´t do much. Dynos are not the best scenario to come to a conclusion because in the street you don´t drive with the hood open with fans throwing air at the engine bay. I´m not saying all is bad, you will get more CFMs of air and reduce pumping loses but if there is a heat soak (like stuck in traffic) you will mostly get back to where you started or close. If you do a lot of driving on the highway or freeway with little or no traffic you´ll probably are getting cool air so it should be OK.

Other thing to consider is the neck were the MAF sensor is installed. Some CAI are know to throw the MAF calibration way off and you will lose power and driveability and even get a check engine light. If that is the case you can tune the MAF signal with your SCT tuner (with a custom tune) and claim the power you could be losing. One way to see if this is the case is to check with a scanner that will give you the Long and Short Term Fuel trims, I use Torque on my mobile and a bluetooth ODBII adpter. The best figures for the Long Term Fuel trims are close to zero. if you see anything more than +10 or lower than -10 you need to recalibrate the MAF sensor. For the sound and rattle, the basics, loose brackets and/or loose hoses. Probably not the hose unless you are getting a check engine light as it will create a big vacuum leak.

Has anyone used the INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool for troubleshooting before? Is there a better tool for less money?

I can vouch for this resonance happening. YES it can become very annoying. I can make it occur when ever I want. So if you're not wanting to have a very loud resonance and vibration that can be felt. DO NOT buy this CAI

First, I understand this is nearly a year old thread but this forum isn't nearly as active as I wish it were.. Someone stumbling on here may want an answer.

With that said, the resonance your hearing is more than likely the CMCV butterflies opening up and that transitional period creates that very deep intake sound. You should not experience this noise anywhere else outside that RPM range.

The gains with the KN fipk are minimal at best, it is mostly placebo from the extra sound emitted. I love the extra noise but not worth the lesser filtration IMHO. Mine sits in a box along with the worthless and annoying air raid TB spacer.

I got that same anoying sound on my old 99 f-150 5,4 with an airraid cai.... it was so bad I couldnt wait to go supercharged and ditch that POS..... my sound was like that stupid tube kids spin in the air and it makes that whurling sound

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it was normal, and not a symptom of some other issue. The power issue I have tracked down to a couple of misbehaving ignition coils cooling system issues from a leaky radiator.

Back